Removing Hair Dye on a Painted Wall

Category Walls
Anytime you try to clean spots and stains on a painted wall you want to use care so as not the damage the paint. This is a guide about removing hair dye on a painted wall.

How can I remove permanent hair dye from my painted wall?

Val from Canada

Answers

Best Answer

Hey, hair dye freak here. I can't say it enough, LAVA SOAP! Found at your local hardware store, buy the bar. I get hair dye EVERYWHERE every month: be it purple, red, pink or blue. It is very safe since it is made to wash your skin. I use it to get the dye off my skin, sink, counter, tub. I haven't gotten it on the wall yet. Good Luck to you!

Best Answer

I have used the q-tip dipped in bleach and it worked. It took a couple secs to disappear, but now you cant tell it was there.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Confirmed - toilet bowl cleaner works! :)

Best Answer

Ajax utlra bathroom and Toothpaste, I saw it on another site when I was trying to get the dye off the floor last time I did my hair. It's also a good go to if you can't use bleach. Currently using it on my wall :/

What do I use to get brown hair dye off bathroom walls?

By Helen R from Devonport, Tasmania

Answers

Best Answer

Toothpaste helped me!! Just put some elbow grease into it and it came off easy

Best Answer

How can I remove this stain? I tried using the Kroger alcohol and it's not working. What else can I use to remove black hair dye from my wall? I need help.

Answers

Best Answer

You can try a little bit of nail polish remover to see if that'll help remove the stain. Or Magic Eraser. Then of course sand the area, primer and repaint.

Best Answer

Try a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda...mix in a small disposable cup and use a white cotton rag to gently massage the mix into a small section of the stain. If it works (every paint is different so it might not), continue over the entire area.

If you don't have the peroxide, you can try vinegar the same idea...knowing that this mixture will foam up (wait until the foam dies down before using).

Best Answer

I've done that too, gotten hair color spatters on the wall.

I made a paste with a little water mixed with cleanser (Comet) and let that sit on the spots, because the hair coloring dye soaks into the paint, and stains it because paint (unless it's glossy) seems to be very porous. Your paint in the picture appears to be a flat finish. The 'paste' lifted most of the stain out, but, not all. I ended up having to paint the wall.

I recently dyed my hair a reddish purple and accidentally have a few small stains on the wall. My mother wasn't too pleased with this. I used alcohol wipes, but it took paint off. Help!

Answers

Best Answer

Put a product like Biz or Kilz on the spots and repaint

Best Answer

It depends on the paint wall and seal/color you have. But you can try wiping with damp mild dish soapy water.

Does anyone know how to get red hair dye off of a newly painted light green bathroom wall? I used hairspray, ammonia, and gentle Soft Scrub. They haven't worked. I'm afraid to use bleach as it might turn it white. Any ideas?

By Sheri from Chino, CA

Answers

Repaint the spot with the stain on it.

Anonymous

Hopefully you kept some of the paint so you can touch up the spot. :-(

I don't think bleach should hurt your paint. Try it on an inconspicuous spot to see.

Bleach takes the color out of things that are dyed, like clothing. Paint is not the same thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol. I too have red hair and have made a lot of mess over the years. What works for me on walls, counter tops, and even the floor are the Mr. Clean Sponges. They are amazing and work for me every time. Hope this helps.

How to remove hair dye from bathroom walls?

By Judy R

Answers

If the walls are plastic like from a shower enclosure or tile Clorox cleanup takes it off.

Anonymous

Hand sanitizer takes it off

ajax with bleach helped remove paint. Make a paste and rub it out

How do I get hair dye off a painted bathroom wall after it has dried for a few minutes? OK, so my wife dyed her hair in my mom's bathroom which of course she did not see it at the time. She tried cleaning it and so did I and I think it may have eaten through the paint. So does that mean I have to paint the walls. Cause I don't think any cleaner will work.

By Josh

Answers

I think your mum just won a new paint job for her bathroom. Stuff happens. Apologise profusely and ask her if she'd like a different colour or any decoration changes while you're at the repair job.

And hey, if she's anything like me, she'll say 'Oh, there's a tin of the paint in the garage for just this sort of mishap:)' and all you'll have to do is a spot job.

painting over it will not remove it,,possibly bleach...? but anything moist will make the dye bleed...:(

How do you remove hair dye from a painted wall?

By Kate

How do I remove hair dye from a wall?

By Muriel

I use black hair dye occasionally. Sometimes I see some splashes on the walls. How can I remove it?

By Shanta

Our granddaughter got black hair dye on the wall in her bathroom. Is there anything that will remove it?

By Judy R

l have tried to remove dark hair dye from my bathroom walls with nail polish remover and straight bleach, but it won't come out.

By Judith

I dyed my hair black last weekend and it won't come out of my walls and floor. What should I use to get it out? I used everything I could think of. Please help.

By Ashley

Does anyone know how to remove hair dye splatters on bathroom paint?

I used vinegar and Soft Scrub, but only had luck getting the dye off the painted walls.

These two didn't work on the painted cabinet, which is weird because the paint here is a kind of gloss and you'd think the dye would come off easier.

The dye came off easier on the walls which were painted with flat paint.

Thanks for your help.

Smoochie from Houston, TX

Answers:

Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall

I make a mess every single time I dye my hair. Bleach on a sponge gets it off walls and floors. Everything except the vanity which is painted with a high gloss stain. Yes, you would think it would come right off a finish like that. Weird, isn't it? (09/23/2007)

By joan pecsek

You might try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was surprised what it can do. I bought a generic 2 pak at the Dollar Tree and they work just as good. (09/25/2007)

By ruthvalleygal

If it is white enamel paint, I just used some more white enamel paint and it covered it up. This was in an older house. (02/26/2008)

By Judy Jones

This is the absolute best way. Today, I did the same thing.
And came looking for ways to get it off. None of these solutions worked.

So, I was thinking of all the things, that I had in the house.
I remembered reading in a fashion magazine that using nail polish remover would work.
Sure enough it came right out. (05/11/2008)

My teenager got blue hair dye all over the bathroom. I tried vinegar all that did was take the paint of the wall (good thing it was a little spot) so I tried the toilet cleaner with bleach worked like a charm! Thanks everyone. (05/22/2008)

By Bonnie

This works every time! Especially on white walls. Put whitening tooth paste (I use Arm and Hammer with baking soda) on the spot and leave there over night. Simply wipe off the tooth paste in the morning and voowala. (08/11/2008)

By Ashley

Bathroom cleaner with bleach works great for getting it off hardwood floors and baseboards.
(08/11/2008)

By Christina

The only way I've found to get hair dye off the toilet lid and seat is to use Goof Off and a Scotch Brite pad. Works really well, but be careful because you are removing a thin layer of white coating as well. Good for one-time removal, but I wouldn't use it more than that. (10/04/2008)

By Julie

I just managed to get black hair dye on a white painted wooden door. You can get it out by dipping a damp cloth in vanish stain remover (the one for clothing) and then scrubbing the stain for about 10 minutes and it should fade and come out. Also, it didn't damage the door. (10/15/2009)

By Tiffany

Anyone know if there is any way to get permanent hair dye off of painted walls?

Shisaiah

Answers:

After dying my hair last weekend, I discovered dye spots on the bathroom wall - something I was especially unhappy about as a renter ;)

I went after the spots with Ajax and a whole host of other cleaners before I finally resorted to using some Sno-Bowl (toilet bowl cleaner) and a sponge; the spots came right out! I was impressed.

Make sure you leave the bathroom window open if you use this method, however, as the smell of the cleaner tends to hang out for quite a while.

Happy dye-ing :)

By Ashley (02/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Thanks for the tip, gonna try it on my toilet lid that I dripped on a few weeks ago (02/14/2005)

By imaqt1962

One of my hair dresses told me you can get hair dye off your skin with more hair dye. Use the left over in your container and rub it on the spot. Maybe this will work for you. (02/20/2005)

By Monita Paulson

Try Oxy-Clean. I had hair dye on my bathroom carpet that had been there for about 3 or 4 months and after trying numerous things to remove it I made a strong solution of Oxy-Clean and it took it right out without much scrubbing. Hope it helps! (06/14/2005)

By tiffany

I dyed my hair and I didn't use the gloves its all over my hands i have tried a lot of things what do you think I should use to get this off? (07/03/2005)

By mallory

Way back in the day, eighth grade to be exact, me and my friend Teresa were dying the ends of our hair blue and managed to get blue hair dye all over the painted wall, and bathroom sink. Mix powder laundry detergent with water to make a paste and leave it on the dyed spot for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it off with a washrag. If it does not come of scrub it gently with the rag and water. (07/15/2005)

By cassidy

I tried Clorox toilet bowl cleaner because I didn't have Sno-Bowl and it worked! (12/20/2006)

By Suzie

How do I remove hair dye from the bath(not plastic). (03/21/2007)

By Hazel

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.