AdviceClothing

Changing the Color of a Baseball Cap

I bought a ball cap for my husband. He has been wanting one with the Chevrolet logo on it. I found one, but it is orange, red and white. I would really like to change the orange color to blue to match my drag racing truck. Is there a way to dye the fabric or paint only certain parts of an item?

I have never dyed or used fabric paint before. What is the easiest product to use for this type of project? I cannot submerge the cap as it has little LED lights on the peak, which is wired through the hat to a battery pack. I was going to just take a blue Sharpie to it, but wasn't sure how permanent it would be. I can see it now, it rains and the marker runs all down my husband's face, although that would actually be funny to see. I look forward to your answer. Thank you very much.

By She Drags from Ontario, Canada

Before doing anything on this cap you want to keep, go to a thrift store and get a couple of caps that are pretty cheap and experiment! Try dying one, then try doing one with permanent market and getting it wet, etc. Better safe than sorry!

You can buy bottles of fabric paint in craft and hobby stores. WalMart even has it. Some of it specifically says that it drys soft.

As far as dyeing the cap, I think it might be rather hard to get the to turn out a true blue. I would think it would turn out closer to purple, as red and blue make purple.