White Residue on Dishes from Dishwasher

What causes white residue on dishes after washing in a Kitchen Aide dishwasher? It does not wash off; I must use SOS or a scratcher to remove it. (I am using Cascade packets.)

By Patty A.

Fill dishwasher with residue dishes. Pour 1 cup white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and run a normal wash cycle. The vinegar naturally dissolves any hard-water residue or film without harming the dishwasher or dishes. Add the vinegar to the dishwasher cycle every three runs or so, as needed to combat white residue. If you have severe hard-water issues, use the vinegar every time you run the dishwasher, especially when washing glassware.

I agree with the previous poster; it sounds like hard water residue. Use vinegar to get rid of it.

I used to put a cup of vinegar in the last rinse. You could also try different detergents. There may be a different kind that works better.

1st STOP using those packets! They are terrible; they RUINED my pots & had to throw them out. Even regular detergents may leave some residue but nothing like those horrid packets! For that other film, you can try vinegar, or I prefer the citrus based products - they not only work, for *slight* film, they smell great! Also you may want to read what someone wrote above, about phosphorous! It's amazing to think that we are suffering the consternation & added expense dealing with this issue, for the negligible effect on the environment that could have easily been handled by processing at the sewage plant (& probably should have, for there's other contributors than just dishwashing detergent!) while our environment is being polluted by the TONS by big AG.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesNovember 22, 2011
🍀
💘