Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes

To clean icky grout, pour hydrogen peroxide on grout, and watch it bubble. After about ten minutes all the gunk will be loosened and will wipe away. And you don't have to be exposed to fumes or irritating and highly toxic chemicals. You can also use vinegar and baking soda, but this is easier.

By Linda

6 More Solutions

I have used several cleaners to clean my walls in the office, which still had wallpaper paste drips staining the painted surface below the paper border. Regular cleaners that run down the surface make a mess.

Here are two cleaners that you can make yourself and use to clean your tiles and grout.

Cleaning Stains on Tile. When you are cleaning tile, use a bit of Coke on the stains. The ingredients in Coke will remove the stains.

I have always used baking soda and peroxide in the spray bottle with some warm water and a scrub brush and it works wonders! Spray it and scrub it. It gets the grout very clean, the white will be very very white.

Two years ago we installed a fiber glass tub/shower combo with 12x12 tiles surrounding the tub. A small amount of mold is beginning to form where the tub meets the tile grout. Can I use a small amount of bleach on the tile grout to get rid of the mold? Will the bleach hurt the tube in any manner?

Michael

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Using bleach will actually (surprisingly) worsen your mold problem. You should use something like lysol or any other kitchen cleaner that doesn't include bleach. Try leaving your shower curtain open to increase ventilation, hence decreasing your mold problem.

This will kill and remove the mould dissolve half a cup of borax in 2 cups warm water of water and add half a cup of white vinegar,Put into a spray bottle,leave it soak for a few minutes use a stiff brush and wipe clean.If the mould is old this will need to be repeated.

By (Guest Post)

I use a clorx bleach pen on grout. As long as the grout isn't one of the special "colored" ones, it's fine. However, do you really have grout meeting the edge of the tub? There should be calking around around the tub, not grout. Calk is more resistant to mold/mildue and all around a better choice for a transition between the tub and tile.

I don't understand how straight or diluted bleach can worsen mold in the bathroom. I would never think of using anything but bleach in my bathroom, the #1 area for the growth of staph.

That's correct. And if the caulking is peeling off you need it removed and re-caulked.

Answer this Question

What should I be using to clean the ceramic tile in my shower? I have tried store bought cleaners, but they leave a white film. I know that certain cleaners are not good for the grout between the tiles.

Thank you!

By Dee

Answers

I have tile in one of my bathroom showers and I use a homemade organic cleaner. I purchased a spray bottle from the dollar store, when you are ready to clean the shower, pour about a 1/4 cup of vinegar, and a 1/3 cup of Borox into the bottle, then fill the bottle with HOT water. Shake up, spray on titles, clean then rinse. It won't harm the grout, you or the environment.

I've always used The Works, but last time I cleaned the walls, I used Barkeepers Friend and it worked great! Left no residue after being rinsed off.

Borax is natural and organic, perhaps, but not harmless. Read the directions and warnings on the box before you choose to use it. I use it for laundry, but you must be aware that it is not a food substance like vinegar.

There is very little that will harm tile - that is the beauty of it. I wipe down the walls after every shower (or after the last person showers in the morning), and I seldom need to clean. That white film sounds like it is a hard water film, in which case, straight vinegar will remove it.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesDecember 1, 2011
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf790933.tip.html