Floor Grout Keeps Cracking

Floor tile grout can crack for a few reasons, a common cause is the simple movement of a wood frame house. This is a guide about floor grout keeps cracking.

I have ceramic tile throughout all my main rooms, and in a few areas the grout keeps cracking and and falls out. We have replaced it several times and are facing doing it again. It seems to always be in the same places, 90% of the floors are fine. Is there another product instead of the standard grout we should switch too?

By Jeanne

Answers

I have all tile floors, which I love, so easy to clean. I have the same issue in my living room; one grout line that goes down about 2/3s of the room, dead center, grout is cracked with a little that has fallen out. I asked my tile guy what to do, when he came to redo the tile in the bath. He says that generally it is because of settling of the building; not necessarily that you have foundation problems, but just the day-in-day-out movement of building.

He says I have 2 choices: 1. pull out grout and refill (which I have done several times without success as it returns) but this time make sure I have sandy grout and mix in a little silicone caulk for give and this may solve the problem, or 2. do nothing since it is covered by my area rug. I have elected to do nothing since the above is a maybe solution, I live in Texas where we can have a rainy year followed by 2 drought years so our soil shifts and this will probably happen again.

My consolation is it is on a grout line; the actual tile is not cracking. Oh, and mine is under the area rug. If it showed, I may have a different attitude.