Painting Ceramic Tile

When looking for ways to easily and more inexpensively update a tile surface, many homeowners consider painting the tile. This is a guide about painting ceramic tile.

I have shiny white bathroom tile. Everyone I have talked to tells me to sand it for better adhesion. I have even tried 60 grit sandpaper and cannot get it to become rough! Why?

By Kim R.

Answers

I have painted tile in my bathroom, and it is not a very satisfactory thing. Mine was quite old and had a very outdated pattern, however, it certainly was not the best solution. The previous owners did it. It is peeling off in places and I would not recommend painting over tile. Leave it alone. Redecorate by painting your walls, up dating curtains, shower curtain, and towels. White tile is quite timeless; you shouldn't have to change it to get a nice look.

I agree. The paint peels off. Don't paint it. Paint and update the rest of your bathroom.

I spoke to a professional painter about this before I did it years ago. He sent me to my local paint center and they agreed with what he told me. I had to treat the tile first with an acid type of cleaner and then paint it. I had great luck with it and the paint held very well. Just get help from a pro at you local paint center first. It does not take too much time. Do in a very well ventilated area.

I want to rough up stone tiles witch have gone full and slippery how can I do it on a budget

I need to know how to paint on a ceramic tile. I am tiling a back-splash behind our stove and want to add some decorative tiles, but need to know how to paint a design on the ceramic tile that will be washable and not come off. Do I need special paints? Do I put the tile in the oven after painting to set the paint? Please help!

By NanaMay from Mulhall, OK

Answers

I have never used it myself, but I think the stores that sell crafts have paint for this. Ask at the paint stores as well.

There is no paint that you can put on ceramic tile that will not come off. You can use a craft paint to paint a nice design, but it will not stand up to cleaning that you would do in a kitchen. You can paint over tiles (I have some in my bathroom that have been done.), but you run the risk of the paint peeling off. The former owners painted over mine, and it has stuck to about 2/3 of the tiles, but peels like crazy off of the rest. I have no idea why. A small residue of oil or whatever on some, is my best guess.

Now, if you want to glaze these tiles, that can be done, but you need a kiln to do that. I have reglazed commercial tiles with a high fire glaze. It mixed with the original glaze, and was quite lovely. I broke these up and used them in a mosaic table. However, if you are not familiar with glazes, pottery, and ceramics, this is not something you can do at home. You could go to a places that sells ceramic greenware and glazes and see if they can help you out. A place like that will have a kiln, but of course they will charge you to fire your tiles. You cannot fire pottery or glazes in an oven. An oven heats to about 500 degrees. A pottery kiln heats to 2000 or so.

I would like step by step instructions on painting the ceramic tile around my bathtub and around my kitchen walls. Thanks.

By Deanne from Cumming, GA

Answers

Directions for painting ceramic tiles: http://question  eramic-tile.html

I've painted ceramic tile before and it works fine. Just make sure you follow all of the steps listed here:

http://www.how2  eramic_Tile.html

Can you paint over existing ceramic tiles, one that is already painted by the manufactures. There is nothing wrong with backsplash in the kitchen, the tiles that are painted don't match the colour scheme. I would like to know if I could paint over them? The design, is to try to make it brighter.

By cdnoldgirl from Ottawa, ON Canada

Answers

Anonymous

Here is a discussion, to paint or not to paint ceramic tile countertops. There does seem to be a difference of opinion.
http://forum.do  hp/t-182517.html

They sell a primer to paint the tiles so you can paint them and seal them to suit what ever your kitchen decor is.

I have a tile bathroom color from 1968 and it is green. I want to spray it with porcelain paint to change the color. I want to know how to do this. DYI did this to a bathroom that was built in 1901. Can you tell me how, materials, and cost?
Thanks.

By Nansea from Nashville, TN

Answers

Here are some links to help your do it yourself job and after viewing these, you are well on your way.
http://www.doit  t-porcelain-tile
http://www.ehow  celain-tile.html
http://www.myho  id=6485&m=45
http://www.hous  hroom_tiles.html

In three adjoining rooms there is different pattern Italian-style ceramic tile. Can floor tile be painted to match that will hold up to traffic and cleaning?

mmyepiz

Answers

It is not wise to paint tile ever because most likely you will have paint chipping and possible falls.
I used to lay tile for a living and we even recommend not sealing your grout because it is very difficult to change the color. Best bet would be to have it all torn up and replaced with tile that you are happy with.

First can you paint stone looking tile and second can it be done for a shower?

By Kay

I have a tile countertop, are there any suggestions on painting? Can you paint it? The grout has had it and I can't afford a new one. Thanks.

By Michele

Is there a method of filling in a grouted tile counter and then faux painting it?

By Debby

Can oil paint from a tube be mixed with white epoxy in a kit for bathroom tiles to add color? The instructions say to use universal type tints; I am not sure what that is.

By Joann C.

Has anyone had success in painting tile countertops?

By Amy from Miami, FL

Answers:

Painting Ceramic Tile

I have seen tile (they haven't really said what type of tile it is) painted on home decorating shows on the Home and Garden Channel. I do think they use special paint. I would check in a home improvement store something like Menards, Home Depot and Lowe's. (12/13/2010)

By redhatterb

I have the ugliest island with the weirdest shade of blue tile in my kitchen. When we moved in the colors were wrong, and when we re-did our kitchen, not a lot, the colors are still wrong.

I recently got the idea that I can paint or craftily change the tiles to match my granite kitchen countertops with a dapple of the different. I am not crafty so I need a lot of help. Our granite counter tops have black, terracotta, a bit of silverish color, and dark gray.

I'm doing my accent colors of the rest of the kitchen in terracotta and an shade of yellow that is not sunny, but more subdued; think Italian villa-ish. The tile size is about 3 x 3. Can anyone help me please?

I would prefer painting them not a solid color, but will take any advice. If I can't paint colors to match the granite, maybe I can paint them solid. Maybe that would be best? Remember, I'm no artist or crafter, but would like a simple solution. Surely one of you has painted tile before. I know you won't let me down. Thanks so much.

By metroplex from Houston

Answers:

Painting Ceramic Tile

I don't want to let you down but if you are going to use this surface for cutting food, you might not want paint on it. If it is just a counter top why not make a pretty quilted pad for it that you could remove when you are using it. (04/28/2010)

By Lilac

Painting Ceramic Tile

No, I don't use it to cut food on. It's just like a big elephant in the kitchen! More like a catch all - which I'm working on changing. Anyone else out there that can help, me please? Thanks! (04/30/2010)

By metroplex

Painting Ceramic Tile

Thank you so much for your information and ideas; I had no idea that there would be so much to do before painting.

But I neglected one part; I want to paint the blue tile in different colors, to try to blend in my granite tile counters.

The granite is black, silver, terracotta basically.

Would I have to dab each color on?
Do I have to wait until the color dries before I use the next color?

Thanks so much. Your ideas are fabulous! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Painting Ceramic Tile

The back splash in my kitchen is 3X3 tiles and I used Wallies (palm tree design) on the tiles - they are wall paper cutouts. Not sure if that would be suitable for a counter top though but here is the URL (I found a design with olives - Italian theme): http://www.wallies.com/olive-tiles-products-5364.php?page_id=16. (05/20/2010)

By lcorona57

I would like to paint the back splash of my kitchen counter. It is in good condition but there are tiles that have a slight elevated flower design on them. Can I still paint the tiles? Thank You.

Pam

Answers:

Painting Back Splash Tiles

Sure you can. And if you want those "embossed" flowers to show with the new color, use a brush that is "dry" and gently brush over the flowers that are slightly elevated. You'll get an effect that is really nice, at least to me. I have frieze in several rooms. My cousin decided the bathroom needed to be painted, and that's what she did; painted the frieze white to contrast with the blue walls, and dry painted the frieze with blue on the white. Good luck. (03/19/2008)

By 2oma

Painting Back Splash Tiles

Just make sure you prep the surface properly. Tiles are usually shiny and will need to be properly prepared so paint will adhere to it. The folks at the paint dept. of any hardware or big box store can recommend the best surface prep and primer. (03/25/2008)

By painterjayne

Painting Back Splash Tiles

Pam, I just did this very thing!

My original back-splash was white ceramic tiles which had a colorful and raised flower design on several of them. All the tiles were in good condition so I figured I would just paint them. First, I cleaned the tiles with warm water and a household cleaner, then I roughed up the tiles with 220 grit sandpaper. After sanding, I wiped down the back-splash with a tack cloth to remove all dust and fine particles. Next, I primed the tiles and grout with an oil-based primer (Kilz) and let dry. Then I purchased a base color from a big box store (enamel paint) and painted the tiles and grout (didn't feel like taping the grout). The color I decided on for the base was called pebble walk. Then, to add dimension, I lightly sponged a camel color acrylic craft paint onto the tiles. This second color added with a sea sponge really hid the raised flower design on the tiles.

Now the tiles look like a faux stone. It was really easy and my husband was thrilled with the results! No more dated back-splash! I have posted a before pic below. I will post the after pic in a second post. Good luck!! (07/24/2008)

By Beth in NJ

RE: Painting Back Splash Tiles

Painting Back Splash Tiles

Here is the after pic! I also just finished painting my laminate countertops. They were a green color as you can see in the before shot. (07/24/2008)

By Beth in NJ

RE: Painting Back Splash Tiles

Has anyone ever painted the tiles in their bathroom with good success? I have a shower floor that really needs work as well as some wall trim. I found a company in southern California that uses a special technique to do it, but they're so expensive. I wondered if someone else has tried this. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Bridie M. from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Painting Ceramic Tile

I paint custom botanical tiles for a living. Of course I use a kiln and glazes (not paint) to set the colors. But if you'd like to paint your own artwork or even each tile there are several specialty paints that are made to be permanent on already fired and glazed ceramic pottery and tiles. I like a brand called "Glossies" by "Liquitex". I've seen these sold in the higher-end painting supplies at Michael's craft store. There is another brand called "Porceline" (I believe) sold at most art and painting supply stores. The main trick is to wash your hands well to rid them of any natural oils and hand lotion, then clean each tile well with rubbing alcohol before you begin.

If you don't want to do actual artwork, stenciling, or stamping on your tiles, then you should still clean your tiles with rubbing alcohol and prime them with a "high-adhesive" primer, then paint them. But to get a good finished look you'll have to go back in with a thin artist paint brush and repaint the grout lines. You may also be able to find some pin striping to use to mask off the grout before you paint.

If it were me, and I wanted a professional looking job I'd go with paint that's made especially for painting glass and ceramic (read above) and not a Home Depot type of product. But it mostly depends on what color you have and what color you are changing it to. Your best bet would be to not change the color of tile at all, but instead use a different color that you like better and use your tile color as an accent color. You can kind of make your tile color "disappear" by using another color. Example: If you''ve got a pink tiled bathroom, you could use black as your main color and buy a black rug and black accent pieces and black towels. Before you know it the pink has disappeared beneath the stronger color of black. This technique can look much better than a somewhat tacky and fake looking paint job on tiles. (if it's done wrong). (09/30/2008)

By Cyinda

How do I clean my sink ceramic tile? Can I paint it?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.