Squirrels and ChipmunksPest Control

Pesky Squirrels Chewing on Screen Door

I have some really cute little red squirrels that visit me every morning. I love to watch their antics however they have started to chew on my screen door. Does anyone know if there is something I can rub or spray on the screen which would discourage them. Of course, I do not want anything that would be harmful. I just don't want holes in my screens.

By needtoknow

Anonymous

Bet you've fed them at least once from that doorway. LOL ;-) They are looking for a familiar food source so just place some tidbits far away from the door from now on and they will be satisfied and will stop associating your door with food. Oh, and be kind because if you're going to feed animals be responsible and only feed them little treats 'now and then'. If they come to count on you as their main food source it is cruel to abruptly stop and especially stopping in harsh Fall and Winter weather.

Try fastening a piece of fabric or something of that nature to the screen, I'm thinking maybe pins of some sort. On the fabric, apply some Vicks Vapor Rub. I don't know where your screen door is located, if under a porch for example.

I am not sure if this would work but it usually work on cats and dogs. I have used this method indoors to keep our pets away from things/places that were off limits to them. They do not like the strong smell and will usually avoid it. Good luck. Let us know what worked for you once the problem is solved. Thanks.