Washing Gold Rimmed Crystal Glasses

My Christmas glasses have a gold rim around the top of each glass, so I cannot wash them in the dishwasher. Is there a way to preserve the gold rim and still wash the glasses in the dishwasher?

By carla from Greensboro, NC

I wouldn't try to wash them in the dishwasher. Just wash them by hand in hot soapy water. It won't be hard.

If these are really fancy glasses, you should likely wash them by hand - however - be aware that washing by hand can also remove stuff like gold trim if you use these a lot.

I have some antique plates that I only use once or twice a year. They have gold trim, and I wash them in the dishwasher. I figure it is going to be the least destructive, and less chance of them being dropped. I had everyday dishes I used for years that had silver trim; I suppose it washed off, but I really never noticed - the design was still there.

If these are not really expensive glasses, I'd just go ahead and wash them in the dishwasher. But that is just me.

If it were me and I valued the glasses, I would take the time out to hand wash them, dry them, and safely put them away. Just to let you know, no matter if you wash by hand or in the dishwasher the gold rim will eventually wear off.

I have some glasses that are about twenty five years old and I noticed the other day that the gold rim is almost gone on some of them. I guess no matter how well you care for them the gold will wear off someday.

Anonymous

I have many and the gold will definitely wear off very quickly if you wash, rub or use them very much. It's more like a dust than a baked on process, etc. Barely use and barely rub them. they are basically cabinet pieces, unfortunitely

.