Cleaning Crystal

Category Crystal
Whether it's wine glasses, vases or anything else crystal, your crystal will need to cleaned up after use or even just storage. Obviously, you don't want to damage your crystal so it is important to clean properly. This is a guide about cleaning crystal.

This is a guide about cleaning wine stains from crystal. It can be difficult to remove wine stains on a crystal glass, decanter, or other piece.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Hate to dust and rewash crystal constantly? Here's a simple way to achieve great results. Wash the item with plain water (if very dirty add vinegar to water). Dry immediately, making sure that the item is spotless.

Using 1/2 of a dryer softener sheet, gently rub on the crystal. The item will get a dull residue on it. Then with a paper towel (I use Bounty or Brawny), buff the crystal to remove all of the residue. The result is crystal that gleams and repels dust. I now only need to dust my crystal once.

How do you clean and polish crystal?

Nita from Wellington, MO

Answers

Window cleaner, or dish soap and water. Spray with alcohol to bring up sparkle.

I clean my crystal with water and a new sponge (NO DISHSOAP) and dry it with a smooth kitchen towel (the kind that's NOT like bath towels), or I put it in a dishwasher with just crystal and no soap on the top rack. The hot air usually dries it perfect. It makes it shiny.

All I see here are ways of scrubbing crystal. Below is a little bit of crystal lore that goes back centuries. Crystal has a history going back for ages of having curative properties and or knowledge (teacher crystals) or properties. Crystals that could be beneficial however can come under unclean influences and become other then what they were intended for. If you have a crystal that seems to give out negative influences or energy there is an ancient way of cleansing it.

All you need is a garden spade, or hoe, and some fresh sea salt. The ancients say that you go out on the night of the full moon, dig a hole about six inches deep. Fill it half way with the sea salt and nestle the crystal in it, then cover the crystal completely with the salt, then fill the hole in. Next, wait till the new moon and dig it up. According to the old lore, this will completely remove any negative or evil influences that may have accrued to your crystal. I am not claiming that crystal lore is true, however, I thought this would make a nice anecdote to the cleaning crystal discussion.
Wolf ,,,,^@@^,,,,

Whiting*
4"x4" cloth (non-abrasive); Microfiber is best.
1/2 qt. bowl of warm water, 2-3 drops of liquid soap.

Dampen crystal (plates, glasses, etc...works on any enameled surface)
Saturate cloth in the soapy water, squeeze as much water out as possible.
Sprinkle Whiting on item (or cloth) and rub (polish) item to remove any old water or food stains.

Hand wash with new soapy water (in normal, everyday method).
Dry item with hand-towel, (removing the light, mist of Whiting)....it should be sparkly clean, as never before.
*Whiting is a non-scratching powder found at Sherman-Williams Paints (used for thickening paints). Take care if your crystal has decorative, precious metals; you don't want to scrub this away if already worn or thin.

My Christmas glasses have a gold rim around the top of each glass, so I cannot wash them in the dishwasher. Is there a way to preserve the gold rim and still wash the glasses in the dishwasher?

By Carla from Greensboro, NC

Answers

I wouldn't try to wash them in the dishwasher. Just wash them by hand in hot soapy water. It won't be hard.

If these are really fancy glasses, you should likely wash them by hand - however - be aware that washing by hand can also remove stuff like gold trim if you use these a lot.

I have some antique plates that I only use once or twice a year. They have gold trim, and I wash them in the dishwasher. I figure it is going to be the least destructive, and less chance of them being dropped. I had everyday dishes I used for years that had silver trim; I suppose it washed off, but I really never noticed - the design was still there.

If these are not really expensive glasses, I'd just go ahead and wash them in the dishwasher. But that is just me.

If it were me and I valued the glasses, I would take the time out to hand wash them, dry them, and safely put them away. Just to let you know, no matter if you wash by hand or in the dishwasher the gold rim will eventually wear off.

I have some glasses that are about twenty five years old and I noticed the other day that the gold rim is almost gone on some of them. I guess no matter how well you care for them the gold will wear off someday.

I have a cut glass vase. It has a water mark on it that is white, milky in colour. How do I clean it?

By NM