Information About the Name "Gurth"

Could someone please provide information on the first name "Gurth"? It was my late father's second name. A Swede told me that it is a Scots variation of a Swedish, Viking name. it must be very old - I found information on the internet that a certain McDuff had established a refuge in the 10th or 11th century in Scotland with the name of "Gurth's Cross", meaning a shelter for people in pain/hurting. I would appreciate knowing more so much - like was it a Christian name used by certain or specific families in Sweden and if yes, which families? Please accept my apologies for typing errors. It is soooo cold in pretoria, SA today that my fingers do not want to think!

Thank you!
Carol from South Africa

Lucky you to have some cold! Most of the U.S. is in a sweltering heat wave. We're more used to that here in the south where I live, but even here it's been so hot that it is literally miserable!

I found this from somebody's genealogy page ... don't know if it will help on not.

Gortnekilleen, or Gurthakilleen, is probably "the tilled field of Cullen." "Killeen" is a better glicization of the Irish Coillin than "Cullen" is. It is situated in the parish of that name and about a quarter of a mile from the village. The word Gort, Garth, or Gurth, a tilled piece of land, is the same word as the Scottish and Northern English Garth and near akin to the English words Garden and Yard, the French Jardin, and also more distantly to the Latin Hortus.

http://www.anto … xt/emcprintd.htm

Origin and Meaning of the Name Garth

The boy's name Garth is pronounced garth. It is of Scandinavian origin, and its meaning is "keeper of the garden."

THIS IS THE MEANING I FOUND WHEN I LOOKED IT UP

a band that passes underneath a horse or other animal to hold a saddle in place, esp. one having a buckle at each end for fastening to straps running from under the flaps of the saddle. See illus. under saddle.

It seems we are never satisfied! We also had extremely high temperatures during summer, but now, with the freezing cold, we also have the damage, destruction and loss of lives brought about by the floods--- Fortunately, in Pretoria we are safe, but other parts of SA suffered so much.