Growing Plants Without Soil

Back in the mid 70s there was a company that offered their house plants through home parties. The plants were grown in some kind of lava looking pebbles and did not use soil at all. You watered with their plant food solution each time you watered. The plants grew beautifully! Does anyone know what happened to the company or know what type of pebbles and solutions were used?

By Daisy from Franklinton, NC

I was a dealer in Iowa, I sold plants like crazy but the company I worked for went bankrupt. Hydroponics is what you are looking for, and yes it was lava rocks. However, weak miracle grow and a air pump from an old fish tank works great to grow soil-less plants.

Anonymous

was is called the Lawasa System?

Thank you! My sister had some of those planters/rocks, here in NC, back in the 70's....& I have wanted to know how to get them, & you have just been a huge help to me. Thanks again! Susan

I gave many "plant parties" back in the day. Found out by trying it out myself that using small lava rocks from Lowe's and plain water in any kind of container works great for any plant that can be grown in water.

Use plant fertilizer sparingly a couple of times a year. There are enough nutrients in the lava rock for pothos to last for years. I grew them in fish bowls for coffee tables for friends.

Anonymous

Probably hydroton or lightly expanded clay pellets

🎂
📓
🌻