Frugal Living

Online Book Exchange

I just joined a free book exchange site at http://www.bookins.com

You enter in the books you want to trade and the ones you want. If anyone wants them, you print out postage on the site. The only cost is $3.99 per book for shipping (and you don't pay for the books you send.) In the first 2 days of membership, I have gotten a book and sent one off! And it is helping me to sort through all the piles of books in the house, too! We bookworms need incentive!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

I belong to Paperbackswap.com and I love it. With their site you list all of your books you want to trade. After listing 9 you get a couple of credits in your account. For each credit you have you can request a book from someone else. They pay the $1.59 postage to ship the book to you and they earn your credit you spent to get the book. It costs you only the credit. When someone requests one of your books you pay the $1.59 to ship the book and when they receive it you earn another credit to spend. You might want to check it out.

I too belong to PaperBackSwap.com and I love it too! It's cheaper to mail the books than bookins.com and PBS has over 840,000 books (not only paperback but hardback and audio as well) listed and the number is growing all the time. They also have a sister site to swap CD's.

Here's another one. An excellent site. On this one you don't pay for any books,except the postage on any that may be requested from you. Although it concentrates mainly on science fiction and fantasy novels, it also coveres other genres such as crime/mystery/horror. etc.
Well worth checking out at http://sf-books.com/ Full instructions given there on how to join, list your books, request books, etc.

I belong to FrugalReader.com - it's just like Paperbackswap.com in that you pay $1.59 to ship, nothing to request a book.

OR.........you can go to a thrift store and look through hundreds or thousands of books and buy them for 25 cents each. In my town, they are all sorted by type or subject and we have 4 thrift stores!! When you're done reading them, donate them back. That's what I do. I came home with 25 books the other day, hand picked by me and I'm happy!! NO postage at all !!! I'm also in a book swap with several friends, so the books have 6-7 sets of initials in them by the time they are donated.

I'm also a bookins member - I love it too. I have sent out over 20 books and haven't paid a penny to send them! I have considered trying PBS, but it just doesn't make sense. I will send dozens of books for each one book I receive. What good is having credit for 19 books, when I will never use them?

The thing I like about my experience with Bookins is that they have the sort of books I couldn't normally get from a thrift shop. (I have weird literary taste.) So it's worth it....& then one can recycle them again or use them as gifts!