Advice on Reupholstering Kitchen Chairs

I am planning to reupolster my dining room chairs with vinyl. The chairs have fabric bottoms and back. The backs are screwed to a wood frame. When recovering kitchen chairs with vinyl, is it better to take off old fabric or recover over it?

Faye from Tulsa Oklahoma (12/23/2005)

Advice on Reupholstering Kitchen Chairs

Unless the fabric is totally disgusting or completely ripped up, leave it on. It provides some cushioning for the vinyl so it won't get worn as easily on the edges and sometimes what's under the fabric is best left alone. In my experience, if you decide you need to remove the fabric, you'll probably also need new padding. (12/23/2005)

By crystal

Dining Chair
Repairing Dining Chair Seats
Bean Bag Chair
Making a Bean Bag Chair
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Dining Chairs
Reupholstering Dining Chairs