Finding the Value of Murphy Chairs

Category Art
The Murphy furniture company manufactured cedar chests, chairs, and wardrobes from the mid 1940s through the early 2000s. These collectible pieces can still be found today. This is a page about finding the value of Murphy chairs.

I have a straight back Murphy chair, model 306. The back has a harp shape design.

Answers

Best Answer

If your chair is an original release, I believe it to be from the 1920s, so coming up soon it will be 100 and "an antique". I am not rememmbering if they released this style at later times or not. I will see if I can find my info on that piece of the puzzle

It looks to be in nice shape, most likely recovered as the material does not look old or period for the piece.

Do you just have one?

Selling one is sometimes a challenge as people are looking for a full set, but you could find someone looking for a replacement chair or an extra.

They average around the US $100 in sold prices, but it depends on where you are. Where I am they fetch less because there are a lot of them (high supply, low demand lowers the price). Where you are there could be very few and you could fetch a little more.

If it was mine, I would take it to a good antique dealer so they could sell it for you and value it for your town.

This way people can sit on it and know exactly what they are getting.

Thanks for sharing!!

Best Answer

If you are trying to sell this at a yard or estate sale then start at $75 and hope someone comes along looking for an odd vintage chair. If you advertise then you might can get more if you list it with pictures. You'll soon know if your area is a hot spot for this type of furniture as people will be asking questions; if someone wonders if its "made of gold" then you may have to reduce the price.

A single chair in this style is more difficult to place a value and more difficult to sell. If you do research you will notice that dining style chairs are usually always in pairs or more.
Office style and rocking chairs can be sold as singles and usually sell for more money.
I would say to place a watch on this chair and see if it sells (usually this sellers marks his items down to 1/2 off after they have been listed for a while and did not sell.

www.ebay.com/.../123543632030

eBay sold listings is a good place to look for like or similar items that have sold over the past several months to see if anyone is buying and see what is selling.
You can check it often and this information may help you decide the value of your chair.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy+chair...

How much is a Murphy 360 chair worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Murphy chair company has been around since 1872 but is not to be confused with the Murphy Furniture Company that manufactured mostly tables.

• Murphy Chair Co. manufactured over 100 styles of chairs and each style would have different values in today's market.
  • I assume you may be referring to a swivel chair since you say "360" but that is a guess. This style of chair usually sells for less money than one of their other styles.
  • The "normal" selling prices for an office swivel chair runs between $25 - $75 but they are very slow in selling. Shipping costs with any style chair runs very high so it is generally best to try and sell locally so no shipping cost is involved.
  • Here are some different styles of Murphy chairs currently listed on eBay (with their "asking" prices).
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy+chair...
  • Several different styles have sold in recent months so you can see what someone might actually pay for a Murphy chair.

eBay sold items.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy%20chair...
  • You can get a free appraise at this site:
  • www.instappraisal.com/

Here is a current link to Murphy Chair Co. history and links to ask questions.

murphychaircompany.com/

I found a Murphy straight back chair without arms that I will be refinishing. I will not be selling it, but am curious about its age. The code on the bottom is 294. It was manufactured, according to the template, in Owensboro, KY.

Answers

Best Answer

I have not found anything pertaining to #294 but I do have some general information on Murphy chairs.

You can click on some of the photos that look like your chair and there MAY be some information pertaining to that chair - this will be a "trial and error" search.

example/photos of Murphy chairs:

www.google.com/search?q=antique+murphy+chair&tbm...

www.google.com/search?q=murphy+chair+company&biw...

General information about company:

www.justcollecting.com/.../murphy-chair-company-furniture

I have used these sites before but it takes time to figure out how to ask questions and upload photos but their answers seem to be correct.

Web sites that offer free appraisals:

www.allexperts.com/.../

www.instappraisal.com/.../antique-murphy-chair

Example of appraisal

en.allexperts.com/.../Murphy-Chair-Company-Detroit.htm

What is the value of an antique Murphy's swivel office chair in fair condition? The serial number is 287.

By John F.

Answers

Best Answer

When checking prices on ebay, always check the sold items. Even then, there could be a large difference in sold prices as it depends on how many people want to bid on the item. Remember, anyone can put any price on an item but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

I have a nice pink upholstered arm chair, that is like new, from an estate. There is a minor scratch on a rear lower portion of one back leg only. How can I find the approximate value?

Answers

I have never used this website, but you could go to www.instappraisal.com/ and get a free appraisal.

I'm not sure the original Murphy Company made this style chair but curiously there are some chairs (and other items) showing up for sale that are new items but I believe it is another company that is using the name.
There is very little actual information about the furniture but quite a bit about the company and its owners.
Here are a couple of links that have a lot of information (but no hint of values) but a lot about the company (long articles). Both sites offer appraisals but probably do charge no matter what they say.

www.instappraisal.com/.../murphy-chair-company-owensboro-ky

www.justanswer.com/.../5mrrb-just-purchased-chairs-paper...

i am sorry but I meant to give you a link to one of the "new" items that are being sold as Murphy Company items. Not sure if this is similar to yours but take a look.

www.birchlane.com/Murphy-Arm-Chair-BL10006.html

Thanks Judy...appreciate it! Chair is definately a +or - 1940's vintage. Wish I'd added a photo

Thanks cybergrannie!

I want to know the value of a Murphy chair #2231. It has a secret draw under the seat and is in excellent condition.

Answers

It is definitely over $100. I would also consult a dealer for a processional opinion.

This is very cool! It has me intrigued.

I have seen two kinds of chairs with secret drawers like this and this one does not seem to meet either standard:

One is a sewing chair (which this could be--the backs are usually shorter than a dining chair and the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell if it is or not).

The other is a nursing rocker, which this isn't since it appears to have straight legs, not rockers.

Is it marked The Murphy Chair Company or is it marked Murphy as in a store named Murphy?

If it is The Murphy Chair Company, perhaps you can call them--they still exist--and see if they can help you date it and give you more information on what it is. Their number is (313) 335-1690.

Many Murphy Chair Company chairs still have value--their vintage rockers and bank chairs can still command several hundred dollars in some markets.

This chair is unique enough, that I recommend you get as much information as you can so you can figure out a value.

I could give you generals, but since this is something unique, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

You could take it to a reputable vintage/antique dealer and have them look at it and give you their opinion of what it is and the value for your town.

It is important to know that all furniture values are regional and are based on supply and demand. This means it could be valued as something that would sell in your town for several hundred dollars, but in my town, if there is a glut of them on the market, it could be valued in the low teens. Yes, the market is that varied!

Post back what you learn!! Looking forward to learning more.

I wonder the value of 5 chairs I got from my mother years ago. On the bottom of the chair on the side it says Murphy Owensboro KY 370. As far as I can tell they were never refurbished, all original. They do not have claw feet and the top of the back rest is straight across.

Thank you for any information I get collect on them!

Answers

I would send a picture to the company. They can help you. murphychaircompany.com/

I don't see any photos so it is hard to determine what you have based just on the description.

If your chairs match any of these sold chairs, that would be today's current market value:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

If they match unsold versions, you can gauge that the asking prices were too high and you can watch to see if they were relisted and what they eventually sold for or if they sold.

Some of these chairs have held their value, some not. Condition is key to the higher values.

Post back if you sell and what the buyer paid so others have an idea of the current market value in your area. Thanks!

it all depends on the market and demand of course but chairs such as this can fetch at least $250 in the proper antiques context, perfect condition, etc.

I have a vintage (I think) Murphy oak chair with 5 slats in the back.

Answers

The chairs may be worth $25 each.

Usually Murphy furniture is described as "mid-century" because no one is sure about when any particular pieces was made.

• Your chair is fairly common and it seems the value is whatever anyone feels it should be worth.
  • As examples:
  • www.ebay.com/.../232751143435?hash=item36310c9a0b...
  • www.ebay.com/.../232745149217?hash=item3630b12321...
  • www.ebay.com/.../253577225437?hash=item3b0a6164dd...
  • eBay and Etsy are the sites to check for what any of these chairs are listed for (none shown as sold over the past six months) but when or if these will ever sell at any price is anyone's guess.
  • Many items remain listed for months and months (even years) and may or may not sell.
  • True value? Probably $20-$45 if in very good condition but you still have to find someone that wants a chair like this at any price.
  • Sellers usually mark shipping as "pick up only" as they will not ship these items so listing on your local Craigslist may be a better choice.

I am looking for information on a chair marked - (Murphy 892) Unincorporated Owensboro, KY.

I am trying to find any information on a Murphy 450 wooden chair I can't see all of the logo. I didn't know it was there until I started stripping it.

Answers

This one is asking $245, but it is in better shape. www.ebay.com/.../292993706328?hash=item4437c92958...

What is the value of a Murphy #263 swiveling desk chair?

Answers

According to this website, the value is $75.
www.instappraisal.com/.../murphy-oak-swivel-rocker-office-chair

Do I have a Murphy chair? It is a mid-century modern traditional lounge arm chair. My chair has open arms with only one upper arm brace. The lower leg brace has curved or bowed outside leg brace and straight lower back brace. It also has a metal Murphy Chair Co. tag. Could this be an authentic Murphy chair and if so, approximate value?
I do not have photo capability with my computer.

By Pat

Answers

if your chair is marked murphy, there is no reason to think it's not a murphy. there would be little reason for someone to put a false marking on such a piece.

I've got two matching wooden chairs with seal and patent stamp. ?? #3091 or #5091 possibly.

By Jim K. from Appleton, WI

Vintage furniture may have notable value. Finding out this information is useful for restoration plans or future sale. Finding the value of a Murphy rocking chair.

Antique Rocking Chair

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2
Consumer Advice Collectibles ArtJanuary 16, 2017
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-13 12:59:29 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️