Finding the Value of Murphy Chairs

I have an old Murphy chair 4415. Just wanted to know some info and maybe even some pricing, thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I do not have any information on age as Murphy Chair made almost the same style chairs from 1930 - 1960's.
As to value; it has been difficult to find very much on sold Murphy chairs like yours and listing for sale prices are just a price the seller would like to receive for their items - only a sold item shows what someone was willing to pay for that item.
You can always check eBay's sold listings to see what people are paying for similar chairs but it's difficult because it appears that similar chairs in other higher end brands (and even unbranded) chairs are selling for more money than any style Murphy chair.
www.ebay.com/.../bn_73393201?rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

I found a few very similar chairs that have either sold or not sold at auctions. You can look at these to maybe get some idea of value.
instappraisal.com/.../murphy-oak-swivel-rocker-office-chair
Straight back swivel chair: $70 - 2017
www.ebth.com/.../5395861-vintage-oak-murphy-office...
Similar chair: $70 - 2017
www.ebth.com/.../7179577-vintage-desk-chair-by-murphy...
Similar: $100 - 2013
www.liveauctioneers.com/.../15949887_american-oak-swivel-office...

Furniture values have not changed very much over the past 8-10 years so value is probably going to be about the same as these sold prices.
I would say to list your chair maybe starting at $150-$250 with best offer considered and pick up only and see how it goes. If no offers after several weeks/months then lower the price and wait again.
As a general rule, furniture sales are slow but sales are really unpredictable.

You may find more information these links:
www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Murphy-Rocking...
www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Murphy-Chairs...

Answer this Question

19 More Questions

What is the value of this chair? It is a Murphy #4412.

Answers

Best Answer

A pair of your chairs just sold (well, 2018--but furniture values remain pretty much the same) for $336.00

picclick.com/Vintage-Murphy-Inc-Owensboro-KY-Pecan...

It looks like yours may have been stripped and redone--or maybe it is just the photo or the wear that makes it look very grainy.

If it is refinished, that will devalue.

Great piece! Post back how your sale goes!

Answer this Question

I recently purchased this chair from Facebook Marketplace for $60. I was wondering if it may be an antique Murphy chair. It has the unique designs that look identical to a Murphy chair. No labels or stamps on it though to tell what company made it.

Sorry about the poor image. It has a beautiful design on the upper back and wicker seat. I am just wondering if I got a treasure and didn't realize it!

Answers

Best Answer

Murphy furniture company marks all their chairs on the bottom of the seat of the chair. Even if it has a wicker seat you should be able to find some sort of marking on the chair around the wicker. If you are not finding any thing at all, more than likely this is a copy of the same style chair that Murphy makes. You can try to speak to a furniture resale shop in your area, a person who restores furniture or even a vintage antique shop to see if they can help out a bit more on this piece. I am not sure how much furniture sells for in your area but online that is normally a good price for this chair.

Answer this Question

I have two Murphy 206 chairs. I would like to know the value of these chairs.

Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately your photo is very dark and the fine details are not visible.

Do you know if the chair is pecan or mahogany?

I an give you some general info. For specifics, I suggest you taking it to a local antique/vintage shop and find out the value for your area as furniture values are one of the most regional in the marketplace.

Generally I have seen Murphy chairs sell if they are in good shape and are in pairs. The ranges for side chairs like these can go from $10 to $200 each.

The two big things that cause such a huge range are below:

1. Furniture sales are supply and demand based and if you are in a high supply, low demand area, the prices are very low. Low supply, high demand, the values are higher.

2. Condition is also critical and since I can't see anything to indicate the condition, just be aware that things that affect values are:

--Smells
--Marks/dings in the wood
--Being reglued or repaired in any way
--Not having original hardware
--Any sign of it being off balance or bouncy

These are things no one can get from a photo so that is why it is best to seek a reputable reseller in your town to help you.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!!

Answer this Question

I have a straight back Murphy chair, model 306. The back has a harp shape design.

Answers

Best Answer

If your chair is an original release, I believe it to be from the 1920s, so coming up soon it will be 100 and "an antique". I am not rememmbering if they released this style at later times or not. I will see if I can find my info on that piece of the puzzle

It looks to be in nice shape, most likely recovered as the material does not look old or period for the piece.

Do you just have one?

Selling one is sometimes a challenge as people are looking for a full set, but you could find someone looking for a replacement chair or an extra.

They average around the US $100 in sold prices, but it depends on where you are. Where I am they fetch less because there are a lot of them (high supply, low demand lowers the price). Where you are there could be very few and you could fetch a little more.

If it was mine, I would take it to a good antique dealer so they could sell it for you and value it for your town.

This way people can sit on it and know exactly what they are getting.

Thanks for sharing!!

Best Answer

If you are trying to sell this at a yard or estate sale then start at $75 and hope someone comes along looking for an odd vintage chair. If you advertise then you might can get more if you list it with pictures. You'll soon know if your area is a hot spot for this type of furniture as people will be asking questions; if someone wonders if its "made of gold" then you may have to reduce the price.

A single chair in this style is more difficult to place a value and more difficult to sell. If you do research you will notice that dining style chairs are usually always in pairs or more.
Office style and rocking chairs can be sold as singles and usually sell for more money.
I would say to place a watch on this chair and see if it sells (usually this sellers marks his items down to 1/2 off after they have been listed for a while and did not sell.

www.ebay.com/.../123543632030

eBay sold listings is a good place to look for like or similar items that have sold over the past several months to see if anyone is buying and see what is selling.
You can check it often and this information may help you decide the value of your chair.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy+chair...

Answer this Question

I have a Murphy desk chair. It is from Owensboro, Kentucky. What do you think it is worth and the age?

Answers

Best Answer

This is a very unusual chair. Your pictures are good but you do not show a clear picture of the bottom of the chair and no picture of the brand name/markings.
I only mention this as most likely you will have to ask for an appraisal to find any information about your chair.

You can ask several of these appraisers and hopefully they will provide you some useful information for free. Some will not provide a free appraisal if the item is not valued over $500 but you can still ask.
They will need all the pictures as well as any information you have about its 'before life'. Also - your location.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

This is an excellent site but they charge $20 - a very small fee for the information they usually supple.

www.valuemystuff.com/.../how-it-works

Information about the Murphy Chair Co.

www.justcollecting.com/.../murphy-chair-company-furniture

ThriftyFun also has other answers:

Best Answer

This is a fine example of a midcentury Murphy chair that in the right condition can bring in upwards of $300

Answer this Question

How much is a Murphy 360 chair worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Murphy chair company has been around since 1872 but is not to be confused with the Murphy Furniture Company that manufactured mostly tables.

• Murphy Chair Co. manufactured over 100 styles of chairs and each style would have different values in today's market.
  • I assume you may be referring to a swivel chair since you say "360" but that is a guess. This style of chair usually sells for less money than one of their other styles.
  • The "normal" selling prices for an office swivel chair runs between $25 - $75 but they are very slow in selling. Shipping costs with any style chair runs very high so it is generally best to try and sell locally so no shipping cost is involved.
  • Here are some different styles of Murphy chairs currently listed on eBay (with their "asking" prices).
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy+chair...
  • Several different styles have sold in recent months so you can see what someone might actually pay for a Murphy chair. eBay sold items.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murphy%20chair...
  • You can get a free appraise at this site:
  • www.instappraisal.com/

Here is a current link to Murphy Chair Co. history and links to ask questions.

murphychaircompany.com/

Answer this Question

I am just wondering about this chair that I have owned for 5 plus years.

Answer this Question

I found a Murphy straight back chair without arms that I will be refinishing. I will not be selling it, but am curious about its age.

The code on the bottom is 294. It was manufactured, according to the template, in Owensboro, KY.

Answers

Best Answer

I have not found anything pertaining to #294 but I do have some general information on Murphy chairs.

You can click on some of the photos that look like your chair and there MAY be some information pertaining to that chair - this will be a "trial and error" search.

example/photos of Murphy chairs:

www.google.com/search?q=antique+murphy+chair&tbm...

www.google.com/search?q=murphy+chair+company&biw...

General information about company:

I have used these sites before but it takes time to figure out how to ask questions and upload photos but their answers seem to be correct.

Web sites that offer free appraisals:

www.allexperts.com/.../

www.instappraisal.com/.../antique-murphy-chair

Example of appraisal

en.allexperts.com/.../Murphy-Chair-Company-Detroit.htm

Answer this Question

What is the value of an antique Murphy's swivel office chair in fair condition? The serial number is 287.

By John F.

Answers

Best Answer

When checking prices on ebay, always check the sold items. Even then, there could be a large difference in sold prices as it depends on how many people want to bid on the item. Remember, anyone can put any price on an item but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Answer this Question

I am looking for information on a chair marked - (Murphy 892) Unincorporated Owensboro, KY.

Answers

Best Answer

I am not finding this exact chair listed for sale on the few sites I have checked so far. However, I did find a good site that should give you a free appraisal on the chair and tell you the history of the chair. You can check with them to see what the value of this chair is worth. instappraisal.com/.../antique-murphy-chair-company-chair

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles FurnitureJanuary 16, 2017
👒
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Murphy-Chairs.html