Finding the Value of a Murphy Cedar Chest

Category Antiques
Antique and vintage furniture has not only sentimental value, but sometimes monetary value as well. This is a guide about finding the value of a Murphy cedar chest.

It is in very good condition. I am hoping to find out what it is worth.

Answers

Best Answer

All cedar chests have a serial number that doubles as the manufacturing date. If you see a number such as 04140 inside the chest this would mean it was manufactured on April 1, 1940. This will help you to determine how old the chest is and give you a better idea as to the value of your chest. Furthermore, the condition and style of the chest play an important factor in determining the actual price of your chest. In order to give you a good price it is best to look at a photo of your chest. Otherwise, I can give you a good guess from what others are selling theirs for online. From what I can find you should be able to ask $120 to $200 for this depending on the condition of the chest.

I have acquired this beautiful chest and would like to know more about it. Any help is appreciated. I do not have the key, but was able to get it open and would also like to know if I can still get a key for it.

Answers

Best Answer

My three cents worth...suggestions...

There are places online that specialize in antique keys for all sorts of chests, cabinets, etc. Google the name of the chest + keys and you will find a bunch of options. If one is local to you...that is the best choice.

Also if you have a reputable antique dealer you know/trust...she/he may have sources as I know they run into this situation all the time.

My late father used to make his own keys for old banks and such...if you are at all handy, there are YouTube videos on how to make your own keys. You can find them by Googling How to make a key blank for an antique / vintage lock

Enjoy the piece! It is very cool that you will donate it someday to help the furry kids of the world! That is awesome!!!

My Murphy cedar chest is marked 4017. Is it an antique? How much could I sell it for?

Answers

Best Answer

It all varies on what platform you sell on and potential interested buyers.

I bought this Cedar Chest for $25.00. On the back it says Murphy #23 in black letters and numbers. It also has wood handles. Can anyone tell me anything about it. Murphy has gone out of business. I would like some History on the Cedar Chest. By the way it has wooden caster on underside. Size is 54" long, 21" wide, and 19" deep.

Answers

I have done research on some of my old furniture on the net - Google the name - you get pieces of information that you can put together to get some sort of picture of the item - works for a lot of stuff....

Could this be a case for a 'Murphy' bed?
54" is full size. Bed was stored out of sight until needed.

Hi My name is Lawson Murphy. My family manufactured cedar chests from 1946-2004. We shut down manufactering due to Chinese competition. The cedar chest that you have last sold wholesale around $180.

You get a bargain at $25. We manufactured over a million pieces during the lifetime of Murphy Manufacturing. The style you have was the largest cedar chest we made. It could have been bought at Farmers Furniture in the South Georgia area.

I have a Murphy cedar chest with the number 20 on the back. It is 48 inches long 20 inches wide and 19 1/2 inches deep. I received this from my father in law as a gift in June 1969. It was given to me as a hope chest. My then boyfriend and now ex husband was in Viet Nam. I still have this chest.

I have a table marked murphy 6006 from owensboro, ky. Any infomon that

I have a Murphy Cedar Chest model 23. I would like to know when and where these pieces were manufactured. I recently saw a cedar chest with the model number 23L on it. Please tell me more about this model.

John Miller

Hi Mr. Murphy I have a Cedar chest with number 4150 on the back.
Could you tell me anything about the model? I would also like to know any information you could give me on the history of Murphy manufacturing CO. where it was located, when it closed and where I might find documents, advertising etc.

Thank you: Chris G.
eBay ID SGMD4555

I bought a Murphy solid cedar chest for $30 on the back it has the numbers 138967 and 54 Murphy.can some one please tell me how much it's worth?

Hi I was wondering where I might find a key for my Murphy 19? My mom passed away and the chest I remember having my grandmother clothes and things in it but I can't seem to find what my mom did with it!

I don't want to have to knock the lock out and mess it up

I am looking for the value and age of a Murphy cedar chest with 2 hearts on it. I am helping a friend.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

These were made in the mid 20th century. If the condition is good it is worth in the $100 range.

I've looked online and can't find any information on my Murphy cedar chest. It has the numbers 975691 and Murphy 7298 on the back. Any information is appreciated.

I have a Murphy cedar chest that has the number 6042 on the back. It has two hearts carved into the front of the chest. I am wondering if you can tell me what the value is. Thank you for your time.

Answers

I don't see your model number for sale on eBay or other sites. However, I did see a check on eBay #4017 that they were asking $450.00 for this.
I also found a good response on this site. There is a discussion about Murphy cedar chest. Lawson Murphy said he was the son of the Mruphy family who manufactured these chests. You can read about this on the site:
https://www.thr  4273541.tip.html

I just saw this on eBay for $450. It doesn't have the carved hearts, but is similar. This is the asking price. http://m.ebay.c  ST-/141427558853

Actually, Murphy cedar chests were never really expensive as they were usually very plain and were most often bought for a young girl as her "hope chest" to store gifts for a future wedding day. They were well made and cedar was their saving point. They were big sellers due to those five things - affordable, well made, easily available (almost every furniture store sold these), cedar was a well known wood, and a hope chest was a big fad for many years.

Since they produced so many different styles it may be difficult to actually locate your model but Murphy chests generally sell for $65 - 200 dollars - a lot depends on the condition. They will sell quicker if listed in your area so the potential buyer can see the chest in person.

Lane cedar chests are usually the most popular chest as they were always considered the elite on the market while the Murphy was for the working man. That fact does not always mean an item is less valuable but since Lane chests are readily available and many times at a very reasonable price, it does lower the value of a Murphy chest.
Your chest has more detail than many so it may bring more money. If you decide to sell it, I would suggest Craigslist in your area and if it is in really good condition, I would start the price at $250 and believe it or not, Christmas is the best time to sell something like this.

I'm seeing a huge range in prices but they are selling points, not shown as sold. They're ranging from $100-$400 so maybe start in the middle.

I have a tapestry covered lid Murphy cedar chest with the number 7273 on it. It has a wooden engraved wheat design on the front and two handles. What is it worth? I bought in the 1980s.

I have a very pretty Murphy cedar chest model # 4032 how much is it worth?

I have a Murphy cedar chest number 18 with the original price tag hanging in the chest that says $34. I am just wondering what the value of the chest is since I have received it from my grandmother and she said she bought it a very long time ago.

Answers

Go to ebay or worthpoint.com. The fact that it has the price tag will probably increase the value.

It does not appear that very many Murphy cedar chests are available but there are so many other good brands available that this may/probably reduces the value of your chest.

It will not be easy to find your exact chest number for sale or sold recently but maybe just seeing what older models are listing for will help.

Here is a #20 now listed on eBay (1-12-2017):

http://www.ebay  est&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay  8Q0AAOSwx2dYEUah

Recently listed on eBay (no number shown):

http://www.ebay  d=p2047675.l2557

Here is a link that #18 sold for in 2015:

https://www.ebt  rphy-cedar-chest

Large items are difficult to sell so most are offered locally on sites such as Craigslist, For Sale, and also on eBay but listed as local pick up only. Try looking at some of your local auction sites or even call a local auction dealer and ask about the current market price.

I have 54 Murphy cedar chest in excellent condition with key. Does anybody know the value?

What is a Murphy 16 cedar chest worth?

By Pris

I have a cedar chest from 1969 that was damaged by Mayflower Movers during a recent move. I am making a claim and trying to determine current value of my chest.

By Belinda from AZ

Answers

For comparison I checked Etsy and found a red cedar chest for $199.00 -age not given. A chest from the mid 1900's is not very old so probable low value overall, not considering physical condition.

I am wanting to sell this. I live in KCMO and not sure how much I should ask for it?

By Jen C

I am trying to find out when the Murphy #19 cedar chest was made.

By LFW

I have a Murphy cedar chest. It says Murphy 4017 on the back. Is there anywhere I can look up models to find out more information on what it's worth and what exact year it was made. Although I believe mine was made between 1985-1989, because I was a small child when it was purchased for me. I was there when it was picked out and purchased for me. It's at least 25 years old. Any info on this particular model?

By Abbi B.

I have a Murphy Cedar chest with I 9 on the back. It is in good shape. What would it be worth?

By Ron from Anderson, IN

I have an old chest. Can anyone tell me how old this chest is or what the significance of Murphy 27 means?

By Tricie L.

I have a Murphy cedar chest that says Murphy 18 on the back. It was in pieces when I found it beside the road. My grandfather was a master carpenter so he was able to put it back together and it looks like it just came off of the show room floor now. My question is how can I tell how old it is?

By Christine