Value of Murphy Cedar Chest?

I have a Murphy cedar chest that has the number 6042 on the back. It has two hearts carved into the front of the chest. I am wondering if you can tell me what the value is. Thank you for your time.

I don't see your model number for sale on eBay or other sites. However, I did see a check on eBay #4017 that they were asking $450.00 for this.
I also found a good response on this site. There is a discussion about Murphy cedar chest. Lawson Murphy said he was the son of the Mruphy family who manufactured these chests. You can read about this on the site:
www.thriftyfun.com/tf14273541.tip.html

do you have this chest? would you sell it?

I just saw this on eBay for $450. It doesn't have the carved hearts, but is similar. This is the asking price. m.ebay.com/.../141427558853

Actually, Murphy cedar chests were never really expensive as they were usually very plain and were most often bought for a young girl as her "hope chest" to store gifts for a future wedding day. They were well made and cedar was their saving point. They were big sellers due to those five things - affordable, well made, easily available (almost every furniture store sold these), cedar was a well known wood, and a hope chest was a big fad for many years.

Since they produced so many different styles it may be difficult to actually locate your model but Murphy chests generally sell for $65 - 200 dollars - a lot depends on the condition. They will sell quicker if listed in your area so the potential buyer can see the chest in person.

Lane cedar chests are usually the most popular chest as they were always considered the elite on the market while the Murphy was for the working man. That fact does not always mean an item is less valuable but since Lane chests are readily available and many times at a very reasonable price, it does lower the value of a Murphy chest.
Your chest has more detail than many so it may bring more money. If you decide to sell it, I would suggest Craigslist in your area and if it is in really good condition, I would start the price at $250 and believe it or not, Christmas is the best time to sell something like this.

I'm seeing a huge range in prices but they are selling points, not shown as sold. They're ranging from $100-$400 so maybe start in the middle.

Anonymous

I have this exact Murphy 6042 Hope Chest with heart. We lost the key in a tornado. We are wondering how to get a replacement key.

Consumer Advice CollectiblesAugust 23, 2017
👔
👒
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-Murphy-Cedar-Chest-2.html