Value of a Lane Cedar Chest?

As with many types of mass produced furniture, cedar chests can range in value rather widely. You may need to do a routine search on the internet for your piece in order to determine an appropriate value. Sites such as eBay can be helpful. This is a page about finding the value of a Lane cedar chest.

45 Questions

I have a Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother. Two numbers are marked #481073 (I think) and the serial number is #735260. The outside condition would be considered poor, but the inside is in very good condition and still smells very good.

What is the item valued at?

Answers

Best Answer

Yours would be at the low end. They range from $99 to $700, with the majority between $200-$400.

Best Answer

You have (to me) an unusual lane piece. I don't think I have seen one with the lovely legs like yours has!

There is NOT an exact match to yours on eBay either in current or sold so I can't give you a value today. The market changes daily, so may find an EXACT match tomorrow or next week.

Exact matches are critical to valuing items because some Lane's have almost no value, and some have held their value. If you compare yours to a one that is not identical, you could end up miss-valuing your piece and getting too little or having it sit for sale for months with no lookers.

I recommend checking eBay or Google for the furniture auction houses to find examples of SOLD ones to get your exact value.

When have sold these pieces I have never used the numbers...most people want to know wood, size, and type (like blanket or trunk) and leg style. It looks like yours are spool legs or maybe sheraton, but it is an odd angle, so I am not 100% positive.

You can use this link to match the leg styles:

www.google.com/search?q=leg+styles+for+furniture...:

You may want to contact Lane if you have a lock on yours to talk to them about the issue with product safety of their locks--you can read this link and see if your trunk is affected:

www.lanefurniture.com/.../product-safety.html

If you are looking for a quick sale for your piece...most of the plain chests sell for an average of 300-400 dollars.

Unusual chests (those with legs fetch a little more, between the 400-500 dollar range. These are retail prices--meaning seller to buyer online....

If you try to sell on Facebook, Next Door etc. you can start at these values, but you will need to drop them to sell. Been there, done that.

You an also take good photos to an antique dealer and see what he/she will give you...that is easier than trying to sell it online (in any fashion).

Good luck! It is a truly lovely piece! I wish I had room for it!

Best Answer

Well - looking at the condition of the outside of your chest I would tend to think it would only be of interest to someone that wanted (or desperately needed) a storage place for blankets/quilts.

• It is for sure your chest would have to be bought by someone who intended to refinished it (and the veneer is a wreck on the bottom piece) or planned to keep it covered (hidden from view) or had a basement where it could be used.
  • Don't get me wrong - there are people out there looking for pieces to refinish but they generally want a real bargain and no shipping costs. That generally means it would have to be listed in your area to sell.
  • This is what I have found about dating a Lane cedar chest but your numbers do not correspond to this explanation but it is possible your chest is older and the numbering system was changed. Does your chest actually have Lane markings or does this happen to be what your mother remembers? Could it be another brand? I'm not sure this is the only way to date the chest so I'm just asking.
  • "All Lane cedar chests have a serial number. It doubles as the manufacturing date the chest was made when you read the number from right to left or backward. This means a chest generally has a five- or six-digit number that tells the month, day and two-digit year it was built. A chest built on April 1, 1940, would read from left to right 04140. Chests manufactured on two-digit days and in two-digit months generally have at least six digits. If the serial number has seven digits, the first number in the series is the plant number."
  • www.hunker.com/.../determining-the-value-of-a-lane-cedar...
  • It looks like your chest may be from the 1929-1930 circa - at least it looks like one in this ad.
  • www.ebay.com/.../362438616803?hash=item54630666e3...
  • Here is one listing that claims chest to be from the 1920's (not sure about that) and you can see a similar leg style so I do believe these were the styles from that era. I do know that styles changed in the 1930's and started leaning toward the "art deco" styles.
  • Then you run across a totally weird listing like this that does not make any sense except that the seller wants someone to haul the chest away. This is a pick up only listing. They say the same thing as you "good condition inside".
  • www.ebay.com/.../283014558251?hash=item41e4fb722b...
  • I believe you can check eBay or other sites for Lane listings and most chests will be in good to excellent condition. It will be rare to find one in the condition as yours and that is what some value is based on. Other things that effect value is the year made and area located.
  • Based on all of this, I think you should ask for an appraisal so that you will know for sure what the condition might mean to value. This could also tell you the age.
  • Here is a link that has some free appraisal sites so why not spend a little time and get the information you need. You will need more pictures (lighter ones) that show detail of condition and style of legs as well as pictures of any and all marks/numbers anywhere in the chest. Appraisals give you a value for insurance but that is a starting point.
  • www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html
Answer this Question

I am trying to find out how much my Lane cedar chest is worth. Style no. 4304-77. Serial no. 2275121.

Answers

Best Answer

Some one is asking 150.00 + shipping on eBay for your exact chest in similar condition. The lock was removed per the recall and eBay requirements.

It has been for sale for a while. Perhaps watch it and that will give you current market value! I hope the get that much.

Where I am these are almost impossible to sell because the supply is so high and there is a low demand which drove prices down.

Post back how your sale goes!

Best Answer

It looks like the top is not original for some reason and the rest of the chest is damaged or has many scratches on it. A chest like yours in excellent conditon normally sells for $250. The condition your chest is in right now it is possible you may get around $75 to $125 for it.

Best Answer

Just wanted to update this information.
The Lane chest that was similar to yours (similar as the squares do not match yours and size may be different as well as condition) that was listed on eBay for $150 plus shipping appears to have been sold. (I say appears as sometimes people bid and change their minds and do not make payment and the seller has to relist for sale again.)

www.ebay.com/.../283511117123?nma=true&si=OhUn%252FFm2hZOvxxe0L3pbBS8DJlU...

Answer this Question

This Lane cedar chest has been in my husband's family since it was purchased in 1946. Now that it's been passed to him, we're trying to learn more about it (value, etc). Lane Cedar Chest, Style 2064, Serial 644160

While it's easy to see the "style" number, we've been unable to learn ANYTHING about what the style is (Art Deco, etc), and have yet to run across any with the "carving" around the lid lip like this one. We love the chest, just REALLY curious about any info you might be able to supply.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide.

Answer this Question

This has been in my family for a long time and belonged to my great-great aunt. I haven't been able to find much information on the style or value. Any insight is appreciated.

Answer this Question

I have a Lane cedar chest style# 4569-70, serial# 2085180. I would like to know its value and age. I can't find the same design anywhere.

Answers

Best Answer

Depending on condition, these range from $125 to over $400.

Best Answer

FYI: Long answer, haha. Ive found some good info though.

Its easier to sell by knowing the age and additional info. The serial number doubles as the month, day and year it was made when reading backwards from right to left. When there are 7 numbers like the one you have, the first number refers to the plant. So it looks like yours was built on 08-15-80.

Unfortunately, chests built after the 70s have many replicants and arent as coveted as say the ones built in the 20s and 30s. But I still think there is a good chance of you making a little money off of it. As stated in a comment above, the value will also depend on the safety lock. As a result of many terrible incidents that occurred from it locking on its own and not being able to open without a key or latch. Although, I have found that the company states that there are around 6 million of the 12 million manufactured that do not have the safety lock detail at all. I cant see your pic well enough to see if yours has it or not.

So far Ive seen chests ranging from $50 all the way to $700. So, it definitely depends on condition, year, area youre selling it in, etc.

Ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find this same chest either. I have found you a contact number that may help you determine the value easier. They seem to be located in Virginia. Below is their contact number.

1-877-251-5010

Hope this helps you and let us know what you find out!!

Answer this Question

Curious about this '43 hope chest.

Answer this Question

Not really concerned with value because of the condition. Just trying to identity this chest we picked up. Would love to restore it but need photos to do so. Any idea what the manufacture date or year is? Thanks for any information!

Answer this Question

How much is this worth and where is best place to sell this Lane love chest?

Answers

Best Answer

Sadly, in most cities in the US, lane chests have dropped in value to in the low teens. There are a few that still have value, like the 30s art deco waterfall chests, but most have little to know resale value. So sad. They were staples of so many young brides futures!!

Yours appears to be from the late 1970s. Queen Anne legs. There was one on eBay where the seller was asking $140, local pickup in Grass City, CA. If it sold at that price, that would be the market value in that town.

My friend had one in Pittsburgh and she literally could not give it away because we have so many for sale and such a low demand. I hope you are in a city with high demand and low supply! Maybe you could get the $140.

Best place to sell is through a vintage resale shop. Or if you already sell at a flea market there. If you try it on eBay, it would have to be local pickup, unless you want to pay freight shipping.

Post back how your sale goes. PS. The lock is going to need to be replaced because of the recall. If I can find the information on who to contact, I can post it if you need it.

Answer this Question

How much is this Lane mini chest worth? I can't find anything like this one online.

Answers

Best Answer

This one on Etsy is very similar to yours. It is painted white and they are asking $300. www.pinterest.com/.../

Best Answer

This looks like an exact match to yours that sold in May 2019 for $35.

www.loveseat.com/.../

That to me is a little low, but the market for these type pieces is very soft right now as "brown" furniture has generally fallen out of favor with the younger buyers and the older buyers are trying to downsize and sell their pieces.

It is very lovely!! I hope where you are there is a high demand and you can fetch a little more for it!

Post back with an update. Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

I would like to know the value of this cedar chest and if it's considered an antique. It was given to my mom years ago when she became engaged.

So I am thinking it was made years ago. She got married in 1953. So it had to be made well before that I am thinking.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMarch 21, 2019
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Lane-Cedar-Chest-2.html