Value of a Lane Cedar Chest?

As with many types of mass produced furniture, cedar chests can range in value rather widely. You may need to do a routine search on the internet for your piece in order to determine an appropriate value. Sites such as eBay can be helpful. This is a page about finding the value of a Lane cedar chest.

I have a Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother. Two numbers are marked #481073 (I think) and the serial number is #735260. The outside condition would be considered poor, but the inside is in very good condition and still smells very good. What is the item valued at?

Answers

Best Answer

Yours would be at the low end. They range from $99 to $700, with the majority between $200-$400.

Best Answer

You have (to me) an unusual lane piece. I don't think I have seen one with the lovely legs like yours has!

There is NOT an exact match to yours on eBay either in current or sold so I can't give you a value today. The market changes daily, so may find an EXACT match tomorrow or next week.

Exact matches are critical to valuing items because some Lane's have almost no value, and some have held their value. If you compare yours to a one that is not identical, you could end up miss-valuing your piece and getting too little or having it sit for sale for months with no lookers.

I recommend checking eBay or Google for the furniture auction houses to find examples of SOLD ones to get your exact value.

When have sold these pieces I have never used the numbers...most people want to know wood, size, and type (like blanket or trunk) and leg style. It looks like yours are spool legs or maybe sheraton, but it is an odd angle, so I am not 100% positive.

You can use this link to match the leg styles:

www.google.com/search?q=leg+styles+for+furniture...:

You may want to contact Lane if you have a lock on yours to talk to them about the issue with product safety of their locks--you can read this link and see if your trunk is affected:

www.lanefurniture.com/.../product-safety.html

If you are looking for a quick sale for your piece...most of the plain chests sell for an average of 300-400 dollars.

Unusual chests (those with legs fetch a little more, between the 400-500 dollar range. These are retail prices--meaning seller to buyer online....

If you try to sell on Facebook, Next Door etc. you can start at these values, but you will need to drop them to sell. Been there, done that.

You an also take good photos to an antique dealer and see what he/she will give you...that is easier than trying to sell it online (in any fashion).

Good luck! It is a truly lovely piece! I wish I had room for it!

Best Answer

Well - looking at the condition of the outside of your chest I would tend to think it would only be of interest to someone that wanted (or desperately needed) a storage place for blankets/quilts.

• It is for sure your chest would have to be bought by someone who intended to refinished it (and the veneer is a wreck on the bottom piece) or planned to keep it covered (hidden from view) or had a basement where it could be used.
  • Don't get me wrong - there are people out there looking for pieces to refinish but they generally want a real bargain and no shipping costs. That generally means it would have to be listed in your area to sell.
  • Advertisement

• This is what I have found about dating a Lane cedar chest but your numbers do not correspond to this explanation but it is possible your chest is older and the numbering system was changed. Does your chest actually have Lane markings or does this happen to be what your mother remembers? Could it be another brand? I'm not sure this is the only way to date the chest so I'm just asking.
  • "All Lane cedar chests have a serial number. It doubles as the manufacturing date the chest was made when you read the number from right to left or backward. This means a chest generally has a five- or six-digit number that tells the month, day and two-digit year it was built. A chest built on April 1, 1940, would read from left to right 04140. Chests manufactured on two-digit days and in two-digit months generally have at least six digits. If the serial number has seven digits, the first number in the series is the plant number."
  • Advertisement

• www.hunker.com/.../determining-the-value-of-a-lane-cedar...
  • It looks like your chest may be from the 1929-1930 circa - at least it looks like one in this ad.
  • www.ebay.com/.../362438616803?hash=item54630666e3...
  • Here is one listing that claims chest to be from the 1920's (not sure about that) and you can see a similar leg style so I do believe these were the styles from that era. I do know that styles changed in the 1930's and started leaning toward the "art deco" styles.
  • Then you run across a totally weird listing like this that does not make any sense except that the seller wants someone to haul the chest away. This is a pick up only listing. They say the same thing as you "good condition inside".
  • www.ebay.com/.../283014558251?hash=item41e4fb722b...
  • I believe you can check eBay or other sites for Lane listings and most chests will be in good to excellent condition. It will be rare to find one in the condition as yours and that is what some value is based on. Other things that effect value is the year made and area located.
  • Based on all of this, I think you should ask for an appraisal so that you will know for sure what the condition might mean to value. This could also tell you the age.
  • Here is a link that has some free appraisal sites so why not spend a little time and get the information you need. You will need more pictures (lighter ones) that show detail of condition and style of legs as well as pictures of any and all marks/numbers anywhere in the chest. Appraisals give you a value for insurance but that is a starting point.
  • www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

I am trying to find out how much my Lane cedar chest is worth. Style no. 4304-77. Serial no. 2275121.

I have a Lane cedar chest style# 4569-70, serial# 2085180. I would like to know its value and age. I can't find the same design anywhere.

Answers

Best Answer

Depending on condition, these range from $125 to over $400.

Best Answer

FYI: Long answer, haha. Ive found some good info though.

Its easier to sell by knowing the age and additional info. The serial number doubles as the month, day and year it was made when reading backwards from right to left. When there are 7 numbers like the one you have, the first number refers to the plant. So it looks like yours was built on 08-15-80.

Unfortunately, chests built after the 70s have many replicants and arent as coveted as say the ones built in the 20s and 30s. But I still think there is a good chance of you making a little money off of it. As stated in a comment above, the value will also depend on the safety lock. As a result of many terrible incidents that occurred from it locking on its own and not being able to open without a key or latch. Although, I have found that the company states that there are around 6 million of the 12 million manufactured that do not have the safety lock detail at all. I cant see your pic well enough to see if yours has it or not.

So far Ive seen chests ranging from $50 all the way to $700. So, it definitely depends on condition, year, area youre selling it in, etc.

Ive looked everywhere and cant seem to find this same chest either. I have found you a contact number that may help you determine the value easier. They seem to be located in Virginia. Below is their contact number.

1-877-251-5010

Hope this helps you and let us know what you find out!!

How much is this worth and where is best place to sell this Lane love chest?

How much is this Lane mini chest worth? I can't find anything like this one online.

Answers

Best Answer

This one on Etsy is very similar to yours. It is painted white and they are asking $300. www.pinterest.com/.../

Best Answer

This looks like an exact match to yours that sold in May 2019 for $35.

www.loveseat.com/.../

That to me is a little low, but the market for these type pieces is very soft right now as "brown" furniture has generally fallen out of favor with the younger buyers and the older buyers are trying to downsize and sell their pieces.

It is very lovely!! I hope where you are there is a high demand and you can fetch a little more for it!

Post back with an update. Thanks for sharing!

I have a Lane Aroma Tite cedar chest, serial number 2195101. What year was it produced, what should it be valued at, and what would it have sold for in a retail shop?

Answers

Best Answer

Your chest is 27 almost 28 years old and it is in beautiful condition. Even the paint and design on the chest are beautiful. You should be able to ask $200 to $275 for this chest. You should start off higher and it is easy to work your way down to arrive at a good price for you. Just keep in mind shipping costs a lot so it is a good idea to sell this locally.

Best Answer

I don't know if this Pin from Pinterest will share or not, but I found what may be your original chest before painting:

www.pinterest.com/.../

If you can't get the ad from the link you may be able to search it yourself with the phrase Lane Chests 1991
Photo by moogirl2 on flickr

In the Lane ad, it says prices then started at $200.

Lane chests today have lost value in today's resale marekt, which is so sad.

Most sit unsold on every auction and local site I know with prices as low as $10 and as high as several hundred dollars.

You can try starting yours at $100 and take best offer, which in many places may be as low as $10.

Lovely piece!! Post back how your sale goes!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely piece!

I am looking for any information on a Lane cedar chest. I was lucky enough to have to this beautiful piece given to me. I have just found a love of antiques and collectibles. I am still very much researching and learning. I was wondering if any of you would be able to share your experience with me. I know this chest is a Lane. I haven't found any pictures in my search that match. I'm in the process of locating the serial number. Thank you so much in advance.

Finding serial numbers was extremely difficult for me. I live alone with my 3 year old daughter. I was not physically able to turn it upside down. However, I turned my flash on and took pictures of the bottom. I found numbers stamped on the bottom of the pull out drawer part. 1734 04 I think. I had to take multiple pics because I couldn't get my phone to zoom out enough. I could just barely get my hand holding my phone under. Here's the pics.

Answers

Best Answer

Lovely piece!! I have it pegged from the late 1970s or early 1980s, so vintage but not antique (antique is used to describe items approx 100 years old or older).

Since you have a child at home, I strongly suggest calling the company that now owns Lane and send them this photo and ask if they can confirm it was one of the recalled ones

They were recalled because the locking mechanism resulted in a number of deaths of small children who were trapped inside.

I am sorry you can't get all of the numbers...hopefully they can use just a photo to help you. The recall affects products made from 1977 thru 2015.

Here is their info:

Call toll-free at 877-251-5010 and select Option 4, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT, leave a message after hours of operation

or

Send an email to LaneRepair@ufifurniture.com

or

order the free replacement latch and lock online at www.lanefurniture.com/.../product-safety.html.

Safety first!!

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!

This belonged to my husband's grandmother, who was born in 1911 and married in 1928. It's in fantastic shape with the original finish. The inside is pristine and doesn't even look like it's been used. One piece of wood veneer on the bottom is missing where the serial number had been. The style number in the card says 44841. I assume she had it when she married. Any ideas as to the year it was made and possible value?

We acquired this recently and are wondering what value it may have? It was my MIL's, not sure of the date.

I have a Lane cedar chest. I am looking for any information you may have on it.
Serial #2275110
Style #4304-77

Answers

Best Answer

It is in great shape. Asking prices on eBay range from $250 to $375 for chests like this.

Best Answer

I believe your chest is one of the unusual ones and may need to be appraised to learn the true present value. I have been unable to find any chest remotely resembling yours.

Your chest was made during the period the self-locking locks were used so If your chest still has the old style lock it should be replaced. Lane still offers free locks through this address.

patch.com/.../if-you-have-a-lane-cedar-chest-heres...

Serial number 2275110 - production date: 01/15/72. You start on the right and read to the left but you drop the last 2 as it is the plant number.

"Some chests may also have an extra digit which denotes the plant location.

For example: serial number 2557121 would have been produced on 12/17/55 in plant #2.

That said; it seems easy to remedy that problem so due to these circumstances, locks are not considered a detriment to value (Lane appraisal).

• Your picture is very dark but it looks like you have cushion seat and also a drawer (?) at the bottom. What type of material is the cushion made of? Is it in very good condition?
  • What about the overall condition of the chest? Does it have any bad issues/scratches/marks?
  • Does the chest have a drawer or is it plain inside?
  • What are the measurements?

All of this information will be necessary for someone (even an expert) to be able to give you a good appraisal.

Very good pictures will make a big difference. Be sure the pictures are not this dark and take several pictures at all angles and be sure to take photos of all tags/markings (serial & style numbers) and show any damage places.

You can ask for free appraisals (some are very good but you will learn something from everyone you ask) ask on several sites (not just one).

I have been told that Lane does answer emails so you might want to ask your question here first.

www.lanefurniture.com/contacts.html

This is a very good link on researching the value of a Lane cedar chest:

www.hunker.com/.../determining-the-value-of-a-lane-cedar...

If you decide to try for an appraisal here is a link to check out:

support.chairish.com/.../115006515948-Contact-Chairish

Here is another link to check out: You must follow their instructions when asking for information.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Barneby's also does great appraisals but they charge $17.

www.barnebys.com/.../

Good luck and we would like to know more about your cedar chest so let us know what you find out.

I have inherited a lane cedar chest, serial number 364021, style # 1941-41.
The outside has been sanded down as it was in rough shape, most of the hardware is gone and needs to be replaced. The inside is really good. Can you give me an idea of value, and does anyone have a pic of that model, so I can refurbish it as best I can?

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMarch 21, 2019
😷
📓
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Lane-Cedar-Chest-2.html