Value of Vintage Bassett Furniture

Founded in 1902, Bassett Furniture is one of the oldest furniture manufacturers in Virginia. This long production history means that there are a lot of pieces out there in the marketplace. The value of most vintage furniture including pieces from Bassett is dependent on considerations such as age, rarity, demand, and condition.

I have this dresser and it has a mirror, not pictured. I am wondering how much it is worth and if there is a benefit to refinishing it? Where is the best place to sell it?

Answers

Best Answer

Where are you located? In some places this French provincial style is in demand. For example a whole bunch of similar pieces have sold in the Delaware / Maryland /Virginia area for up to $300. Some on eBay sold, some on Facebook, and other resale sites.

Talk to a reputable vintage dealer in your are to see if they are valued in your town! If not, they can tell you if you could fetch more if you redid it.

Post back what you learn! I hope you are in a place where this style is having a resurgence!!!

I have inherited this mirror and have done as much research as possible. Is there any value to it? The frame is plastic, but I believe that it was produced in the 1940s or 50s. It is in great condition also.

Answers

Best Answer

My understanding and memory of Bassett products is that they used the plastics mostly in the 1960s, so unless my memory is wrong (it happens a lot so that is possible) or they started using it before then and I just always knew about the later pieces), I am thinking your mirror may be from that era.

Do you have any paperwork like a bill of sale on it to show it was older? Or do you remember it being around in the 40s-50s? That would confirm the age.

Either way, where I am (this is the caveat) in Pittsburgh, the plastic frame Bassett's while lovely, did not hold their value and sell for less than $75, sometimes as low as $25. Now, if you are in a place where there is a high demand for Victorian pieces that are not wood, you may fetch a little more.

I was looking to show you some examples of sold ones (which is the only way to show value--finding and exact Apples to Apples one that sold--and I am not finding any at the moment that can confirm today's ACTUAL value, so my caveat is that generally this is what these fetch in Pittsburgh on any given day.

Nationally even, I can't find an exact match that sold which is surprising.

There are a ton of variables with mirrors also...like if there is even a single spot that needs resilvered, it drastically drops the price. If there is any discoloration to the frame, the same. If it is beveled mirror glass it ups the price a tad. Yours looks to be in very nice shape, but not beveled.

Thanks for sharing it!! These are neat pieces and people that love them LOVE them so I hope you find someone who loves it and MUST HAVE it for their special space!

How much do guys think this is worth? It's a Basset Mirror company mirror. It measures 7 feet, has beveled glass at the top, and the frame is solid wood.

Answers

It could be worth $250 or more. Take it to a dealer.

Anonymous

Thanks Julie it weighs like 150+ pounds but I will keep that in mind going to try and do some more research

In the past when people would buy collectibles I would say this mirror would sell for over $500. However, today the value of these items has declined and I think you are looking at around $200.

In order to see if this is worth more than I have quoted you it is a good idea to talk with an auction house.

Neat item!

Basset French or sometimes called Venetian-Style Mirrors are all over the place in value (SOLD prices), depending on where you are located. I have seen them sell (actual sold prices for similar but not exact, pristine pieces) for as low as $35.

If you go online, you will see people ASKING from $100-$1000 for similar--pristine pieces, but there is no evidence that I can find that people are actually getting that much. All of the listings I have seen went unsold or were ended with no indication of if a sale took place.

Yours looks like it has some condition issues and it may have been painted, which will impact (usually lower) the value.

Because there is a such a huge variation in what people ask and what people will pay and sales of pieces like this are regional, my best guidance for you is to find out what you local market will bear and have it sold through a good vintage/antique/consignment shop.

They will have the place to display it and wait for the right buyer to come along, since selling a piece this large is much harder to do than sell the smaller versions. There are a few of the smaller ones that are still fetching $100-200 as sold values.

I always suggest to try to find a shop that pays cash on the spot, or second best, one with a 50/50 contract split of final sale. Be sure to read the contract carefully as some will do 50/50 splits, but they lower the asking price every week and if it doesn't sell until week 12, when the final asking price is pennies on the dollar.

Post back how it goes for you! Thanks for sharing this lovely piece! I hope it finds a good home soon!

Thank you guys have been so helpful!! As far as the paint job I has a professional finish to and as far as I can tell the chips are intentional,. But that's only my opinion the underneath is like rich brown you guys all bring very valid points I will look in to it and keep you guys posted happy holidays guys and thanks

Happy holidays! Post back what you learn!!

This mirror was in my now 116yr old house when I bought it almost 15 years ago. (Along with some pretty hideous wallpaper.) It has been moving around the house in those years and it is time for it to finally make an exit. I have no idea if it has any value.

Answers

This one is asking $320. www.ebay.com/.../303101842074?hash=item469247129a...

Neat-o item! Classic Hollywood Regency style. Lots and lots and lots of these were sold in the 50s through 1970s, which were I am makes these literally a dime a dozen. Nearly yard sale and flea market in Pittsburgh has one like this for sale.

I did some looking at some of my sources from around the country and this particular style--most are sitting unsold from $10-50, and when they are selling they are fetching in the low end of the range from $10-20.

There were some much fancier Bassets with beveled glass and art deco styling that fetch more in the market, but those are much more rare and hard to find in the marketplace.

The basic ones like yours that are selling are pristine...mirrors not needing re-silvered, solid frames, no cracks, etc.

It is hard to tell from the photo because of reflections if the discoloration I am seeing is in the mirror or just reflections from the room. If yours has any discoloration or needs re-silvering, that will definitely lower the value.

You could always put it on your local Facebook Sale Want Trade sites or Next Door and ask $50 and take best offer.

Post back with an update!! Happy selling!!

This one was mass produced and doesn't have a great value at this time.It is very lovely!

What is the design of this Bassett furniture called? What is the design under the glass called? What is the year? What is it worth?

Answers

The style seems to be Spanish Provincial. In my area no one wants this kind of furniture anymore. We had to pay someone to take away a French provincial bedroom. Hopefully you will have better luck.

These are most likely 1970s pieces. I love this article that talks about why this furniture style was so important back then:

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../

They called it Spanish or Mediterranean style in the ads and it was to ad a layer of mystic to the home!

As to value, that is tough. In most places in the US they are not selling. White French Providential has made a slight dent in the resale market on the east coast, but the brown Spanish style has yet to get a new foothold.

If you have a good vintage furniture resale shop in your town, I would approach them and see what they would offer you for them or if they would sell them on consignment for you.

They will know what they fetch in your town and can price accordingly AND get the most exposure without having people traipsing in and out of your house to look at them.

My guess is like every other trend, these will become in fashion again, is just right now, they are not.

Post back with an update!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMay 17, 2019
🎄
🍂