Value of Vintage Bassett Furniture?

Founded in 1902, Bassett Furniture is one of the oldest furniture manufacturers in Virginia. This long production history means that there are a lot of pieces out there in the marketplace. The value of most vintage furniture including pieces from Bassett is dependent on considerations such as age, rarity, demand, and condition.

Is this a rare find? My husband and I received this piece from his dad. It's almost 4 feet in length and has beautiful fruit painted on it. I can't seem to find anything like it, but I know it's a Bassett. Any ideas on its value?

Answers

Best Answer

You are right I can't seem to find one either. If you can not find any markings on the back of the panel it makes it a bit more difficult to narrow down and identify the panel. If you are keeping this and need to understand the price to put it on your insurance I would seek the help of an antique dealer in your area.

They can give you the value of the item so you can send it to your insurance company. It is a nice piece and if you have room in your home for this panel it would be a nice piece to display and keep. it is very unusual and unique and would make a good conversational piece for sure.

How much do guys think this is worth? It's a Basset Mirror company mirror. It measures 7 feet, has beveled glass at the top, and the frame is solid wood.

Answers

Best Answer

Neat item!

Basset French or sometimes called Venetian-Style Mirrors are all over the place in value (SOLD prices), depending on where you are located. I have seen them sell (actual sold prices for similar but not exact, pristine pieces) for as low as $35.

If you go online, you will see people ASKING from $100-$1000 for similar--pristine pieces, but there is no evidence that I can find that people are actually getting that much. All of the listings I have seen went unsold or were ended with no indication of if a sale took place.

Yours looks like it has some condition issues and it may have been painted, which will impact (usually lower) the value.

Because there is a such a huge variation in what people ask and what people will pay and sales of pieces like this are regional, my best guidance for you is to find out what you local market will bear and have it sold through a good vintage/antique/consignment shop.

They will have the place to display it and wait for the right buyer to come along, since selling a piece this large is much harder to do than sell the smaller versions. There are a few of the smaller ones that are still fetching $100-200 as sold values.

I always suggest to try to find a shop that pays cash on the spot, or second best, one with a 50/50 contract split of final sale. Be sure to read the contract carefully as some will do 50/50 splits, but they lower the asking price every week and if it doesn't sell until week 12, when the final asking price is pennies on the dollar.

Post back how it goes for you! Thanks for sharing this lovely piece! I hope it finds a good home soon!

Best Answer

I believe the size of your mirror will lower the value unless you are in a high income/large house area as most people today do not live in the same houses long enough to want to have to deal with moving a piece this size.

Also, the majority of houses are just not capable of displaying a piece this size.

I usually always recommend to have a free online appraisal with something like this as the markets we research just do not do pieces like this justice..
Just remember; appraisals are usually for insurance purposes and do not take into account the exact condition (unless there are very obvious problems) and do not refer to the area the item is located. Usually the value would be 40-60% lower than an appraisal value.
Now you can ask for a resale value (and include your area) and that might help. You can also ask about the nearest auction house that would be good for this type of furniture.
You will need several very good pictures - full length and close-ups as well as full back and framing for sure. Details of any flaws as well as pictures and any provenance information you may know about the mirror. Be sure to give your location. Be sure to send information to more than one site.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Is this aBassett 6 drawer highboy style chest of drawers. It has a cherry finish and a pediment top. It measures 37" wide x 19" deep x 76" high.

Answers

Best Answer

I can not find a single Bassett 6 drawer highboy online that has the top on it like yours has. I did find one dresser that has the exact same handles on it that yours does. This one was from the Eden House Collections and it was a Cherry Double Dresser. I checked more than one place who has Bassett dressers listed and not a single site I checked that has the top on the highboy like you do. You should check on the bottom or back of the dresser for a label. This one should help.

Best Answer

Bassett is still in business, so maybe call them and see if you can email them a photo. Their number is 1.877.525.7070.

Have you checked for a mark in the drawers (either on the drawer itself--inside or outside or in the drawer well?

Ethan Allen and Pennsylvania House made pieces that look just like yours, but they are marked as above.

There were store brands that made these pieces, those were often unmarked or had paper tags that fell off along the way.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

From all research that I've done over the years, a 'good' brand of furniture will almost always have their name imprinted somewhere - usually on the inside of the drawers and sometimes on the back (Antiques can be exceptions sometimes). Some had paper tags but the ones I've seen with paper tags had them 'stapled' where at least part of the tag usually remained for many years.

If your chest does not have a brand stamped somewhere it is probably a chest made by a company that produced furniture and sold to many different stores - such as Rhodes or even Ikea - (stores can carry off brand as well as brand name pieces).

Most of these companies copied (as close as legally possible) brand name styles that were popular at the time - these are commonly called 'knock-offs' but can still be very well made and not necessarily cheap.

Here are some good examples of this style that have brand names (almost all companies have made this top highboy at some time over the years).

www.ebay.com/.../333123863959?_trkparms=aid%3D555018...

www.ebay.com/.../293250882391?hash=item44471d5b57...

www.ebay.com/.../293166148221?hash=item4442106a7d...

Let us know if you find a brand name anywhere and someone will help you further.

I found this beautiful vintage Bassett desk and a vintage chair by B.L. Marble. I have already sent more pictures of the chair to a museum in Ohio who is working on that, but I'm curious if anyone could tell me anything about the desk? I do have more pictures of both if anyone is interested.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

While searching, I saw this picture of your 9 drawer desk dating 1957, but the drawer pulls are different. It did not provide the value.

www.bing.com/.../search?view=detailV2&id=9608038DCBEECFB8543AC0A9AE2E305A46611BAF...

Best Answer

In 1884 Barzilla marble formed his own company,by selling chairs.Go over your pieces with a magnifying glass.Write every number and name.It will help you find it's worth.On E-bay there is a rolling chair worth 100.00.I do not have the date of that piece.

I have a 1970s or 1980s Basset medium sized dresser. It is 42" tall, all wood, in good condition, 4 drawers (1 skinny, 2 regular, 1 deep). The front has been painted. Is it worth anything more than standard dresser would cost on used sales sites ($40-50)?

Answers

Best Answer

I am not finding the exact one you have in the photo here. However, I have found a site that lists the prices of Bassett furniture and recommends the dealers who sell them. I would start off here to check the prices of how much they are selling for. www.vintagefurnitureguide.com/.../

You can see the prices on eBay and how much people are asking for their pieces. Compare the two sites and determine the high and low value of the piece you are trying to sell. Now take an average and list this on the higher end. You can always go lower depending on the offers you receive. www.ebay.com/.../bn_54740423

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing. So, technically you usually find these titled Chest of Drawers vs. Dresser. When you search that way, you can see many more comparable items.

I believe yours is missing the feet as I don't remember any Bassett piece of this era not having feet, although it is possible that my memory is failing me.

If it did have feet and you have them (some have screw on feet to help them navigate doors and hallways) I would add them back. If they were not screw on feet, and you can carefully turn the piece to look, you may see the ghosts of the feet if there were any (discolored markings on the corners).

With the front painted and it possibly missing feet, where I am this piece would fetch in the 10.00-15.00 range at the flea or on FB marketplace.

Furniture is very supply and demand based product and so my location (Western PA), may be different than your location.

You can always start high....like $100 and take best offer, but be prepared for how low an offer may go.

Sadly there is a glut of what is considered mass made brown furniture on the market at the moment. Even though Bassett is a really good and sturdy product, there is a lot of it out there for sale.

Unless the piece is pristine and is a style that is very hot right now....mid century modern has held on surprisingly longer than I thought it would...most pieces do not sell for much in the resale world.

Post back how your sale goes! Thanks for asking!

I have this Bassett chest and the 9 drawer dresser to match. The word, monitor, is stamped on the back. Is that the name of the collection? Any idea of value for the 2 pieces?

I have a Basset piece that appears to be from 1970s Nautical collection, but with Keller Brass Co. pulls, and no brass edging. Can anyone help?

Answers

I am not sure right now is really a good time to sell but I can tell you this. I am not finding the exact dresser that you have posted here. There are a lot for sale right now and the average sale price in really good condition starts at $350 and goes up from there. The real value of your items is when you can find the exact same item sold recently in your area. That would be the exact value of your item today. Other than this you can try an auction and start at $350 and see if anyone bids on this and the price goes higher.

Now for more about your dresser. Here is a site to help you out. If you can not find what you need here then you will need to speak to an antique dealer in your area. antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Furniture_Value_Lookup

I bought this at a garage sale. I am just wondering if anyone can give me any information, such as the year it was made and if it has any value.

Thank you.

I have a Bassett Furniture student desk that is in the original green color and is in great shape. I would like to sell it, but I can't find anything similar to it in order to set a selling price. Do you have any suggestions on how much to price it at? I currently live in Indiana, but will be moving in a couple of months and would rather not move this...one less thing. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Answers

Best Answer

Currently, I see on eBay they have a person selling a Bassett desk made from walnut starting at $200. So far no bids have been placed on this item and there isn't much time left. You should really consider selling this locally because you are moving soon and don't want the added expense of shipping this item. If you are in a hurry to sell this desk you can list this on Craigslist in your area for around $90 and see what people offer you from there.

So I bought this at the Salvation Army about 6 years ago for my elementary aged son. I never looked at the brand I just thought the size was perfect for him. A few months ago I renovated his room and now bought a black dresser (to match his headboard, nightstand & desk). Except for some dings where the handles are, the dresser has been a pretty solid piece over the years. I saw a Bassett stamp on the inside and did a search, shocked by how expensive their furniture is (I don't think I spent over $50 for it). I tried looking for a similar piece, but can't find one. I'm not sure even what kind of wood it is. Maple? Oak? Can you help me? Thanks for your time.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMay 17, 2019
😷
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-Vintage-Bassett-Furniture.html