Determining the Value of Vintage Furniture

Category Antiques
The value of inherited or purchased vintage furniture may be hard to assess. This is a guide about determining the value of vintage furniture.

This is a guide about determining the value of vintage chairs. Whether you have inherited or purchased vintage chairs, it can be fun to find out what they are worth. Here are some tips to help you figure out their value.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about finding the value of a vintage wardrobe. Here are some tips about how to research the value of an antique piece of furniture.

I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of end tables that I saw today. I was wondering if you could tell me what I should offer.

The tops lift off and they have beveled glass all the way around.

Thanks very much.

Answers

Best Answer

With something like this you will have to make your own decision about what to offer according to how bad you want the tables.

Remember that a lot of tables you will see on line (that you may be looking at) may have to be shipped and that is an expensive addition to the initial cost.

If it were me, I would not offer more than $50 each and they would have to be in very good condition but then I am not in your city (location many times determines the true value of furniture).

You should base your offer on how much the tables mean to you as well as how badly the "seller" wants to sell the tables (money?).

Check out some stores that sell similar furniture.

I have some vintage Thomasville faux bamboo tables. What are they worth?

Answers

Best Answer

The complete set may go as high as $1,000 or more if presented in the right place (if they are in better than "good" condition).

• Furniture sales are unpredictable even at a live auction as it takes someone to be in the audience looking for that particular item or someone looking for a bargain to resell.
  • Here is a list for one end table like yours but there is no way to tell how long it has been listed or if it will ever sell. Shipping cost is very high which adds to the price of the table.
  • www.ebay.com/.../302690517326?hash=item4679c2c14e...
  • Most individual sellers (not dealers) will list their furniture as "pick up only" which means that it is really only for sale to anyone in their area. This is okay but it just means you are reaching a small audience that is based on where you live and also the average income fits in with this.
  • Sometimes Craigslist is more successful with furniture and it is free for individuals (usually) so you can ask whatever price you want and lower if no one seems interested.
  • Ad

• You might want to ask for an appraisal to see what someone can tell about your tables. Not that appraisals are always that good because it still depends on location.
  • here are some links that state "free" appraisals but always check before you list. Also a link for Barneby's but they charge $17 but usually well worth it.
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

Can anyone tell me when this Johnson Carper French provincial dresser was made and is it worth much? It looks to have been painted.

Answers

This is a different style chest, but also Johnson Carper and French Provincial. The asking price is $499.

I am curious about the value and where this is from. It is 19" tall.

Answers

It is hard to assess a value without knowing the manufacturer. Look on the sides of the drawers or on the back.

I have. There was some kind of paper attached to the back but nothing left of it. Thanks.

19" tall kinda limits the type of table or chest it could be but about the right height for jewelry chest or a lace/handkerchief chest but the style doesn't quite seem appropriate as most of this type would not have legs and would just set on dresser or chest.

• As a general rule It looks like there have been repairs so that would reduce the original value considerably.
  • Sorry but I cannot think of any type of table to research so you may have to ask more experienced people.
  • You might want to ask for a free appraisal and maybe they can at least tell you what you have.
  • If you decide to complete one of these you should try to present a little better photo as some of yours are very dark so details are difficult to see.
  • Be sure to give accurate measurements and also any history you have on the item.

You can post a reply if you find out what your chest is called and maybe the value.

This Davenport couch was bought at auction in 1946. We still have the original receipt! We have no idea what its worth, but are looking to sell. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Answers

I'm seeing similar ones go for over $1,500. I'm in love with yours! I wish I could buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A similar age Davenport couch is going on Etsy for $1800. www.etsy.com/.../1940s-vintage-sofa-couch-davenport...

I would do a search on "Google" and also on eBay to find out what the going price is.

I believe you have your sofa description listed incorrectly as a Davenport is pretty much a "regular" style couch/sofa.

• Davenport was really a company and they produced what was later called couch/sofa. (Not that that is so important.)
  • I believe your "sofa" is really a Duncan Phyfe style such as shown here.
  • www.ebay.com/.../duncan-phyfe-sofa
  • I do not believe anyone on this site can really give you any idea as to the true value of your sofa as you say it was purchased at auction in 1946 so one knows the actual manufactured date to put on this piece.
  • Here is a similar sofa presently listed on eBay but it has been reupholstered which decreases the value. Most heavy furniture listed on eBay by individuals will be for "pick up only" as shipping would be several hundred dollars. This just means that it is being listed for that person's area only.
  • In reality, if someone really wants a sofa like yours, they will pay the freight to have it delivered.
  • www.ebay.com/.../202253622944?hash=item2f17415ea0...
  • If your piece is in as good a condition as it appears (everything still original?) then it could be worth several thousand dollars.
  • If you have an antique dealer in your area you might want to seek an appraisal (but do not sell until you know more). Seeing it first hand could be beneficial as they may be able to put a name and year to your piece.
  • There are some on-line sites that offer "free" appraisals so it would not hurt to check those out also. Here are a couple of links to check.
  • dealers.antiquesnavigator.com/.../
  • I believe that it would be worth the money to have your sofa appraised by Barnebys. The cost is $17 but you may get a lot more information and most likely the most accurate.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

Maybe you could post a comment and update your post after you receive some information from a reliable place.
Good luck - I think you have a winner!!

Thank you for the responses and info. I think ill Have it appraised properly and go from there. Looking to sell it.

Good luck - I hope it is worth a huge sum!!

Who made table? What kind of table is it? What's it worth?

These were purchased by my aunt approximately 50 years ago. I ended up with them when I last moved, and my kids have been using them for several years now. I'm in the process of moving again and they are way too heavy and outside of our taste to justify moving. I cannot locate any markings on either of them. They are very heavy. How can I find out a ballpark figure for what they are worth?

We have a full dining room set that we purchased from a private owner 35 years ago. It was manufactured by Mount Airy Mantel and Table. It was purchased from Shoor Brothers Inc. out of Hartford, Connecticut. We have moved to Flordia and our children want to buy their own things. The pictures reflect damage to veneer on edge of table. We purchased it that way with intent to fix, but never did. The furniture needs a good cleaning and polishing, but is still a very handsome set. We would like to know value of it.

How do I find out the fair market value for my vintage furniture?

By dawn holmes from Fort Worth, TX

Answers

Go to "Fair Market Value of Vintage Furniture" lot of info & picture there, good luck.

When buying antique furniture, the price is always higher than when you sell it to an antique dealer. We just sold 7 antique items and didn't get anywhere near what we had originally paid for them. But very thankful that they are sold since the furniture would not fit in our new apartment.

Dawn, go to the Montgomery Street Antique Mall and walk around for a few hours. You will find things similar to yours, plus the people who have stores there are very helpful. Take photos of your vintage furniture and see if you can get some help. They are really, really, nice there. I've done that a number of times.

I have 2 chairs that I cannot identify the era or find any information on. I am no expert, but I have been fumbling around on the internet and am no closer than when I started.

Any interest in providing information is appreciated.

Answers

Without identifying marks, it will be hard. You might want to take one of the chairs to a dealer and get an appraisal.

I have a Henkel Harris tea table I am trying to sell. I don't know what the value is. It is a mahogany table cherry wood. Also, where is a good place to list antique items? We are moving and have a number of items to sell. Thanks!

Answers

I found a table a little fancier than yours on eBay. They are asking $445.

m.ebay.com/.../322611939686?hash=item4b1d2b8966...

I am trying to find the best price on this table. I know it is old, but can't find it anywhere. Suggestions?

Answers

First off you are going to have to help us identify this table. I have a guide I have looked up to help you identify the marking on the table. We will need this in order to help you find the best price for this table. Please refer to this guide to help you locate the table's markings. After this add a comment so we can help you search further.
home.howstuffworks.com/.../how-to-identify-antique-wooden-furniture...