Determining the Value of Vintage Furniture

Category Antiques
The value of inherited or purchased vintage furniture may be hard to assess. This is a page about determining the value of vintage furniture.

I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of end tables that I saw today. I was wondering if you could tell me what I should offer. The tops lift off and they have beveled glass all the way around.

Thanks very much.

Answers

Best Answer

With something like this you will have to make your own decision about what to offer according to how bad you want the tables.

Remember that a lot of tables you will see on line (that you may be looking at) may have to be shipped and that is an expensive addition to the initial cost.

If it were me, I would not offer more than $50 each and they would have to be in very good condition but then I am not in your city (location many times determines the true value of furniture).

You should base your offer on how much the tables mean to you as well as how badly the "seller" wants to sell the tables (money?).

Check out some stores that sell similar furniture.

I was hoping to get more information and possibly the value of this vintage coffee table and 2 end tables. I was told my grandmother may have purchased them in the 1960s. The pictures were sent to me and I have not been over there to look for a brand name.

My mom said the gold sofa and chairs, as well as the coffee table and end tables were all purchased as a set.

I was hoping to get more information and possibly a value for this vintage French Provincial 3 cushion gold tufted sofa and matching accent chairs. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I have some vintage Thomasville faux bamboo tables. What are they worth?

Answers

Best Answer

The complete set may go as high as $1,000 or more if presented in the right place (if they are in better than "good" condition).

• Furniture sales are unpredictable even at a live auction as it takes someone to be in the audience looking for that particular item or someone looking for a bargain to resell.
  • Here is a list for one end table like yours but there is no way to tell how long it has been listed or if it will ever sell. Shipping cost is very high which adds to the price of the table.
  • www.ebay.com/.../302690517326?hash=item4679c2c14e...
  • Most individual sellers (not dealers) will list their furniture as "pick up only" which means that it is really only for sale to anyone in their area. This is okay but it just means you are reaching a small audience that is based on where you live and also the average income fits in with this.
  • Sometimes Craigslist is more successful with furniture and it is free for individuals (usually) so you can ask whatever price you want and lower if no one seems interested.
  • Advertisement

• You might want to ask for an appraisal to see what someone can tell about your tables. Not that appraisals are always that good because it still depends on location.
  • here are some links that state "free" appraisals but always check before you list. Also a link for Barneby's but they charge $17 but usually well worth it.
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

I have this oval side table with some markings on the bottom, but I do not know the manufacturer or the value. Can you help me?

Answers

That marker does not look familiar to me. Is it just a triangle and the number?

My first thought is it is probably a store brand marking. Those are very hard to research as there are not a lot of good records kept on them...at least that I have found in my travels.

Most of the big name brands clearly mark their pieces because it added to their provenance.

Regency style pieces like this one are all over the board in value. I have seen people asking up to $700 for them in auction settings when pristine and with a name brand maker mark.

In the condition yours is in, you may (in the right market) fetch in the $100 range. Now where I am, it would be much less because there is large supply of these and little demand.

Furniture is all about supply and demand. Hopefully you are in a low supply, high demand place and people will pay more for your piece.

Best best is to talk to local furniture resellers in your town to get a feel for your specific market. Maybe one of them can consign it for you to get the best exposure for the piece.

Post back with an update! It is a neat item!

I am looking to find the value of this table and chairs and where/how best to sell the set. It's a 1950s mid century dining table with 3 leaves and 6 chairs. The manufacturer is Kent of Grand Rapids.

Answers

This company was in business from 1946 to 1975. This is a Danish modern set. It is not popular in my area. However, retro 1950s and 1960s sets seem to be in demand on eBay, with prices $500 and up.

www.ebay.com/.../bn_16561642

Thank you!

I am just curious if my 1973 Thomasville bedroom set is worth anything or needs to be put in a yard sale?

Who made table? What kind of table is it? What's it worth?

Answers

Look under the table and chairs for markings. It is very hard to determine value if you dont know who made the set.

I am curious about the value and where this is from. It is 19" tall.

Answers

It is hard to assess a value without knowing the manufacturer. Look on the sides of the drawers or on the back.

I have. There was some kind of paper attached to the back but nothing left of it. Thanks.

19" tall kinda limits the type of table or chest it could be but about the right height for jewelry chest or a lace/handkerchief chest but the style doesn't quite seem appropriate as most of this type would not have legs and would just set on dresser or chest.

• As a general rule It looks like there have been repairs so that would reduce the original value considerably.
  • Sorry but I cannot think of any type of table to research so you may have to ask more experienced people.
  • You might want to ask for a free appraisal and maybe they can at least tell you what you have.
  • If you decide to complete one of these you should try to present a little better photo as some of yours are very dark so details are difficult to see.
  • Be sure to give accurate measurements and also any history you have on the item.

You can post a reply if you find out what your chest is called and maybe the value.

Thanks for the suggestions.

this looks like an antique of some kind but since it is not in pristine condition and looks to have had repairs it is hard to imagine an antiquarian would provide a real great value for it.

But you could probably find someone willing to give you at least $50 for it ecause it' is super cool looking

Thx. That's pretty much what I thought.

My mom is downsizing and we want to sell some of her old furniture. We are hoping you can help us with a fair price to ask? She has a 1930s Thomasville armoire, dresser, and nightstand.
Sorry I did not get pictures with the tops clean. :)
Thank you.

I'm looking to sell my sofa that I inherited. It seem to be a vintage piece. I have been looking around and it looks similar to Kagan serpentine sofas, but the legs are different. I have no idea what it is worth or anything about it. Help please!

I purchased this pie crust table for $20 with the intention to chalk paint it for my porch. It is nicer than I expected and I am now wondering if I should leave it original. Is there a way to tell the manufacturer/age and value? It is 32 inches in diameter and 28 inches high with a stamp of K 1030 on the underneath.

I have several old pieces of hand carved furniture. The artist or age is unknown, but it has had a lot of work put into it and is possibly an antique. I am curious of it's resale value. It has hand carved text in initial gothic c font which reads "gute nacht" in German.

What is a Mersman coffee table #6964 and a vanity by American Treasure by Drexel #G07-310-2 worth?

This Davenport couch was bought at auction in 1946. We still have the original receipt! We have no idea what its worth, but are looking to sell. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Answers

I'm seeing similar ones go for over $1,500. I'm in love with yours! I wish I could buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A similar age Davenport couch is going on Etsy for $1800. www.etsy.com/.../1940s-vintage-sofa-couch-davenport...

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesMarch 29, 2016
🎃