Identifying Vintage Furniture

Vintage furniture is technically furniture that is less than 100 years old. Determining the age of the piece if possible is a good first step. Check the underside for markings identifying a manufacturer, if none are found, more research on-line or via a vintage and antique dealer might be next. This page contains tips for identifying vintage furniture.

I've had this chair for three years, I love it! I will never get rid of it. I'm just curious as to what type of chair it is. All tags and markers have been removed. Can someone help to identify it?

Answers

Best Answer

This is a pretty classic 1950s high back club chair. If you Google rattan sides tufted chair velvet you will see lots of examples. Many people call these mid century modern. It is one place where I disagree on that description.

Mcm pieces have cleaner lines. The finials are more of a shaker or colonial style. I am happy you are keeping and enjoying it. Their value is low in the under 50 dollar range in most places. Where I am, it is even less. It looks very comfy!! Enjoy! Thanks for sharing!

Who make this type of one piece? The mirror, frame, and console are one piece. The console has a marble top. The mirror below the console is beveled for those with princess feet to utilize.

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks for posting more photos! It looks like a Victorian Style Hall Tree. Depending on where you are located, unmarked pieces can sell for $500-$1000 in the right setting. These are very hard to find where I am so you would fetch more than in a place where there are lots of these.

The best bet if you are not an experienced seller is to let an antique dealer or vintage shop either sell it for you or consign it for you. This way you will get the most exposure, most value, and you won't have to deal with the flakes and scammers on sites like Craig's List.

It is a lovely piece!! Post back how your sale goes!

Best Answer

Hi Sam, I wish I had a bigger house, this piece is lovely!!

Thanks for the better photos, especially the one of the back. If that back is particle board I will peg the mirror from the 50s OR repaired in the 50s as the older mirrors (40s and older) usually had real wood backs. Originally I had it pegged for the 1930s...but the back has me changing that (unless the back is not original).

That said, I think you have a valuable piece. You said you are in CA so I would hope you could shop it around to a number of stores and get a decent price for it.

The furniture maker is going to be a tough one, especially if that is not the original back.

I am leaning to an Italian maker because of the lines of the carvings and the marble, although there were lots of US makers who used marble tops. That would have been a bear to come over on a ship, but if someone wanted it, they would have because that is what people did.

Please post back what your local expert gives you!! This is a super cool piece that would look amazing in a big house!!

Best Answer

Pghgirl40 Hello...Because of your positive curiosity, I actually discovered what it is I own and at some point, going to sell. My pieces is a....PULASKI HALL TREE Marble Top Beveled Mirror Stands 80" TALL X 38 1/2" WIDE X 13" DEEP MARBLE 22" WIDE X 11" DEEP.

The Pulaski Furniture Company has a cool United States of America origin. You will have fun reading about the company. My piece was made in the 60's. I believe in the lovely state of Virginia. I will keep you posted as soon as I have someone chomping on the bit Thanks Again... Sincerely Sam

www.fundinguniverse.com/.../

I have a desk/cabinet which is a dark wood. On the swinging front door, to the right, are 4 fleur de lis, one in each corner, and the carving of a woman's profile in the middle. I am wondering its origin. France I suppose.

A couple distinctions regarding this piece. First the hardware is slotted indicates age the back is wood with that hardware not staples. But it isnt very heavy which I thought it might be. The fleur de lis are copper or bronze stamped looked like carving. I picked it up from a couple on market place.

I have a wardrobe and was recently asked if it's burl wood. How can I tell?

Answers

Best Answer

Sure does appear to be burlwood. The kind of wood it is, I don't know because burl wood is actually not a species of tree, but comes from several kinds as the tree's abnormal growth stage things change to create this look. It's a very expensive wood; you've got a keeper in my book! The wood is beautiful, artistic and serves a purpose.....I also did research on birdseye maple wood to see if there's any resemblance and I didn't see any. Burlwood is my final answer.

Best Answer

There is a whole wiki on what makes a burl pattern in woods en.wikipedia.org/.../Burl

It is a highly sought after "defect" and I believe yours is a burl pattern probably of walnut wood.

I can't touch or feel it, but the shine off it of it from the window makes me wonder if it a laminate/veneer and not a true wood burl...the burl pattern could be adhered to a veneer over a lesser wood.

This would make a huge difference if you are trying to sell it in the value as a true burl can fetch a lot in some markets, while a veneer may be almost impossible to sell.

Are you asking to value it? If so, I would need a lot more info, including a look see inside! Thanks!

I bought this piece of furniture at a thrift store. It appears to be semi-homemade. I'm wondering if some of you with creative minds will tell me what you think this item was designed to be. There's storage space behind the little door. The top lifts up so you can put things inside. The drawer seems to be in an unusual place. I love the uniqueness of the item and am curious to see what ideas everyone has.

Answers

Best Answer

What a neat puzzle piece!! Very fun!!

The very bottom reminds me of an old fashioned Ice Chest (pre refrigerator).

The very top reminds me of a cabinet where you would open it for the record player.

The puzzle is the drawer. The drawer from nowhere!!

I will look for other posts with input!

Fun thing! Enjoy your treasure!

Best Answer

This is a very unusal piece and I am sure it was never sold in a store. It almost looks like a cabinet maker made this piece for his family or even a child's room. It is well crafted and very unique. It almost looks like it started off as a table and then they added the top section to this to use as a storage unit in a child's room.

Can anyone help me with information on this end table? I have been browsing the internet, but no luck. The handle is stamped K4815 (Karges Furniture Co.), but the actual piece has no markings.

Answers

Best Answer

The Karges Furniture company is a good company and the tables they make are worth money today. In order to find out the true value of this table it is best to talk to a dealer who handles these types of items. I am sure your table can fetch a good price if you try selling it through a dealer and not on your own.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info and additional picture. I am wondering if someone swapped out the hardware and used a Karges handle. The more I study your piece, I really don't think it has the line/design that Karges is known for. The handle is very simple and looks nice with the piece, but I do wander if it is not a replacement handle.

People swap hardware all the time and it may have just been done because that is what the owner had around. I could be wrong, and hope I am, but it just doesn't fit together.

I suggest taking it to a reputable furniture dealer and having them look at it. They can see and feel things I can't through photos.

You have a nice solid piece of furniture and I am sure it has value, but without knowing exactly what it is, I will not guess.

If you do find out that it is another brand, I would be want to pull the pulls off and sell them on their own. Some Karges pulls sell at $10-30 a piece!

Post back what you learn!!

This chair has a tag that says Charlotte Chair Company made for W. J. Sloane.
I can't find anything online about it. It has an adjustable seat. If anyone has some information they can share about it, that would be appreciated. Could it be a piano chair?

I have a cabinet I bought from the thrift store. I'm not sure what its original use was, but it looks very specific. There are bunch of holes in the doors and inside. It's hard to describe and it's really just out of curiosity that I want to know what this was used for.

My mother passed in May and I'm just cleaning the garage and found this very heavy chest on chest that was my grandmother's. She was born in 1920.

There are markings on the back. Do they mean anything? CHEST ON CHEST YORH RSBU.

I would love to know if this piece is historical in anyway or just sentimental for me.

Thank you!

Answers

My search on the name is not brining up anything at all. I can find some chests of drawers that are similar to yours but do not have the same handles on them at all. I think the next step would be to take some really good images of this and go to an antique shop in your area. They might be able to assist you in identifying this chest of drawers. I do see it has some water damage and will need a bit of repair work. Before doing anything to the dresser I would ask the antique store if this check of drawers has any value at all.

I recently found this piece and fell in love. It needs a little TLC. The seller thought it was from the 30s. Thank you in advance. Isn't she beautiful?

Answers

Best Answer

I would tend to agree 1930s, maybe early 20s. I am basing this on that my grandmother had a very similar piece and that would have been how old hers was. I wish I had hers!! I need to ask my brother if he still has it. I think he inherited it.

Yours is lovely and brought back a nice memory for me!

My grandma's had a shelf at the bottom and she used it as a breakfront (even though you could not see into it). I want to say they were meant to be used as hall pieces...but my memory of what she told me is gone. She did not have a hallway in her tiny apartment, which is why it was used in the dining room.

Post back with updates as you get her back to life!! She will be stunning!! I can see she has amazing bones!

Can you share how much you paid for her and where (what city) you are in? I am always curious of values of pieces in other places. I am thinking where I am something like this would be in the mid $200s if pristine and much less needing work.

Thanks for sharing!

I just bought this today. She said it was her grandmother's. (I even found an old 1 cent Jefferson stamp post card). It is only 3' long and 19" in depth, 32" high. It is veneer because some of its splitting and breaking. I looked everywhere for a stamp with a manufacturer, but can not find anything. It's a cool piece, but I know nothing about it. Is it a spinet or a piano desk?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like it was converted from a piano into a desk. Im surprised there are no identifying markings on it.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureDecember 6, 2019
😎
🌻
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Vintage-Furniture-1.html