Identifying a Vintage Table

Identifying vintage tables is aided if your table has a maker's mark or label on the underside. That will help you begin. Otherwise internet research or the advice of a vintage furniture appraiser may be required.

I have this rather old, small table that isn't in the best shape. I am just curious if anyone knows what I have. It could be junk, or maybe not. It has a "B" sort of etched in the back of it. There are no other markings. The screws in the back look brass? Any input would be appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

Hi,

I found one very similar on Etsy, and it is going for $165.00. This is a very pretty end table.

www.etsy.com/.../antique-maple-work-table-1-drawer...

Blessings,

Robyn

Best Answer

This is an interesting little piece! I can't identify the mark. If it is truly old, you would be best suited by taking it to a reputable antique or furniture dealer and having them give you their take on it.

None of the pieces on eBay at the moment match the lines of this piece and my preferred method to quote values is to find exact, apples to apples matches (down to the mark and hardware). That will give you the current market value.

Pieces like this one are typically not altered so you could find a compaeabel online soon The slight differences would be stain color (darker or lighter) or slightly different hardware.

There was an exact shape and similar hardware match to yours on Chairish or one of those sites "repourpose" type sites, where someone said it was a 1991 piece and it had been whitewashed and they were selling it for under $100. That is NOT a comparable piece because it was very significantly altered.

If an antique dealer can't show you an exact match/value, perhaps they can show you pieces from the line and give you a good guesstimate on selling price where you live.

I am curious to hear what a dealer tells you!! Please post back with what you learn. Thanks!

We would like to sell our pie crust table and are wondering what the value of it may be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

What type of table is this? The feet are claw shaped.

Answers

Best Answer

Neat! You don't see these often. They are antique/vintage game tables. Drop tables fold down, game tables fold up.

The shape of the table would be considered carved. If there is an official name for it, it is gone from my brain.

This is a really neat piece! I am guessing by the legs it is from the 1930s-1950s, but I would need to really get underneath and take a look at the underside to get a better feel for what you have.

What do the hinges look like? The screws? Are the feet brass or some other metal?

It is a really neat piece. Are you asking to sell or just for your info?

Best Answer

You have an Imperial game table but the pictures do not show sufficient 'movements' of the table so there is no way to tell if the table turns/spins so that it is stable when you open the leaf.

Many people call this Duncan Phyfe style.
Does your table have a drawer that is 'open' when the top is turned?
I believe the claw feet may be metal and not wood?

You do not say that you are looking for current value but I believe this table may sell in the low hundreds.
There are a lot of vintage/antique game tables listed for sale but the Imperial tables do not appear to be in the high end field. I did find several similar styles listed for sale (only one sold listing) but if you review and read the descriptions you may get some ideas as to what is a good description and be sure to check the pictures because that is what sells furniture.

The following listings are not Imperial but similar game tables.

www.ebay.com/.../183953781149?hash=item2ad47ff19d...

www.ebay.com/.../303010370270?hash=item468cd352de...

www.ebay.com/.../153641136831?_trkparms=aid%3D555018...

www.ebay.com/.../153641136831?hash=item23c5b9b2bf...

www.ebay.com/.../162674329492?hash=item25e0254794...

The following are Imperial game tables so you can see the similarity.

www.ebay.com/.../303183241028?epid=7009304437&hash...

I am looking for info on this table and how it would be used.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a bit strange. It almost looks like 2 tables put on top of each other. Each one of the tables looks like a coffee table and both of them are in poor condition. Plus I do not see any tyep of marks on the bottom of the table so it is hard to say who has made this table. You might want to consider refinishing the tables and taking them apart to use them in your home. Like this the tables are way too high to be used in your living room. It almosts looks like they were made as a dinning table so a person could sit at them and not use them as a coffee table.

I know it's almost impossible to be sure, but I believe I picked up a Duncan Phyfe table with two leafs. Or does this number on the bottom mean something else?

Answers

Best Answer

Your table appears to be a Duncan Phyfe STYLE table.

The person, Duncan Phyfe, was alive from the the late 1700s through the mid 1800s. From everything I have read and studied about his works--things HE actually created, today are only found in museums.

If one was in "the wild" it would be a true amazing and rare find. I won't say it can't happen--stranger things have happened--but the chances are very small that he was the creator of your lovely table.

The style that DF perfected is timeless and has been copied by just about every furniture maker out there--old and new.

The numbers you posted mean nothing to me for the make, but do tell me that it could NOT be a real DF piece--they didn't stamp pieces like that in the 1700s-1800s). Marks would have either been hand done or a branded type mark (fire/heat mark).

My best guess-- I would need much better photos to give you more info--is you have a 1940s table.

If you can post some clear full view photos of the entire piece and the entire underside, I may be able to give you more info and help you value it if that is your goal.

Looking forward to learning more!! Thanks for sharing!

I found this unique table and cannot find one picture or information anywhere on the internet to give me a clue on year, name, style, anything! It's 27 high so I think too high for a coffee table, a bit too low for a desk. Can anyone give me a clue?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Look on the back, underneath and in the drawer for a plaque or marking. You could also take this picture to an antique dealer.

I have this old table. Can anyone tell me what it may, also its value? It is stamped with 01-09-22 and says Ligo made in Thailand.

Answers

Best Answer

This entire set sold for $65 in 2015. doerrauctions.hibid.com/.../

Best Answer

Ligo is still sold today and this site has what looks to be your same set for sale at a reduced price in the high $800s:

www.htcstores.com/ligo-products-5-piece-drop-leaf-parson...

Is yours new or newer? New and newer furniture is a lot like cars in that it depreciates the minute it is out of the store. Eventually it may come back in value when it becomes vintage.

If yours is new or newer, you can try to get 1/8 to 1/4 of current retail value which would be between $100 and $200.

Because they are still making this furniture style new, even if yours was a vintage set, the value would still be in that range.

Now there are lots of factors in selling furniture including supply and demand and where you are. A good furniture reseller in your town can give you an accurate bead on what the market is like where you are!

Post back with an update!

I'm trying to identify this table I found it at a yard sale and I thought it was cool. There are no markings of any kind that I can see. It just says made in China. Any help would be great.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally if the table is made in China and there are no other marking on the table it is not really worth much at all because it is a replica of the original table. Most inlaid tables like yours are not made in China but are make in other countries. In order to identify yours, it will be almost impossible because of the lack of information from the company that made this table.

Could it be a possible vintage French sofa console?

Any info would be appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

Neat lines to the piece. I always called this layout a console table or couch table.

French? I am not sure, the legs look like the saber style see #6 on this link:

www.thesprucecrafts.com/know-your-furniture-leg-styles-4053726

I think of that style as more of a Greek influence.

If you are so inclined to go to Google images, you may be able to learn more by looking for matches when you type in a description. That may also help you put a value on it if you are asking for info to get it ready for sale.

When valuing, you need to factor condition into the asking price.

Hope this gets you started!

My father passed away and I was left with random pieces of furniture. He loved to hunt for antiques and bargains so I'm not sure if this is of any value. It is not in great condition and I was going to post it locally as "free", but wanted some advice before I do that.

Thank you!!

Answers

Best Answer

There are lots of products available to remove scratches from furniture. There's also ways to remove scratches using products you probably have at home. For ideas you can go to yourhouseandgarden.com/how-to-remove-scratches-from-wood-furniture/
If you removed some of the scratches, you could probably easily sell the table. You can get pricing ideas by looking at vintage jewelry tables on eBay.

I was given this table in Illinois where the population is highly German. The wood has never been treated or stained and is extremely dirty. It had been sitting in an abandoned house and was being thrown away when I saw it. It has no signature marks, the bottom of the drawer is missing as are the knobs and lock. Before I do anything to it I was hoping someone would have some info.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Hi,

This piece reminds me of the style of furniture called William and Mary. If it is, it is very old. I like how it has stood, all these years, in one piece!

This is so beautiful!

Blessings,

Robyn

Can you tell me what year this was made? It is stamped Mersman 8104. I bought it at a yard sale and I'm just curious?

Thank you.

My parents have it since the 60s. How can I find information on it?

A small carved vintage table.

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureFebruary 25, 2020
🌻
🍀
🐰