Identifying an Antique Table

Category Antiques
Identifying an antique or vintage table that you have either inherited or found in a shop or at a yard sale, can sometimes prove difficult. This is a guide about identifying an antique table.

This is a guide about finding the value of an antique folding table. You can make some interesting and possibly valuable finds at thrift and resale stores. The harder part comes after you get your treasure home and try to identify and ascertain its value.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone help me identify this style of leg or possible age range? It is on an old library or trestle desk/table.

The table has two drawers hidden on the table ends. It is solid oak and built with dowels, old style nails, and staples.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

this definitely a 19th century/Victorian affectation, what with the clawfoot and the Ionic column at the top of the leg, with bespeaks a return to neoclassical aesthetics.

In particular the clawfoot was popular during what's known as the 'Queen Anne' era: "Many of the antique claw foot tables of the Queen Anne era, which lasted from approximately 1725-1755, stood on gracefully curved, slender cabriole legs. "antiques.lovetoknow.com/Clawfoot_Antique_Table

but if I had to guess, via a hint from the previous article, I think this table is more in the American Empire style of the 1800's en.wikipedia.org/.../American_Empire_style

"With the turn of the century, furniture designs reflected the return to neoclassical styles. American Empire style tables stood on flared legs often terminating in the clawed feet of lions and eagles."

I just bought this antique mid century coffee table and I'm curious about the function of the side with the little cubbyhole. Have you ever seen this before or was it something custom made?

Answers

It may keep papers from flying away.

Some people like to store papers or magazines in places like this to keep them off the table. I would say it was made for this purpose.

My grandpa would use his to hide his TV Guide and glasses :)

Very unusual table - not just the drawer but the "handles" on each end.

• You may be able to tell more by looking at the joints but if it is "handmade" it appears to have been done by an experienced carpenter/finisher.
  • It appears that you are redoing the finish - new varnish?
  • Sometimes the colors will be darker in places/spots on older wood if the old varnish is not completely removed. And - occasionally it will not dry well and may remain "sticky".
  • Hope your interesting table turns out great.
  • I believe it must have been made for a specific purpose as the "handles" on each end indicate it was made so the owner/user could move the table from place to place.
  • Sorry that I cannot provide any real evidence as to the type of table or who might have made it, other than the fact that it appears to be in the normal shape of the average coffee table.
  • Ad

• You might want to ask for a free appraisal from one of the companies on this link. Remember to check as not everything is free just because it states that.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

I am looking for history/manufacture on an old wooden table. It has markings on back - 2318OMB WA.

Answers

It is hard to tell without a picture.

Can you post a picture? If so, I can see if I can get you more info. Thanks!

Could you please tell me what this table would have been used for? It almost looks to me like it's some kind of a library table where you could stack books in there, but I just can't really imagine.

Answers

It looks like a table that several people could do their work or studying in.