Identifying an Antique Table

A large mahogany dining table with 8 chairs.I have not been able to identify the origins of this mahogany dining table. It is oval with twin pedestals in the form of 3 feathers. Limited markings order the table top. 4 photos. Please help.

The marking on the underside of a dining table.

Ornate legs holding up the dining table.

The feet of a dining room table.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

This might be an impossible task for any of us to help you with. Your table does not have a manufacturing label or name on it so it makes it even harder for one of us to identify this table.

A lot of furniture that is labeled with the 4 to 6 digits are often date codes of when the piece was made. This is a furniture forum where a lot of people go to ask the same exact question you are asking now. Please read some of the answers here because they are very helpful to you. A lot of furniture like this can't be identified according to the comments here. Some piece after along searching and identifying some of the design can be narrowed down a bit but a lot of people never find the answers they ware looking for.

designaddict.com/.../

If you want to know more bout this maybe you can speak with an antique dealer in your area. They might have a bit more knowledge than the people here tod and could help you narrow down the time, era, and maybe the company who made this. With out knowing more about this and just having the number I am running into the same issues as so many people are when they want to identify a piece of furniture like this.

Answer this Question

37 More Questions

Thank you in advance! I inherited this oak table and chairs. Supposedly they are a couple of hundred years old from Germany. I intend to sell it so I am looking for information about it ie: could it be from Germany, how old is it and approximate value.

Thank you.

Identifying an Antique Dining Table and Chairs? - table and 5 chairs, one without the seat

Identifying an Antique Dining Table and Chairs?

Answers

Best Answer

In your case, this one is very hard to determine and you should actually seek help from an antique dealer in your area. Your area will determine the real value of this table and chairs. The dealer can help you to identify this table and tell you who actually made it. They will also know the real value of this item where you live.

In some parts of the US, this time of furniture sells for quite a bit of money wherein other parts sell for almost nothing at all. If you really want to sell the table and chairs and need to learn more about it the best place is with an antique dealer in your area.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Information on this type of furniture will probably have to come from an expert but another member, Pghgirl, is very knowledgeable about types and circa so maybe she will be able to supply at least some of what you are looking for.
Watch for her answer later.

I can only say that I would take a few more pictures; especially of the underneath of table and chairs, and try to see if you can get an appraisal.

There are several sites that offer free appraisals so you might try several of these to see if have any information about your set.
You should supply any,even small, amount of information you know about the set: who did you inherit it from - where did they live in their early life - did they immigrate from another county - who supplied the information about this set being over 200 years old where did they get that information - where is the set presently located - measurements of table - is it a solid top or does it have a leaf or drop down.
Since you do not have a brand name the more information and pictures you provide the better information you will receive.
This will be time consuming but hopefully you will gleam a little information from any appraiser who feels you have a valuable set.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

instappraisal.com/

This site charges $19-20.

mearto.com/

This site charges $20.

www.valuemystuff.com/.../pricing

According to the size of city where you are located, you may be able to find auction houses and dome of these have what is called 'appraisal day' so look into this to see if you have something like this.

Sometimes an antique dealer will offer information but be careful and do your research before selling to anyone.

Answer this Question

Can anyone tell me what style of table this is? Period, age?

Identifying a Side Table - rectangular table with rounded corners, routed edge and legs, with brass feet caps

Identifying a Side Table

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

It is a Duncan Phyfe STYLE table (NOT an actual DF piece as most of those are in museum).

It is most likely from the 1940s, based on the feet.

There is a slight chance it is a 1970s re-pro piece (it would need looked at in person by an expert who can see the construction and feel the heft of the piece).

Many brands made these and often when you see people selling them they just call them a Duncan Phyfe Side Table.

If you are looking to sell it, I can try to help you value it. I can tell you furniture values are regional, so it would be general guidance. If you want something specific, I suggest asking around to vintage re-sellers in your town (shops) and asking how much it would cost to buy the piece in their shop.

That will give you retails for your town. If you, as a person, are selling it, you will get less than retail, but it can give you a good starting point.

Post back with an update!

Best Answer

Looks like a nice all around side table.
The claw feet would generally date it to the 40's but as Pghgirl stated it could be a later model just fashioned after the original Duncan Phyfe style.
It is particularly nice because it has the double stand where the majority of these tables only have the center stand with 3 to 4 legs.

Be sure you have checked all areas on the underside for any markings or even numbers.
If you decide to show pictures to someone when asking for information be sure to show pictures of the underside as this workmanship usually helps to date a table.

Answer this Question

Can anyone tell me if this table and chairs are old, I purchased for $100 to redo. I started and someone told me it looks old and possibly valuable.

I have found one marking where one of the seats came off but that's all.

An ornate wooden table.

An ornate wooden chair with a leather seat.

The bottom of a table.

A marking on the bottom of a chair.

Answers

Best Answer

It is what is often called Renaissance Henry II style furniture and it looks old, but I doubt it is 1500s old like the original versions. Maybe 1800s to 1900s. But the challenge is this style is often reproduced and it could be as new as the 1940s-1960s.

I believe the face on the back of the chair is the North Wind, which was as common theme on furniture in the 1800s, and again reproduced throughout history.

At $100 just for wood pieces alone, I think you got a bargain, however, if it turns out to be 1960s reproduction pieces that is about the going rate. 1940s pieces would fetch a little more.

Now if it truly is 1800s-1900s pieces, the value could increase significantly especially if the condition is as good as it appears to be.

The mark does not look familiar to me.

Are you in the US? I always thing of this style as European, and we don't see a lot of it in the US, but maybe it is we just don't see a lot of it in Pittsburgh!

I would take these to a reputable antique dealer (since they maybe e antique if not 1960s vintage) and see what they tell you.

Someone really needs to see them in person and verify the construction and the condition to help identify and value.

If it is a repro piece--have fun with the redo!!

Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question

Good day, I would be very interested to know about this 2-tier antique end round table. What was it made for and how old it is? Would you also be able to identify the kind of wood whether it is mahogany or walnut ?

And does it worth any value these days? I thank you in advance for your time to answer my questions.

A two-tier round wooden side table.

A two-tier round wooden table.

A two-tier round wooden table.

Information About 2-Tier Table?

Answer this Question

I bought this from a friend. It's been in her family for about 4 generations but she didn't know where it came from. I wanted to paint it but wanted to make sure it's not an antique or anything before I do. It's all wood (not heavy so I'm thinking pine) and no markings or signatures on it.

The hinges are rusted but still works. It's in really good shape. Is it worth anything? Is it an antique? Thank you.

A wooden coffee table.

A wooden coffee table.

The inside of a coffee table chest.

Opening a coffee table chest.

Answer this Question

Antique dining set I inherited. I had a friend of mine look at it and he says it is mahogany wood and there is stamps on some metal hinges that say "Brevets Vc Paris" and "E. C. D. G." The carving is very artistic and the hinge and sliding lock is pure quality. Table seats up to 12.

An ornately carved side to a dining room table.

Red seated dining chairs.

A dining set with red chairs.

The marking on an antique Paris dining set.

Answers

Best Answer

This is really a beautiful set and it should actually be looked at by a professional. I tried to find the company that has made this but the marking on the hinge is not helping me to identify this table at all. This could have been made in Paris by a furniture company but I am not finding any references to this at all. I would like to suggest that you consult an antique dealer in your area or even online to see if they can help you identify this set or give you some more information about it. I am not finding anything that is similar to this or even information about a company in Paris who has made a set like this in the past.

Answer this Question

Any idea what kind of table this is and the age? This has passed through a few family members. I am trying to find out its origin. The only markings I see are on the underside.

The number 1414 and then below that 15. I'm not sure where it was purchased into our family, but most likely in Michigan in the last 20 years.

A round table with spiral legs and small casters

Answers

Best Answer

Neat table. What do the screws look like? Barley twist leg tables were popular many times in history. It could be anywhere from the early 1900s to 1940s. Or a repro piece from 60s to when your family aquired it.

The wheels have a very 1940s vibe. The don't look, to me, original. I wonder if someone cut off a thick or more decorative foot to make it easier to move.

You will be best served by having a furniture dealer look at it, in person, so they can see and feel what I can't from a photo.

Furniture values are regional and are predicted on original vs altered condition. The top looks like there are some condition issues, but it needs to be seen in person to see if those can be removed or repaired without harming the piece.

They can confirm the wood also. Top looks like oak, but legs don't.

Barley twist is popular in many places! That is a plus! Do you have chairs that match?

Post back what you learn!

Best Answer

After looking at close up pictures, I'm also of the opinion this may be a 'put-together' table. The wheels are a mystery.

It would be nice if there was a local antique shop nearby that might could give you information but that is not always the case and not too many people are very interested in doing things like that for free.

You might try placing it on this site and see what they can tell you. You will need several good pictures - full table, top, edges, legs, underneath (several to show the workmanship) and measurements.
You will need to state any history and also your location.
I think they can help you and it is free.

instappraisal.com/

Answer this Question

Can anyone help me identify this style of leg or possible age range? It is on an old library or trestle desk/table.

The table has two drawers hidden on the table ends.

It is solid oak and built with dowels, old style nails, and staples.Identifying the Leg Style on a Library Table - dark wood, heavy trestle table legs, with lion feet

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Identifying the Leg Style on a Library Table

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 107 Posts
Best Answer

this definitely a 19th century/Victorian affectation, what with the clawfoot and the Ionic column at the top of the leg, with bespeaks a return to neoclassical aesthetics.

In particular the clawfoot was popular during what's known as the 'Queen Anne' era: "Many of the antique claw foot tables of the Queen Anne era, which lasted from approximately 1725-1755, stood on gracefully curved, slender cabriole legs. "antiques.lovetoknow.com/Clawfoot_Antique_Table

but if I had to guess, via a hint from the previous article, I think this table is more in the American Empire style of the 1800's en.wikipedia.org/.../American_Empire_style

"With the turn of the century, furniture designs reflected the return to neoclassical styles. American Empire style tables stood on flared legs often terminating in the clawed feet of lions and eagles."

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 18, 2018
🐛
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-an-Antique-Table-1.html