Identifying an Antique Table

Category Antiques
Identifying an antique or vintage table that you have either inherited or found in a shop or at a yard sale, can sometimes prove difficult. This is a guide about identifying an antique table.

This is a guide about finding the value of an antique folding table. You can make some interesting and possibly valuable finds at thrift and resale stores. The harder part comes after you get your treasure home and try to identify and ascertain its value.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone help me identify this style of leg or possible age range? It is on an old library or trestle desk/table.

The table has two drawers hidden on the table ends. It is solid oak and built with dowels, old style nails, and staples.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

this definitely a 19th century/Victorian affectation, what with the clawfoot and the Ionic column at the top of the leg, with bespeaks a return to neoclassical aesthetics.

In particular the clawfoot was popular during what's known as the 'Queen Anne' era: "Many of the antique claw foot tables of the Queen Anne era, which lasted from approximately 1725-1755, stood on gracefully curved, slender cabriole legs. "antiques.lovetoknow.com/Clawfoot_Antique_Table

but if I had to guess, via a hint from the previous article, I think this table is more in the American Empire style of the 1800's en.wikipedia.org/.../American_Empire_style

"With the turn of the century, furniture designs reflected the return to neoclassical styles. American Empire style tables stood on flared legs often terminating in the clawed feet of lions and eagles."

I acquired this gorgeous table at an estate sale, but cannot seem to locate images online to identify the design style/period. It appears to be a library table? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

You would have better luck identifying your table if you could find out who manufactured it. Look underneath for markings. This table could be old, or could be a reproduction that was made fairly recently.

It is hard to tell from the photo if this is a true gothic/renaissance Revival piece, which would be from around the 1850s to 1800's or if it is a reproduction piece.

It is stunning!!

If it is a real piece, it could be quite valuable.

You could try to search Google Images for a matching, piece, but I am doubting you will find one.

You would be best served getting information from the estate sale company you purchased it from or if they are not knowledgeable, a real antique dealer may be able to help you learn more about it.

I tend to agree it is a library table. It is fascinating!!

Please post back if learn more from an antique dealer! Thanks for sharing it!! VERY COOL!!!

Will check for markings....Thank you!

The table is from a private estate but I might be able to pose additional questions to the family; I will also find a local antique dealer.

Yes, the pics don't do this table justice......it is in excellent condition!

Will update when I receive additional information!

Thanks for your help!

dk

This certainly is a fine looking table.
Difficult to determine the size - looks like a library table.
Library tables are usually about 22" - 36" but I have seen some measuring 40" and still called library tables.

• I found several similar tables but all of them have what is called "dolphin feet" but I still think they are close in age. Check out the links just for kicks:
  • www.ebay.com/.../292729111081?hash=item442803c229...
  • www.ebay.com/.../352538452494?hash=item5214ede20e...
  • Most of this style tables never had markings (brands) and appraisers have to rely on gained knowledge when appraising this period of furniture.
  • Hopefully you have a knowledgeable person in your area that can tell you about your table but if an appraiser has to pay a visit to appraise it, the cost may be high.
  • Ad

• I would suggest you have an online appraisal so you will at least know something before venturing out to find an antique store.
  • Table real or reproduction? May have to be seen in person for that information but if you provide several very photos (and dimensions) to an online appraiser they may be able to tell or at least advise you on how to find out.
  • I always recommend Barneby's as I have personally had very good results in the past but they do charge $17 for this service. Of course, I cannot guarantee they will tell you everything you would like to know.
  • Here is a link in case you are interested.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

thank you for the great information!

Can anyone help me? I inherited this, and I really don't know what I have. I know the leaves slide out and that the chairs have been reupholstered.

Answers

The trestle table is in good condition. Look on the bottom of the table and leaves for identifying marking. I dont think the chairs and the table were a set originally

This is a gorgeous table...I call it a FIXED trestle because (and this is just how I understand it--I am NOT an antique dealer or expert, but LOVE old pieces). A true trestle table the bar (trestle) was designed to come out so the table could easily be moved. When people started staying put more (less nomadic I guess), it was better stability to "fix" the trestle so you could not take it out--it was kind of a sign of prestige and told the world that you were "stable" and ensconced in a home of your own.

That all said, in many places in the US these still have value to them, especially if they are in as nice a shape as yours and even if it is not a true antique (over 100 years old), it still may have value if you were going to sell it.

A true antique, solid oak trestle table--fixed or non fixed trestle--can fetch big bucks in the right market (like an auction or high end antique store), of course it depends on size and condition and yours appears to be in nice shape, although on the smaller side.

You said there are leaves for this? Do they pop up on the ends? Fixed trestle tables (unless my memory is really totally gone) usually do not have leaves that pop in the middle, because the trestle is fixed and doesn't spread to allow the table to be enlarged). Some have self stored leaves that extend from each end.

There should be markings on the table--underneath or maybe where the leaves come out.

Markings (brand) will help value it and the company had a logical numbering system could perhaps give you the age.

Other things to help you determine the age are to look at things like the mechanics for the leaves, how the legs are attached to the underside (carved out--super rare or screwed in--and what kind of screws and plates).

A good antique dealer should be able to help you ID and value it, especially if you are thinking of selling it.

The chairs are interesting, and it is hard to tell if they are original to the table. The photo and lighting make it hard to tell if the wood matches.

Chair values are tricky if they are NOT part of the original set. Where I am most wood dining chairs are valueless, which I find quite sad. There are just too many of them. Now there are a few brands (like Statton and Pennsylvania house) that still have value, but like everything condition is everything when valuing.

Chairs are typically marked on the underside also. If they have been recovered as you say, the markings may be under the upholstery--which you do not want to remove to find if someone covered the bottoms along with the tops (why people do that is beyond me, but I have seen it done).

Post back what you learn and if you are going to sell it, what you fetch for it.

Thank you all so much! There are leaves. The table top actually sits on them, and they slide out, allowing the top to sit between them. I dont see any markings. Here are a few more pictures.

Wow!! Thanks for the additional photos! I hope an good antique store can give you value and more info. This is a stunning piece!! My gut says it is going to be valuable for you. I hope I am right!!

I just bought this antique mid century coffee table and I'm curious about the function of the side with the little cubbyhole. Have you ever seen this before or was it something custom made?

Answers

It may keep papers from flying away.

Some people like to store papers or magazines in places like this to keep them off the table. I would say it was made for this purpose.

My grandpa would use his to hide his TV Guide and glasses :)

Very unusual table - not just the drawer but the "handles" on each end.

• You may be able to tell more by looking at the joints but if it is "handmade" it appears to have been done by an experienced carpenter/finisher.
  • It appears that you are redoing the finish - new varnish?
  • Sometimes the colors will be darker in places/spots on older wood if the old varnish is not completely removed. And - occasionally it will not dry well and may remain "sticky".
  • Hope your interesting table turns out great.
  • I believe it must have been made for a specific purpose as the "handles" on each end indicate it was made so the owner/user could move the table from place to place.
  • Sorry that I cannot provide any real evidence as to the type of table or who might have made it, other than the fact that it appears to be in the normal shape of the average coffee table.
  • You might want to ask for a free appraisal from one of the companies on this link. Remember to check as not everything is free just because it states that.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

I am looking for history/manufacture on an old wooden table. It has markings on back - 2318OMB WA.

Answers

It is hard to tell without a picture.

Can you post a picture? If so, I can see if I can get you more info. Thanks!

Could you please tell me what this table would have been used for? It almost looks to me like it's some kind of a library table where you could stack books in there, but I just can't really imagine.

Answers

It looks like a table that several people could do their work or studying in.