Identifying an Antique Table

Category Antiques
Identifying an antique or vintage table that you have either inherited or found in a shop or at a yard sale, can sometimes prove difficult. This is a page about identifying an antique table.

Can anyone help me identify this style of leg or possible age range? It is on an old library or trestle desk/table.

The table has two drawers hidden on the table ends. It is solid oak and built with dowels, old style nails, and staples.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

this definitely a 19th century/Victorian affectation, what with the clawfoot and the Ionic column at the top of the leg, with bespeaks a return to neoclassical aesthetics.

In particular the clawfoot was popular during what's known as the 'Queen Anne' era: "Many of the antique claw foot tables of the Queen Anne era, which lasted from approximately 1725-1755, stood on gracefully curved, slender cabriole legs. "antiques.lovetoknow.com/Clawfoot_Antique_Table

but if I had to guess, via a hint from the previous article, I think this table is more in the American Empire style of the 1800's en.wikipedia.org/.../American_Empire_style

"With the turn of the century, furniture designs reflected the return to neoclassical styles. American Empire style tables stood on flared legs often terminating in the clawed feet of lions and eagles."

I wanted a wooden table for my kitchen and I found this for 15 dollars. I love it. I'd like to know more about it. There is no tag or maker info. Just a number underneath.

TIA

Answers

This is a great find. It is a drop leaf table. I dont know more about it, but I do know you got your moneys worth.

I acquired this gorgeous table at an estate sale, but cannot seem to locate images online to identify the design style/period. It appears to be a library table? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

You would have better luck identifying your table if you could find out who manufactured it. Look underneath for markings. This table could be old, or could be a reproduction that was made fairly recently.

It is hard to tell from the photo if this is a true gothic/renaissance Revival piece, which would be from around the 1850s to 1800's or if it is a reproduction piece.

It is stunning!!

If it is a real piece, it could be quite valuable.

You could try to search Google Images for a matching, piece, but I am doubting you will find one.

You would be best served getting information from the estate sale company you purchased it from or if they are not knowledgeable, a real antique dealer may be able to help you learn more about it.

I tend to agree it is a library table. It is fascinating!!

Please post back if learn more from an antique dealer! Thanks for sharing it!! VERY COOL!!!

Will check for markings....Thank you!

The table is from a private estate but I might be able to pose additional questions to the family; I will also find a local antique dealer.

Yes, the pics don't do this table justice......it is in excellent condition!

Will update when I receive additional information!

Thanks for your help!
dk

This certainly is a fine looking table.
Difficult to determine the size - looks like a library table.
Library tables are usually about 22" - 36" but I have seen some measuring 40" and still called library tables.

• I found several similar tables but all of them have what is called "dolphin feet" but I still think they are close in age. Check out the links just for kicks:
  • www.ebay.com/.../292729111081?hash=item442803c229...
  • www.ebay.com/.../352538452494?hash=item5214ede20e...
  • Most of this style tables never had markings (brands) and appraisers have to rely on gained knowledge when appraising this period of furniture.
  • Hopefully you have a knowledgeable person in your area that can tell you about your table but if an appraiser has to pay a visit to appraise it, the cost may be high.
  • I would suggest you have an online appraisal so you will at least know something before venturing out to find an antique store.
  • Table real or reproduction? May have to be seen in person for that information but if you provide several very photos (and dimensions) to an online appraiser they may be able to tell or at least advise you on how to find out.
  • I always recommend Barneby's as I have personally had very good results in the past but they do charge $17 for this service. Of course, I cannot guarantee they will tell you everything you would like to know.
  • Here is a link in case you are interested.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

thank you for the great information!

My dad got this at a local thrift store for 20 bucks. I've been scrolling for hours trying to find more information about the age? There are no maker marks. It's oval when the leaves are up. Dining table size. Any information would be wonderful.

My parents purchased this table 70 years ago from an estate sale. Please help me identify and determine market price.

Can anyone help me? I inherited this, and I really don't know what I have. I know the leaves slide out and that the chairs have been reupholstered.

Answers

The trestle table is in good condition. Look on the bottom of the table and leaves for identifying marking. I dont think the chairs and the table were a set originally

I just bought this antique mid century coffee table and I'm curious about the function of the side with the little cubbyhole. Have you ever seen this before or was it something custom made?

Answers

It may keep papers from flying away.

Some people like to store papers or magazines in places like this to keep them off the table. I would say it was made for this purpose.

My grandpa would use his to hide his TV Guide and glasses :)

Very unusual table - not just the drawer but the "handles" on each end.

• You may be able to tell more by looking at the joints but if it is "handmade" it appears to have been done by an experienced carpenter/finisher.
  • It appears that you are redoing the finish - new varnish?
  • Sometimes the colors will be darker in places/spots on older wood if the old varnish is not completely removed. And - occasionally it will not dry well and may remain "sticky".
  • Hope your interesting table turns out great.
  • I believe it must have been made for a specific purpose as the "handles" on each end indicate it was made so the owner/user could move the table from place to place.
  • Sorry that I cannot provide any real evidence as to the type of table or who might have made it, other than the fact that it appears to be in the normal shape of the average coffee table.
  • You might want to ask for a free appraisal from one of the companies on this link. Remember to check as not everything is free just because it states that.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

I need help identifying this table, including who made it and when. It used to have a 1 inch badge on it, but is missing. It flips up to open and slides to expand.

I inherited this old table. Can anyone help me id it and determine a value? I have more pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone identify these tables? They are very heavy and have a curtain-like design carved into the wood. They are handmade according to the dovetails on the drawers. I would appreciate any help with identifying these tables.
Thank you!

I am looking for history/manufacture on an old wooden table. It has markings on back - 2318OMB WA.

Answers

It is hard to tell without a picture.

Can you post a picture? If so, I can see if I can get you more info. Thanks!

I haven't been able to find any information on these types of antique turned balusters. I'm thinking this is a early 16th century Dutch double drop leaf, gate legged, trestle tea table. Could someone please help identify?

I just bought this at a thrift store and can't find anything like it on the internet. It is wrought iron, kidney shaped, and has a marble top. Anybody know anything about this cool little table? It has handles too.

Could you please tell me what this table would have been used for? It almost looks to me like it's some kind of a library table where you could stack books in there, but I just can't really imagine.

Answers

It looks like a table that several people could do their work or studying in.

This is a page about finding the value of an antique folding table. You can make some interesting and possibly valuable finds at thrift and resale stores. The harder part comes after you get your treasure home and try to identify and ascertain its value.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 18, 2018
🎃
🎂
🌻