Identifying Antique Furniture

Category Antiques
Antique Chair
Whether you have inherited a piece of antique furniture or enjoy antique shopping, it can sometimes be difficult to identify a particular piece, including even its original intended usage. This is a guide about identifying antique furniture.

I have this table. I have been looking at side tables, stretcher, library, and sofa. I can't find it or anything about it. Could someone please help with identifying this as it is driving me mad. I have looked at thousands.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If you have historical residences in your area the docents will be well versed in furniture styles and types. You might also want to send a pic to some national sites such as Mount Vernon. If your library system has a history collection there might be one of these tables around some place and the docents will know what it is.

I know nothing about it, but it's beautiful, and I hope you don't do anything hideous to it, like painting it, or taking it apart to make something else out of it. It breaks my heart to see some of the awful things people do to nice furniture on some of the DIY sites.

Sorry, I know nothing either but agree with Pixiedust - it's beautiful.

Marg from England.

The table is beautiful and I recently had a similar issue with a table in my house. I really just searched through pics to find my answer. The tables I found most similar to yours were when I searched "antique Victorian rosewood side table". Hope this helps!

Does anyone know what this piece of furniture was used for and the era it came from?

By B Smith

I assume the glass doors lift up?

It almost looks like something you could roll around and serve desserts from like for a nursing home? That is all I could think of. I hope that helps.

It might be a book case...can't really tell. Maybe from a law office?

I'm with Halfwit - this looks like a homemade 'barrister's bookcase'. If it is, the lift-up doors should slide into the upper part of the case so the attorney could easily access a specific section of his personal law library whilst preparing a case:

http://www.home  rister-bookcase/

As for era, it looks to be a fairly modern construction of salvaged parts from various eras anywhere from late 19th to mid-20th century. I say this because of the modern looking fixings on the glass (?) - if the doors are the plexiglass they look in the photo, that is also a clue to date of creation.

Does the glass lift out and slide on the top? It looks very much like the book shelves made in late 1800's.

I have a piece a furniture and I am trying to figure out what it is and what it would be worth. Can anyone help me with this? I think it is a china cabinet. I have no idea what year it would be from.

By Teriborch from Chicago, IL

I think is is beautiful, wish it was mine. ;)

I beleve it is a European Shrunk, most likely

German or Bavarian. They used this type of

over sized storage instead of cabinets or closets.

My great aunt had a dining room set complete with china cabinet. This one in the picture is a duplicate of what she had. All I know is that its from the 1920s. Hope this helps.