Identifying Antique Furniture

Category Antiques
Whether you have inherited a piece of antique furniture or enjoy antique shopping, it can sometimes be difficult to identify a particular piece, including even its original intended usage. This is a guide about identifying antique furniture.

Identifying an antique or vintage table that you have either inherited or found in a shop or at a yard sale, can sometimes prove difficult. This is a guide about identifying an antique table.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Identifying the manufacturer and value of furniture that you inherit or stumble across at antique stores and yard sales can sometimes be a challenge. This is a guide about identifying a coffee table.

I have this table. I have been looking at side tables, stretcher, library, and sofa. I can't find it or anything about it.

Could someone please help with identifying this as it is driving me mad. I have looked at thousands.

Answers

If you have historical residences in your area the docents will be well versed in furniture styles and types. You might also want to send a pic to some national sites such as Mount Vernon.

If your library system has a history collection there might be one of these tables around some place and the docents will know what it is.

I know nothing about it, but it's beautiful, and I hope you don't do anything hideous to it, like painting it, or taking it apart to make something else out of it. It breaks my heart to see some of the awful things people do to nice furniture on some of the DIY sites.

Sorry, I know nothing either but agree with Pixiedust - it's beautiful.
Marg from England.

The table is beautiful and I recently had a similar issue with a table in my house. I really just searched through pics to find my answer.

The tables I found most similar to yours were when I searched "antique Victorian rosewood side table". Hope this helps!

I found this unique table and cannot find one picture or information anywhere on the internet to give me a clue on year, name, style, anything! It's 27 high so I think too high for a coffee table, a bit too low for a desk. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks.

Answers

Look on the back, underneath and in the drawer for a plaque or marking. You could also take this picture to an antique dealer.

Does anyone know what this piece of furniture was used for and the era it came from?

By B Smith

Answers

I assume the glass doors lift up?

It almost looks like something you could roll around and serve desserts from like for a nursing home? That is all I could think of. I hope that helps.

It might be a book case...can't really tell. Maybe from a law office?

I'm with Halfwit - this looks like a homemade 'barrister's bookcase'. If it is, the lift-up doors should slide into the upper part of the case so the attorney could easily access a specific section of his personal law library whilst preparing a case:

http://www.home … rister-bookcase/

As for era, it looks to be a fairly modern construction of salvaged parts from various eras anywhere from late 19th to mid-20th century. I say this because of the modern looking fixings on the glass (?) - if the doors are the plexiglass they look in the photo, that is also a clue to date of creation.

Does the glass lift out and slide on the top? It looks very much like the book shelves made in late 1800's.

I have a theory about this oak Chippendale style wingback armchair being Irish (because of Celtic knot carvings) and from around 1880. Am I wrong ? Can you tell me more about it?

Answers

You need to know the manufacturer of the chair. Turn it over to see who makes it.

Finding the worth of a chair.

Step 1
First you need to find any marks on the chair it should have the manufacturer name on it.

Step 2
Then go to E-Bay and describe your chair and they will e-mail you when one comes on.

Old chair. No names. I'm not interested in value. I'm keeping it for now.

I got today this child's chair at an estate sale. It's painted over so I can't find anything on it.

Answers

Take a magnifying glass and look on the bottom and back of the chair for some markings. It will be very difficult to identify if there are no markings

I used to have a chair just like this and I think I remember the markings were written on and not etched in. Sorry :(

I have a piece a furniture and I am trying to figure out what it is and what it would be worth. Can anyone help me with this? I think it is a china cabinet. I have no idea what year it would be from.

By Teri from Chicago, IL

Answers

I think is is beautiful, wish it was mine. ;)
I beleve it is a European Shrunk, most likely
German or Bavarian. They used this type of
over sized storage instead of cabinets or closets.

My great aunt had a dining room set complete with china cabinet. This one in the picture is a duplicate of what she had. All I know is that its from the 1920s. Hope this helps.

I just bought this desk and I'm considering refinishing it. I'd like to find the value of it before I do though. I would rather not diminish the value by painting it. It's in almost perfect condition. Solid oak I think. It is 45 inches wide x 18 inches deep. I've looked in the drawers and on the back, but I can't find any identifying marks to indicate a year or a brand. Any thoughts?

Answers

Take the drawers out and look on the sides. The marking can also be on the bottom.

I am not sure exactly what this is and its age; can you tell me?

Answers

You need to look for a manufacturers mark on the bottom, back or inside a drawer. Once you have that, you can more easily determine the value.