Identifying an Antique Desk

Category Antiques
It can be difficult to identify vintage and antique furniture. Checking the bottom of the desk and of the drawers might reveal a manufacturer's stamp or seal. Scour the internet for similar pieces. Otherwise contact a dealer or appraiser. This is a guide about identifying an antique desk.

Does anyone know what type of desk this is or where it may have been made? I can't find any markings.

Answers

Best Answer

The picture is kinda dark but it sure looks like a really neat desk. You will probably have to ask an antique dealer or get an on-line appraisal.

• I have never seen a desk like this but it is possible there is something missing that would help identify it.
  • If you have any antique shops in your area you may be able to show them several photos and they might have something similar in one of their books.
  • Ad

• You can many times get free on-line appraisals and although they may not be accurate in the true value (what an item can bring in a sale) they can many times tell you something about the piece itself.
  • Here is a link that has several sites listed but many of them you will have to "log-on" to be able to seek a free appraisal. As far as I have gone it appears these are legitimate sites and give very good information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

Hopefully you will find out what type of desk you have so please reply or comment and let us know what you find out.

I just bought this desk and I'm considering refinishing it. I'd like to find the value of it before I do though. I would rather not diminish the value by painting it. It's in almost perfect condition.

Solid oak I think. It is 45 inches wide x 18 inches deep. I've looked in the drawers and on the back, but I can't find any identifying marks to indicate a year or a brand. Any thoughts?

Answers

Take the drawers out and look on the sides. The marking can also be on the bottom.