Identifying an Antique Desk

Category Antiques
It can be difficult to identify vintage and antique furniture. Checking the bottom of the desk and of the drawers might reveal a manufacturer's stamp or seal. Scour the internet for similar pieces. Otherwise contact a dealer or appraiser. This is a guide about identifying an antique desk.

Does anyone know what type of desk this is or where it may have been made? I can't find any markings.

Answers

Best Answer

The picture is kinda dark but it sure looks like a really neat desk. You will probably have to ask an antique dealer or get an on-line appraisal.

• I have never seen a desk like this but it is possible there is something missing that would help identify it.
  • If you have any antique shops in your area you may be able to show them several photos and they might have something similar in one of their books.
  • You can many times get free on-line appraisals and although they may not be accurate in the true value (what an item can bring in a sale) they can many times tell you something about the piece itself.
  • Ad

• Here is a link that has several sites listed but many of them you will have to "log-on" to be able to seek a free appraisal. As far as I have gone it appears these are legitimate sites and give very good information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

Hopefully you will find out what type of desk you have so please reply or comment and let us know what you find out.

Do you know anything about this desk? Such as the age and value?

Answers

I cant find the company, so it may be out of business. Your best bet is to bring the pictures to a dealer.

Hi Judy,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my guestion. Now I have another question. How do I find a dealer? Lynda

PS I live around Buffalo NY.

www.furniturecityhistory.org/.../colonial-manufacturing-co

Here's a link about the company, which was based in Michigan and closed in 1983.

If you get to the Smithsonian, they have some of their catalogs on file:

americanhistory.si.edu/.../SILNMAHTL_12186

You may be able to find an original ad for the item! That would be cool!

There are lots of Pinterest pages devoted to the comoany's secretary style writing tables, which is one of the names I have heard this style of desk called. The legs I call spinit style...like piano...I have heard some desks like this refered to as piano style because of how it opens.

You may want to sort thru the Pinterest pages to pin down the age of your piece, which is lovely, by the way. I adore this style desk!!

You have a neat find. Some of the pieces still have value, but not all. I don't see an exact match at the moment in eBay's sold section. If you check back often, you can get an idea of what the are valued at in today's market.

Thanks for sharing this sweet item!

There are quite a few of this style desk available so it is not rare and most were made during the approximate same era and most were mahogany.
This style is usually referred to as; spinet, writing or secretary desk.
Colonial Mfg. Company was only well known for making all kinds of expensive clocks and making side furniture was a very tiny portion of their business and most pieces were reproduced over and over until a small change was made that could still be produced with the same cuts and dies of the previous style piece.

If you are really interested in the company history, they produced several books that can still be purchased today or maybe downloaded for free.
Here is a 12 page (of 45 pages) link that describes their history but it is a very boring article unless you are really into the history of their clock manufacturing.

docs.nawcc.org/.../407_34_46.pdf

I just bought this desk and I'm considering refinishing it. I'd like to find the value of it before I do though. I would rather not diminish the value by painting it. It's in almost perfect condition. Solid oak I think. It is 45 inches wide x 18 inches deep. I've looked in the drawers and on the back, but I can't find any identifying marks to indicate a year or a brand. Any thoughts?

Answers

Take the drawers out and look on the sides. The marking can also be on the bottom.

there is an oak desk similar at antiquesworld.co.uk/.../
check it out to get an idea of value, it may help as it has very similar features to your desk.

Anonymous

I have one similar and know nothing. The ornateness is more on mine in the front yet sides and back are plain Jane. Mine is not in good shape as someone may have shallacked over the leather and the wood is extremely dried out. If you get more info on yours, I would love to know.

I have a Bayveiw Michigan writing desk with fold down front and middle drawer. It has the number 76 on it. The wood is reddish in color. How can I determine the value?

Answers

The best way to find the value is to locate an exact version of yours on either eBay or one of the furniture auctions and see what it SOLD for. Never use asking price to set a value. I can list something for a million dollars, but if someone only pays me $1 then that is today's value! That is the new wave of the market!!

Once you find a sold example, that will give you today's current market value. Not all are advertised with the number, so research an be time consuming as you have to match photos.

Be sure to search it as Bay View and bayview as I have seen them listed both ways. I have also seen them listed just by style--like spinet leg or spinet desk or ladies writing table. Get creative in your search and it will shorten the research time!

Without a picture, I can't only give you some samples of what is out there...

The ones I am giving you are UNSOLD, so you will have to watch them to see if they sell and for how much:

www.chairish.com/.../bay-view-furniture-co-antique-mahogany...

archive.knoxnews.com/.../joe-rosson-spinet-desk-likely-made...

This one has a number that isn't yours, but I am including it because it gives some good info about the company:

Worthpoint has one that sold, but i recently learned they changed their rules and I am not able to pay for their membership at the moment...if you know someone who has one, this one was actually sold, but you have to join and pay now to get the particulars (GRRR):

www.worthpoint.com/.../antique-mahognay-ladies-writing-desk...

These are neat pieces and some have held their value. Condition is everything with these, so if yours is in good shape, it will fetch more than one that has been well loved.

You are also probably best to sell it through a trusted vintage furniture dealer as if it is one of the more valuable ones, people on the Facebook or other sites may want to scam you with payment and you don't need that.

Post back what you learn and a photo if you are so inclined.

A similar desk was reduced to $540 and did not sell yet.www.chairish.com/.../bay-view-furniture-co-antique-mahogany...