Old Desk with Drawers and Removable Top?

Old Desk with Drawers and Removable Top?This desk was in my parents house for as long as I can remember. They lived there for over 60 years. I don't know the history. What is this type of desk called and is it worth anything? The left pedestal has one drawer with a "secret" space in the back. The lower part of that side is a cabinet. The right pedestal has 4 drawers and a pull out board. The top is removable and in 2 sections. Maybe 4 foot wide by 3 foot deep by 3 foot high.

Remvoing the top of the desk.

Pullout sides to the desk

The disassembled desk.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

You have an Edwardian style, double pedestal, keyhole style desk. Not sure exact vintage... would need to see it in person to get a better idea.

Are you asking to value it?

Yes, I was hoping to get a value for it. I was considering selling it, but I've decided instead to take it to my own home and use it...moved some other stuff around and after I dust it off a bit, I'm going to use it as my own desk.

That is great that you plan to use it! Enjoy it in much good health!!

If you do decide to sell it in the future, this is one one of those pieces that really needs to be seen by someone who knows furniture and can look at the construction and condition and who can value things for your market. That way you will know if you have a $25 desk or a $2500 version. The things that factor into value are age, condition, and supply and demand for your location.

It looks like there are brass keyholes for the drawers. Do you have the keys? If so, that will add to the value!

Don't use a lot of cleaners (like avoid things like Pledge or spray cleaners) on it to keep it in good shape. Just a good dusting and if it gets grimy, a very small drop of Murphy's Oil soap for a good wipe down. Also be sure to use a coaster to protect from beverage moisture or heat rings.

Enjoy it!! Thanks for sharing!

I don't think there are keys. Thank you for the hints to protect the surface. There isn't a label or manufacture listed anywhere so no help there to know where it came from

That is a shame no keys. If you do decide to sell it, perhaps you could talk to a locksmith to see about cost to get them made.

Not having a maker is common. Often things had paper tags (like during war time when metal was hard to get) and they fell off.

It is also possible it was a custom piece by a good woodworker. Someone who could see it could look at the joinery and help you determine machine or hand made. It is a great piece!!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureJuly 11, 2021
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Old-Desk-with-Drawers-and-Removable-Top.html