Value of a Vintage Zenith Console Stereo System

Spinning vinyl records in an old stereo cabinet can be great. Determining the worth of a working record player and radio in a cabinet may require some research. This is a page about value of a vintage zenith console stereo system.

I'm wondering what the value of this stereo system would be? It's a Zenith, but I couldn't find a model #.

Answers

Best Answer

So I have been looking to find you an exact match since you posted and none have come up, so I apologize for the delay.

The only way to know the exact market value is to find the exact one sold online...either eBay or one of the other big websites like Worthpoint.

What I can tell you is the sleaker line models (commonly referred to as the Mid Century Modern (MCM) styles of cases are those that fetch the most online.

The bulkier versions like yours, fetch less. So the MCM ones get into the high $200s, even $300s, and the bulkier ones get into under $100 range, at least where I am.

Something else I know is that these things often sell better pieced up...meaning take it apart and sell off all the working pieces and the case separately. It seems weird, but look at the going prices for parts for these things:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

This is because people that love them, have them and want to keep them going and want real parts.

Sorry to have taken such a long time to respond...I wanted to get you better info, but sadly there have not been any exact ones to give you the exact market value as is!

I have a Zenith sterophonic high fidelity phonograph with AM stereo FM tuner. Everything works. It sounds great. Any idea what something like this is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

I saw something similar on eBay not long ago. They were asking $225. I do not know if it sold.

Model GA50-12
Chassis 18YT20
.35A 120v 60CY
601C06
This is all the info on the back of the stereo. I was wondering if I could get an estimate on how much it would sell for today.

It was given to me so I do not know much about it.

Answers

These are truly all over the price in value. One just sold in Missouri for almost $700 (this was on eBay) and yet in other parts of the country they sell for $70 (also on eBay and other online venues). You will see solds up and down in that range depending on where you are and the supply and demand for the piece.

Also affecting value is the huge variety of variables...like does it all work, do you have the books that go with it, does it have all original parts, what shape is the wood in, does it smell like cigarettes or cats or have any smell?

Because this model (the wood case) is MCM (mid century modern) which is hot at the moment...but is starting to wane ...my advice would be to sell now! If you wait, the market will continue to decrease and it will be harder to sell.

Talk to people (vintage dealers in your town) and get an idea of what they sell for in resale shops. This will be "retail" value. Then you will have a starting point for yours.

You will NOT get retail if you sell on your own, but knowing the number will help you set your price and negotiate with buyers if you choose to go that route (which I do not recommend--see below).

Even better for you is to see if one of the shops you talk to will either buy it outright or consign it for you. These are very hard to sell if you are not an experienced seller. I am an experienced re-seller and I always divert these sales to a store or expert. It is easier! Usually no muss, no fuss, cash or check when it is done and it is out of the house until it sells! If you do it yourself you have to worry about people coming to your house, you have to worry about them having the cash to pay for it and having a way to get it to their house. People are challenging in this respect and often express interest, come without money, want to pay by check (NO THANKS), and then when they finally get the cash, they come to pick it up with a VW bug car. Yes, I am serious. It is not a fun process.

I hope you are in a high supply, high demand area and that all of the variables are positive ones for you and you fetch a good amount for it!

Post back what you decide and how your sale goes!

From what I have seen on ebay, the asking price is in the $225 range.

This is a large console and not too many people who might be interested in this piece have the extra room in their homes.
If you cannot confirm that it is working and the speakers have decent sound, I'm not sure you will be able to sell this for very much.

If you wish to sell it under the unknown working conditions you may not have any takers or not more than $25 and the big problem is pick up and delivery as this is a very heavy awkward piece of furniture.

I would suggest trying to find out if it is working and then try listing it on your local sites like Craigslist, Facebook groups/marketplace and describe it - working/non-working, scratches? - with a higher price and lower it if no one shows an interest.
You may be lucky and someone in your area may want it - working or not.
Good luck - be sure to post several pictures and measurements.

Thank you. I am a reseller as well, but not this kind of stuff. I live in Missouri also. I will see what I can find and hopefully sell!

Cool!! I hope you can fetch good money for it where you are!!

Post back how it goes! It is a neat piece!

This works and has all its original parts and speakers. We need help determining its value as we would like to sell it.

Answers

eBay has similar ones asking in the $225 range.

This is so cool and brings back many memories!!

The Zenith's are still sought after in some places, but their value has decreased in recent years because there are a glut on the market as the baby boomers downsize and sadly die off and families are left to liquidate estates.

This looks like it maybe oak or walnut (am I correct--hard to tell by the photo). Where I am these are (IN VINTAGE STORES) fetching in the $100 range in the way you described being all original and working. They fetch less if it is just someone off the street selling through a local site.

For giggles I looked on eBay and there are sold SIMILAR BUT NOT EXACT versions of this style which are selling from $10 to $90. I could not find an exact one....which is surprising.

The versions that sell at higher ranges are larger and are the ones that have the clean mid century modern lines (yours is more early American style which is not hot at the moment--MCM is a hot seller, but slowly fading). Also the ones that fetch more are mahogany and cherry woods--those people gut out the stereo and convert into things like bars and other things like you see on the TV show Flea Market Flip.

There are multiple ways to go about selling--the easiest is to find a local shop in your town who sells this type of thing and ask them to sell it on consignment (or some buy outright). You will get the best bang for your buck this way and no muss, no fuss, no people traipsing through your house or not showing, not being able to get it out of your house etc.

If you sell it online, you will have to offer local pick up (unless you have access to a good shipping services that is reasonable). The ones I saw on eBay all seemed to be local pick up. This could take forever as you have to find the right person. I avoid this method for big stuff.

You could try to sell it on Facebook or Nextdoor or those type of sites. I have had little luck with them. Mostly no shows and just this week, someone who did not put the agreed price in the envelope (so cheated me--that never happened before and was quite the disappointment as I have had dozens of good sales). This method most people are no shows or they get there and don't have a truck and want you to deliver or they hem and haw over price once they see it. No thanks.

If you are handy, you can take it apart and get more for the working stereo equipment (piecing it out into easy to mail chunks--like the arm, the motor, the needle, etc.). If you put Zenith stereo parts into eBay and look at the SOLD listings you can see the value in tested, working parts. A lot of handy resellers go this route.

Then you can sell the case at a flea market or yard sale--someone may want it for a flip project or donate the case to a local ReStore store or such type place and get the tax credit.

Post back what you decide and the value you get for it!! Thanks for sharing!

I found this record player in my grandparents' house. My dad remembers it from when he was a child. I've typed in the model # with no luck, so I'm curious what I'm looking at and how to or where to sell it. I'm including images of it. The model # is SFF 2500.

Answers

Similar ones on eBay are doing for $250 to $400.

I have a Zenith high fidelity phonograph. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth or where I can look for the value? It works fine.

Answers

I have seen vintage Zenith record players with cabinets in the $500 range on eBay

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureMarch 27, 2019
🎄
🍂