Value of a Vintage Zenith Console Stereo System

Spinning vinyl records in an old stereo cabinet can be great. Determining the worth of a working record player and radio in a cabinet may require some research. This is a guide about value of a vintage zenith console stereo system.

I'm wondering what the value of this stereo system would be? It's a Zenith, but I couldn't find a model #.

Answers

Best Answer

So I have been looking to find you an exact match since you posted and none have come up, so I apologize for the delay.

The only way to know the exact market value is to find the exact one sold online...either eBay or one of the other big websites like Worthpoint.

What I can tell you is the sleaker line models (commonly referred to as the Mid Century Modern (MCM) styles of cases are those that fetch the most online.

The bulkier versions like yours, fetch less. So the MCM ones get into the high $200s, even $300s, and the bulkier ones get into under $100 range, at least where I am.

Something else I know is that these things often sell better pieced up...meaning take it apart and sell off all the working pieces and the case separately. It seems weird, but look at the going prices for parts for these things:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

This is because people that love them, have them and want to keep them going and want real parts.

Sorry to have taken such a long time to respond...I wanted to get you better info, but sadly there have not been any exact ones to give you the exact market value as is!

I have a Zenith sterophonic high fidelity phonograph with AM stereo FM tuner. Everything works. It sounds great. Any idea what something like this is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

I saw something similar on eBay not long ago. They were asking $225. I do not know if it sold.

This works and has all its original parts and speakers. We need help determining its value as we would like to sell it.

Answers

eBay has similar ones asking in the $225 range.

This is so cool and brings back many memories!!

The Zenith's are still sought after in some places, but their value has decreased in recent years because there are a glut on the market as the baby boomers downsize and sadly die off and families are left to liquidate estates.

This looks like it maybe oak or walnut (am I correct--hard to tell by the photo). Where I am these are (IN VINTAGE STORES) fetching in the $100 range in the way you described being all original and working. They fetch less if it is just someone off the street selling through a local site.

For giggles I looked on eBay and there are sold SIMILAR BUT NOT EXACT versions of this style which are selling from $10 to $90. I could not find an exact one....which is surprising.

The versions that sell at higher ranges are larger and are the ones that have the clean mid century modern lines (yours is more early American style which is not hot at the moment--MCM is a hot seller, but slowly fading). Also the ones that fetch more are mahogany and cherry woods--those people gut out the stereo and convert into things like bars and other things like you see on the TV show Flea Market Flip.

There are multiple ways to go about selling--the easiest is to find a local shop in your town who sells this type of thing and ask them to sell it on consignment (or some buy outright). You will get the best bang for your buck this way and no muss, no fuss, no people traipsing through your house or not showing, not being able to get it out of your house etc.

If you sell it online, you will have to offer local pick up (unless you have access to a good shipping services that is reasonable). The ones I saw on eBay all seemed to be local pick up. This could take forever as you have to find the right person. I avoid this method for big stuff.

You could try to sell it on Facebook or Nextdoor or those type of sites. I have had little luck with them. Mostly no shows and just this week, someone who did not put the agreed price in the envelope (so cheated me--that never happened before and was quite the disappointment as I have had dozens of good sales). This method most people are no shows or they get there and don't have a truck and want you to deliver or they hem and haw over price once they see it. No thanks.

If you are handy, you can take it apart and get more for the working stereo equipment (piecing it out into easy to mail chunks--like the arm, the motor, the needle, etc.). If you put Zenith stereo parts into eBay and look at the SOLD listings you can see the value in tested, working parts. A lot of handy resellers go this route.

Then you can sell the case at a flea market or yard sale--someone may want it for a flip project or donate the case to a local ReStore store or such type place and get the tax credit.

Post back what you decide and the value you get for it!! Thanks for sharing!