Value of a Vintage Console Stereo System

Could someone tell me about this Magnavox automatic 400 record player with am/fm radio? I am interested in how old it is maybe and what it's worth.

Please and thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

From what I am seeing on eBay, they are from the mid-twentieth century and are worth in the $200 to $300 range

Best Answer

Hi,

I would say that this is from the 1960 era. I have seen them on E bay for $250 and up. This is a beautiful vintage record player and stereo. This brings back memories!

Blessings,

Robyn

Best Answer

This brings back lovely memories!! The console turntables were popular from the 50s-70s.

I think this one is from the very early 70s (if it is the original turntable) and based on the spool style decorations on the front) if the turntable is the original one. It is possible the cases is older and a newer turntable was dropped into it. Do you have any history on the piece?

They, sadly, fetch very little where I am. The most I have ever seen one sell for is $35 at a flea market. Most sell for much less. If you were in a place with a high demand and low supply for this, you may fetch much more.

The types that seem to fetch more money are those that are tricked out with the turntable, 8 track, and TV, where everything is in tip top working order. Those can fetch between $100 and $200.

Now, that said, some people take ones like yours apart and sell it off by the piece and get double or triple the "as is" value. This means the turntable, the arm, the motor, the needle, the case all pieced out, can fetch more on their own.

It is a strange dynamic, that frankly makes me sad since these are neat-o items!

Post back if you sell it and what you fetch for it!

Answer this Question

34 More Questions

I am wondering if anyone could tell me the value of this Grundig Majestic radio/record player/recorder? Model #5012. The radio works. I am not sure about anything else. It's in beautiful condition.

Thank you!

Answer this Question

Does anyone know more about this sterogram, such as value, etc. I'm in South Africa.

Answers

Best Answer

It is a really neat piece!

I hope you have someone on this site from South Africa who can help you. It would be very hard for someone like me, in the US, to give you a value for the item.

We have pieces like this here by brands like Phillips and Capeheart, but every market is very unique and these pieces in particular some can be quite valuable and some are worthless. It is very sensitive to where you are located and what buyers want, I would hate to guesstimate for a market with which I am not familiar.

I can tell you generally, what works in the US is if you have consignment stores or better yet, stores that specialize in vintage Hi Fi equipment in your town to talk to them. Shop around and ask what it would cost to buy one like what you have and they would give you the retail value in your area.

Then if you are trying to sell it privately, you would have to deduct at least 25% off of retail to sell OR offer to have it consigned by one of the places you talked to.

I am going to follow this post so I can learn more about sales in other places!! Best wishes in your venture!!!

Answer this Question

I'm hoping to sell this beautiful piece in Arizona. It's a Motorola SK11B. How much should I ask for it?

Answer this Question

This is my grandmother's console player. It includes a record player, radio, and 8 track player. It is still in good condition and everything works except possibly the 8 track player.

What year is this and what would it be worth? It is probably from the 1960s.

Answers

Best Answer

They have several listed on eBay and a few other sites that are selling for around $250. Back in the late 60s early 70s my parents had one similar to the one you are showing here. I do believe this is the correct time period for this model.

Best Answer

It really depends where you are, how much you can get for it.

These are a hard sell in many places because there a glut of them.

I am an experienced eBay seller and I would never recommend selling it there, even for local pickup. Just not worth the time and energy.

My best suggestion is to take it to a reseller in your town (a brick and mortar store--ideally one that specializes in things like stereos or amusements) and have them sell it for you--either by consignment or buy it outright.

People who want these are very picky and want it all tested, so if you can't test the 8 track that will be a strike against you.

Going this route will get you the best value for your area.

I can tell you generally I have seen them sell (not asking prices, but sold prices) from $25 to $300. They are all over the place because the sales are from different parts of the country.

Some of the higher values were in Arkansas and Maryland. The lower prices are Pennsylvania, Ohio, and California.

I can also share with you that if you were game to it, there is good money to be made by taking it all apart and selling it for parts. It is a lot of work, but tested and working parts fetch the most money for these pieces.

People often have their own and want to keep theirs going with authentic parts. This is not for the faint of heart, but it is lucrative if you are game!! Search Magnavox parts on eBay's sold section and you can see what things get.

Best wishes! Post back how your sale goes!

Answer this Question

This is a RCA model VST 320S, 1974, Serial 31281 0659. We are looking for a price it would sell for today.

Answers

Best Answer

The price people as on eBay vary between $249 to $399. Just keep in mind if you are selling online you must include the cost of shipping for this item. Items this size and weight will cost a great deal of money to ship to the buyer. Therefore, I would recommend selling this in your area. Also keep in mind the prices in your area are different than the prices I have listed for eBay.

Best Answer

Thanks for asking! There are a huge number of variables with the two biggest being does it all work and where are you located.

Other variables are the condition of the case, does it have any smells, are you including the 8 tracks, is it all original (no repairs/no replacement parts).

The market for resale for these systems is for the working audio pieces (not the item as a whole).

What handy sellers do is test to make sure each piece works, then take it apart and sell it off for parts. That is where the money is in today's market because people want the original parts to keep their own pieces going. Very few people want to buy these as a whole.

In small towns I have seen these sell for as low as $1.00. In bigger cities where there is a glut of them (like where I am), they sell for $10.00 to $25.00. I also see a lot of them by the curb on trash night, which makes me very sad. If you are in a market where these are scarce, you could fetch more for it. These are truly a supply and demand sale and you hope for low supply, high demand to fetch the most money.

I see 8 tracks in the photo and some of those have value (check those out on eBay's sold section). They can ship media mail and I have made some nice money selling those over the years (depending on titles). Right now the Beatles, the Monkees, and Billy Idol are hot sellers for 8 tracks. Check out the sold values for those!!

If you have a bunch with low value, list them as one bulk lot in a 7 day auction starting at the lowest you would want to get (maybe 9.99) and the market will dictate the final price.

Post back how your sales go!!

Answer this Question

I have a Philco console stereo record player and radio, model #h332alk. Everything works, but the speakers aren't very loud.

Answers

Best Answer

From what I have seen on eBay, similar systems are asking in the $225 dollar range.

Best Answer

These are so cool! Bring back lots of good memories! I have heard there is going to be a resurgence of interest in these...and am trying to find the article that I read about it and can't lay my hands on it.

That said, at the moment most of them are sitting unsold in most of the US at prices as low as $60. Sadly I often see them sitting by the curb on trash day :(

You do have some options if you are trying to sell. If you are very handy, there is a market for the parts (like working motors, record player arms and such). If you look at eBay and put Philco turntable or record player parts in the search bar and look at sold items, on almost any given day you will see the parts selling.

There are people who love these pieces, have their own and keep them going by buying working used parts from the internet.

The cabinets are the hardest part of the sale. There are some artists who like them to turn into things, but they usually want to pay next to nothing so they can paint, flip, and make a profit.

Post back with an update!

Answer this Question

I have a console stereo record player. It says that it plays a (45' to a 18'?). It is a Westinghouse stereophonics phono only HF 1050. It doesn't run. Who buys and restores these?

Answer this Question

I have a Sylvania 45c16m record player cabinet. I am curious about the year of manufacture and the value for this record player. I also have the original manual.

Answers

Best Answer

Cool, I have this same model--yours is the only other one I've ever seen. No idea of the value, but I've done a little research, and I'm pretty sure the "S" with lightning bolt logo design puts the date of manufacture between 1942 and 1959.

www.vintagesylvania.net/?page=history

Answer this Question

I have a Truetone DC-5907 Hi-Fi electric phonograph with automatic record changer. The ser. #W 177045.

I can not find any information on it. Models go from 5903-5908 in the DC series.

Please help me!

Answer this Question

I haven't been able to find this model online and haven't decided whether to let it go or hang on to it. I'm interested in any information about this piece as it belonged to my grandparents. Model # is WEG5745A-76.

Answers

Best Answer

If you look on eBay you can see several different models listed for various prices. The selling price is not always the asking price. The working condition also plays an important factor in how much a person is willing to pay for this item. Normally you can get around $150 to $250 for the item. Your item is not listed anywhere online for sale so you should not have too much trouble with this one.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles Console StereosSeptember 27, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Vintage-Console-Stereo-System-1.html