Value of a Vintage Console Stereo System

Before the popularity of component stereo systems the console stereo was a common piece of furniture in many households. It you have one of these vintage systems this page offers some insight into the possible value of your piece.

Could someone tell me about this Magnavox automatic 400 record player with am/fm radio? I am interested in how old it is maybe and what it's worth.

Please and thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

From what I am seeing on eBay, they are from the mid-twentieth century and are worth in the $200 to $300 range

Best Answer

Hi,

I would say that this is from the 1960 era. I have seen them on E bay for $250 and up. This is a beautiful vintage record player and stereo. This brings back memories!

Blessings,

Robyn

Best Answer

This brings back lovely memories!! The console turntables were popular from the 50s-70s.

I think this one is from the very early 70s (if it is the original turntable) and based on the spool style decorations on the front) if the turntable is the original one. It is possible the cases is older and a newer turntable was dropped into it. Do you have any history on the piece?

They, sadly, fetch very little where I am. The most I have ever seen one sell for is $35 at a flea market. Most sell for much less. If you were in a place with a high demand and low supply for this, you may fetch much more.

The types that seem to fetch more money are those that are tricked out with the turntable, 8 track, and TV, where everything is in tip top working order. Those can fetch between $100 and $200.

Now, that said, some people take ones like yours apart and sell it off by the piece and get double or triple the "as is" value. This means the turntable, the arm, the motor, the needle, the case all pieced out, can fetch more on their own.

It is a strange dynamic, that frankly makes me sad since these are neat-o items!

Post back if you sell it and what you fetch for it!

Does anyone know more about this sterogram, such as value, etc. I'm in South Africa.

Answers

Best Answer

It is a really neat piece!

I hope you have someone on this site from South Africa who can help you. It would be very hard for someone like me, in the US, to give you a value for the item.

We have pieces like this here by brands like Phillips and Capeheart, but every market is very unique and these pieces in particular some can be quite valuable and some are worthless. It is very sensitive to where you are located and what buyers want, I would hate to guesstimate for a market with which I am not familiar.

I can tell you generally, what works in the US is if you have consignment stores or better yet, stores that specialize in vintage Hi Fi equipment in your town to talk to them. Shop around and ask what it would cost to buy one like what you have and they would give you the retail value in your area.

Then if you are trying to sell it privately, you would have to deduct at least 25% off of retail to sell OR offer to have it consigned by one of the places you talked to.

I am going to follow this post so I can learn more about sales in other places!! Best wishes in your venture!!!

I have a Philco console stereo record player and radio, model #h332alk. Everything works, but the speakers aren't very loud.

Answers

Best Answer

From what I have seen on eBay, similar systems are asking in the $225 dollar range.

Best Answer

These are so cool! Bring back lots of good memories! I have heard there is going to be a resurgence of interest in these...and am trying to find the article that I read about it and can't lay my hands on it.

That said, at the moment most of them are sitting unsold in most of the US at prices as low as $60. Sadly I often see them sitting by the curb on trash day :(

You do have some options if you are trying to sell. If you are very handy, there is a market for the parts (like working motors, record player arms and such). If you look at eBay and put Philco turntable or record player parts in the search bar and look at sold items, on almost any given day you will see the parts selling.

There are people who love these pieces, have their own and keep them going by buying working used parts from the internet.

The cabinets are the hardest part of the sale. There are some artists who like them to turn into things, but they usually want to pay next to nothing so they can paint, flip, and make a profit.

Post back with an update!

I have a Sylvania 45c16m record player cabinet. I am curious about the year of manufacture and the value for this record player. I also have the original manual.

Answers

Best Answer

Cool, I have this same model--yours is the only other one I've ever seen. No idea of the value, but I've done a little research, and I'm pretty sure the "S" with lightning bolt logo design puts the date of manufacture between 1942 and 1959.

www.vintagesylvania.net/?page=history

Anyone know what make or model this record player is? I've tried to google some of the info on it, but cant seem to come up with anything. I need a new needle and cord for it to work so any help would be appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

The maker is Ultratone. This website has needles. You can contact them directly and they could help you more www.turntableneedles.com/Find_Turntable_Record_Player_Stylus_by_Model_Number_for_ULTRATONE

Where and how can I determine the value of a vintage approximately 1950s stereo and turntable cabinet manufactured by Realistic brand (also known as Radio Shack)l The console has a Garrard turntable and everything works fine. The cabinet appears to be made out of maple. Any info will be valuable.

Answers

Best Answer

Similar ones have been asking about $225 on eBay.

I was wondering how to price a 1952 vintage record player with an 8 track and radio in perfect working order.

Answers

Best Answer

I have seen these on eBay in the $175-$225 range.

How much is this 8 track/record/stereo unit worth. Everything works.

Answers

Best Answer

I have seen similar items on eBay asking $225-250

I have this console stereo. Any idea of how much this is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

I have seen these types on eBay recently in the $200-$250 asking price range.

Can anyone tell me what this stereo system is worth? It has a record player, 8 track and cassette player. The AM/FM radio sounds great. I am not sure how old it is. It had a tag that says Simpson Sears.

Answers

Best Answer

Your best bet is to look on eBay for a few weeks to a couple of months. If your item is in demand, you will see it there and also see if it sold, and for what price.

These stereo consoles hark back to the days when they were "the" in home entertainment centers. Fitted with a radio, turntable, and perhaps a tape deck, depending on the timeframe, they were also a piece of home decor. This is a page about finding the value of a vintage General Electric console stereo system.

Value of a Console Stereo Radio and Record Player

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Spinning vinyl records in an old stereo cabinet can be great. Determining the worth of a working record player and radio in a wood cabinet may require some research. This is a page about value of a vintage zenith console stereo system.

Turntable and controls for a vintage zenith console stereo system.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Console StereosSeptember 27, 2019
🎃
🌻
🎂