Value of a Vintage General Electric Console Stereo System

Category Miscellaneous
These stereo consoles hark back to the days when they were "the" in home entertainment centers. Fitted with a radio, turntable, and perhaps a tape deck, depending on the timeframe, they were also a piece of home decor. This is a guide about finding the value of a vintage General Electric console stereo system.

Does anyone have any idea what this is worth? I can't find anything like it online.

Answers

They are rare. I would ask $350 for it

WOW!! This is so cool!! I have never seen an upright cabinet hi fi like yours. I did some digging and I found this article:

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../206036-upright-general-electric-clock...

My suggestion is two fold...first the link I gave has a man who worked for GE who commented on the piece from that post (it is different than yours but here the principle is the same so I think this is a good avenue to get you started.

There is an email address from 7 months ago at the bottom of the post, so many this gentleman can help you set a true value for the piece (meaning what he has known people to pay for it in his experience).

Second if he doesn't respond or doesn't want to help, this piece is rare enough it needs and expert to value it for where you are and the condition the piece is in (there are going to be a lot of variables--like does it work, all original hi fi equipment, condition of cabinet etc.)

If your town has a place that specializes in vintage hi fi call them first as the value may be in the hi fi end of it. If not, look for a reputable vintage/antique (the piece isn't an antique but most places sell vintage and antiques at least where I am) and talk to them about valuing it for you AND selling it for you.

With a rare pieces like this it may even be best to go into an auction setting so it fetches the most exposure and gets the most value. A reputable dealer can get you started on the right path for your sale. They will take a commission, but I can almost guarantee you they will get you more value in the long run than you will if you try to sell it on your own.

When I say auction, I don't mean eBay..that would be a nightmare, but a real auction setting where they specialize in higher end collectibles and furniture pieces.

Please post back what you learn. I love it when I see something I have never seen before!! Thanks for sharing!!

I have an old General Electric record player AM/FM cabinet. I says 1980 on it. I don't know anything about record players, but plugged in the radio works perfectly and the record player spins, although I think it might be spinning too slowly.

Answers

These are in the $150 to $200 range.

There has been one which looks identical to yours sitting unsold on eBay for months at $125. It was for local pick up only in Michigan.

These are a hard sale in many places as the people who want them for use want them pristine or at least all of the working parts to work because they piece them out (meaning sell the motor, the arm,etc.

You could try it at $125 and drop the price every few days until it sells.

There are flip artists who like the cabinets to re-purpose, but they are looking to buy VERY low so they can sell high.

If you are handy and can take it all part, you may make more on the pieces (like the motor etc. if you can test to know it all works.)

Parts sell because people want to keep their own like items going.

Thanks for sharing!