Value of a Vintage General Electric Console Stereo System

Category Miscellaneous
These stereo consoles hark back to the days when they were "the" in home entertainment centers. Fitted with a radio, turntable, and perhaps a tape deck, depending on the timeframe, they were also a piece of home decor. This is a page about finding the value of a vintage General Electric console stereo system.

I have a GE console stereo system, perhaps from 1969 timeframe. The model number is: C226. I can't find any information besides a postcard ad and a newspaper ad. It has great sound and is in excellent shape. Can you give me a ballpark figure on its value?

Answers

Similar stereo systems with the cabinet are asking in the $225 range on eBay.

Thanks for sharing! Ahh...the old console stereo! They were a staple in every home from the 1950s to the 1980s.

There is a website that can help you date it, If that is the kind of info you are looking for on it:

products.geappliances.com/.../gea-support-search-content?contentId...

If you are looking just for value to sell, the news is not so good for selling them. I have seen them sell for as low as (please do not shoot the messenger)--$1 at auction.

Sometimes they fetch up to $50, but that is when you are located in place where there are very few left and yours is pristine, all original and working and someone is trying to complete their retro rumpus room. It has to be the perfect storm to sell one for that much!

There is some good news to the value part of this. If you are handy and can take the machine test the parts, and they work, there is a huge market on eBay mostly, for working parts...motors, tubes, knobs, turntables, etc. People who have these pieces and love them want to keep their machines going and want original parts to do so.

Put GE stereo parts into eBay's SOLD search engine on any given day and you will see what people want and how much the parts fetch! It is amazing!

Once it is gutted, the cabinets can be sold for a few bucks to someone who will take it for a flea market flip project. Artists like to turn these into bars or dog beds, but they don't want to pay much for them...like under $10.

Post back with an update on what you decide and how it sells if that is your goal.

Anonymous

Similar one on Etsy going for $266.63

There is a similar one on Etsy for $266.63

I live in Florida and these can sometimes be found curbside for free as they are just not very popular in my area. I see them at yard sales for $15 and no one buys.

Most people just do not have room for this type of furniture and the younger crowd just do not seem to be interested.

GE is not one of the more sought after systems but if you wish to sell you it you need to clean it up and take several uncluttered pictures showing full front, top, insides and back. Pictures sell much more than words.
Also, give measurements.

I would list it on several sites such as Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, Nextdoor, Facebook Groups/Marketplace and list it as pick up only.
You can start your price high ($500 or more) and just keep reducing the price if no one shows an interest. You can list it on several sites at one time.

People are not as interested in how old it is but they do want it to look nice and have everything working.

Does anyone have any idea what this is worth? I can't find anything like it online.

Answers

They are rare. I would ask $350 for it

WOW!! This is so cool!! I have never seen an upright cabinet hi fi like yours. I did some digging and I found this article:

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../206036-upright-general-electric-clock...

My suggestion is two fold...first the link I gave has a man who worked for GE who commented on the piece from that post (it is different than yours but here the principle is the same so I think this is a good avenue to get you started.

There is an email address from 7 months ago at the bottom of the post, so many this gentleman can help you set a true value for the piece (meaning what he has known people to pay for it in his experience).

Second if he doesn't respond or doesn't want to help, this piece is rare enough it needs and expert to value it for where you are and the condition the piece is in (there are going to be a lot of variables--like does it work, all original hi fi equipment, condition of cabinet etc.)

If your town has a place that specializes in vintage hi fi call them first as the value may be in the hi fi end of it. If not, look for a reputable vintage/antique (the piece isn't an antique but most places sell vintage and antiques at least where I am) and talk to them about valuing it for you AND selling it for you.

With a rare pieces like this it may even be best to go into an auction setting so it fetches the most exposure and gets the most value. A reputable dealer can get you started on the right path for your sale. They will take a commission, but I can almost guarantee you they will get you more value in the long run than you will if you try to sell it on your own.

When I say auction, I don't mean eBay..that would be a nightmare, but a real auction setting where they specialize in higher end collectibles and furniture pieces.

Please post back what you learn. I love it when I see something I have never seen before!! Thanks for sharing!!

Anyone know the year it was made. Just acquired one today:)) this is the only reference I can find anywhere....
thx!

Can you find a label or serial number anywhere? It looks like there should be one on the back. I would take a picture of any markings and post them here. That way we have a little more to go on.

I have a 60's General Electric console record player/stereo for sale

I have an old General Electric record player AM/FM cabinet. I says 1980 on it. I don't know anything about record players, but plugged in the radio works perfectly and the record player spins, although I think it might be spinning too slowly.

Answers

These are in the $150 to $200 range.

There has been one which looks identical to yours sitting unsold on eBay for months at $125. It was for local pick up only in Michigan.

These are a hard sale in many places as the people who want them for use want them pristine or at least all of the working parts to work because they piece them out (meaning sell the motor, the arm,etc.

You could try it at $125 and drop the price every few days until it sells.

There are flip artists who like the cabinets to re-purpose, but they are looking to buy VERY low so they can sell high.

If you are handy and can take it all part, you may make more on the pieces (like the motor etc. if you can test to know it all works.)

Parts sell because people want to keep their own like items going.

Thanks for sharing!

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousApril 22, 2019
🎄
🍂