Value of Antique Grand Rapids Imperial Furniture

The Imperial Furniture Company was founded in 1903. They initially made tables and later added a line of bookcases. Mahogany was the main wood used with some cherry pieces available. Imperial was the first factory to bring out Duncan Phyfe reproductions. This page contains information that may be helpful in determining the value of a piece of Imperial furniture.

I inherited this True Grand Rapids Imperial mahogany table with brass feet and was wondering what it is worth?

Thank you so much for your help.

Answers

Best Answer

I would ask $275

Best Answer

It's worth about 800 dollars there is one very similiar on E-Bay.

We have had this desk sitting in the garage for several years and are wondering if it is worth anything.

Answers

Best Answer

This brand of furniture has held its value. It is worth at least $200, and probably more. www.ebay.com/.../bn_7024793868

Best Answer

Nice sturdy, functional piece you have there!!

So the single drawer versions are selling (ACTUAL sold prices--not asking prices) for $250 local pick up in Shiocton, Wisconsin (it was on eBay).

Since I can't find a two drawer comparable to give you today's value, I can guesstimate that a 2 drawer would fetch $25-$50 more than a one drawer.

The challenge is sales like this are:

1. better if done in person (the eBay sale was local pick up only)

2. different values in different parts of the country--where I am, I know people wouldn't pay that much for this piece--so you have to know your market to get a good value for it--we know in Shiocton, Wisconsin, it is worth $250 for a one drawer and guess that a two drawer would have a slightly higher value.

Selling is all about supply and demand so if you are in a high demand, low supply location, you may get even more, if you are in a place like me, where there is a high supply and a low demand, you will fetch less.

Since this is a large and lovely piece, you would be best served to work with a reputable 2nd hand furniture dealer or antique store (even though it is not an antique) and have them sell it for you.

Most people are not going to hand over that much cash to a person for a sale (like if you tried to sell it yourself on Facebook marketplace). You could try it...but you will get the most exposure through a shop.You pay a percentage of the sale, but usually end up winning in the long run because there is no muss or fuss, the piece leaves your house, sits as long as it needs to sit to sell, and you get a check. To me, that is well worth the slight money difference!

Post back with an update on how much you fetch for this neat item! Thanks for sharing!!

Best Answer

You can probably use this piece as a desk but I believe it would be unusual to find a true desk with drop-down side pieces.
Perhaps it was used as a library table or davenport/sofa table or foyer table or even a side table used for serving in the dining area?

That information may not be important but if you want top dollar for furniture you need to know as much about it as possible.

Your label does not seem to match any advertised labels for Imperial Furniture Company so maybe someone can explain about the difference.

Lyre base tables are usually popular but condition means everything with furniture (for top value). Your table seems to be in good condition but you say it has been stored in your garage for years and if it has been exposed to moisture then it may not be in excellent condition. Hopefully the drawers are sliding properly and close correctly as these are usually the first things affected by moisture.
If you wish to sell your table I do not think you should mention that it has been stored in your garage.

I am a great believer in free online appraisals as you can usually find out so many things from these sites and some are free but it's always best to contact several so you receive the most information.
Should you decide to ask for an appraisal you should clean up your piece as best you can and take a minimum of 6 pictures with an uncluttered background if possible.

Full front, close up of top condition, side showing drop and hinges, harp/lyre, full back, underside and marks.
Also give full measurements, opened and closed and height.
Provide any information you have about provenance and state your present location.
Ask for insurance and retail value and any information on where would be a suitable place to take your table for auction (within driving distance if possible).

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

www.antique-shop.com/.../index.php?board=2.0

If you do this you will have all the information (and pictures) needed to list your table for sale.
I agree that taking it to a large auction house may be best but most people do not live within driving distance of an auction where this table would be sought after.
No matter where you post your listing it will probably be best to have it listed as local pick up only.
I believe your table will show up as more valuable than is being sited but value will depend on condition and location.

Here is a link that you can ask questions about your table.

www.furniturecityhistory.org/contact

www.furnituredetective.com/contact_us.php

Here are links to interesting fact about the Imperial Furniture Company.

www.seattletimes.com/.../

www.furniturecityhistory.org/.../imperial-furniture-co

I have a Grand Rapids Imperial Furniture Company 3 tier nesting table. I am curious if this has value.

Answers

In good condition $300-$400 on Ebay!

Depending on the conditon of the table and how many people are interested in this type of furniture will determine the price. I know eBay can give you an idea of what people ask for this table but this is not the true value of the table. On eBay I see people asking $200 to $400 for this table. Now if you go to an antique store they could tell you the table is worth a lot more or they could say it was worth less. I would actually get this appraised to find out the real value because it is a nice table.

It is o my worth what people will pay. Look on eBay only at the sold items and see what they sold for.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureSeptember 27, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻