Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture

Sometimes antique furniture can be worth more than you realize. Check the value of your old furniture before selling or donating these potentially valuable items. This is a guide about finding the value for your antique furniture.

This has been in the family for 50 years that we know of. Can you help?

Answers

Anonymous

My husband auctions part time, and I sometimes clerk for him. In my area, at a general auction this would probably go for around $40. But, if it were at a vintage auction, closer to $60. If in one of those antique malls that the city people come and pay inflated prices for things, it may even for for $100-$120 if in a booth with vintage 1930-1970's items.

You need to know who manufactured it. Look under and behind for markings.

Without markings or names of manufacturer it would be almost impossible to help you as even an experienced antique person may have problems with just this photo.

Markings can be found in different places but look very carefully on the back and on the bottom for any type of name or numbers or symbols.
You will also need several (better) photos, particularly from the front (clear - no person), sides and back. You could take some nice photos and maybe show them to an antique dealer near you as they will know more about furniture from your area.

Here some more pics

Here are more pics

This is a lovely glass cabinet but without maker marks/name it will be very difficult to place a value.

I still believe you should take these pics to antique dealers in your city (along with measurements and any information you have as to where it came from) as most likely it came from somewhere in your area and these dealers will maybe know the maker.
Once you have any more information then you may be able to find a date and more about the value.

I just bought this chest of drawers at an estate sale for $35. The elderly lady (probably in her 80s) I bought it from said it belonged to her husband's grandmother who lived to be 102. Can anyone identify the era and possibly the even the value of this piece?

Answers

Best Answer

so here's a link that will tell you what different furniture is called which will help you ID the piece

theantiquesalmanac.com/furniturecalled.htm

I can't attest to the peice in question but if what the lady said is correct, you are looking at a Civil War Era chest of drawers. If so you can get as much as $1500, looks like

I just acquired this chair. I find it very interesting. Anyone know anything about it or its value?

Answers

Best Answer

Well, you certainly have a conversation piece. Looks like it may be a bedroom chair.

• I do not think you will find anything similar on the Internet and since there is no tag or name it will probably take someone with period furniture knowledge to help you.
  • Here is a link that has several sites that offer free appraisals and I think this is the way you will have to go if you want true information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Here is a link to Barneby's appraisal service but the cost is $17. It would probably be worth this to receive a good appraisal with information on who made it and when.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

I have an antique table that's refinished with all original parts. I think the wood is pecan. How much is it worth?

Answers

Best Answer

This is almost impossible to estimate the value of a table from the photo you have supplied.

1. You need to know who manufactured the table.
  2. Look on the bottom for a manufacture name and or a number.
  3. You will need to look carefully for any marking on the table.
  4. Because if we don't know anything about the table, even an experienced appraiser couldn't help you out.

Can anyone help me put a value on these tables? I don't know the era or the style, but the maker's mark is Castcraft, Lon. Eng. I can't seem to find anything on Castcraft and would so appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like beautiful ornamental work but I have never seen anything with this name.

• You may have to ask for an appraisal but be careful as many times there are hidden fees so check everything before you sign up.
  • The following link has some sites listed and they are supposed to be "free" but always check.

I inherited this True Grand Rapids Imperial mahogany table with brass feet and was wondering what it is worth?

Thank you so much for your help.

Again I inherited these 2 tables and was wondering what they were worth? They are 26 3/4" H x 17 1/2" D with inlaid wood bands. Thank you so much for your help.

I inherited this sideboard and was wondering what it is worth. Thank you so much for your help.

I am cleaning out antiques and have no idea what this piece might be worth. We bought it at an auction years ago.

Answers

Look under the piece for an manufacturer. That will give you something to get your research started.

Any markings on it? I can't find anything similar online but it is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

I have a round table with 6 chairs and a leaf that goes in the table. I am wanting to know how much it's worth.

I own an antique sideboard. I can't seem to establish the period and value unless I transport it somewhere. I am trying to find out if that is worth my while. Any expert advice (appraisal)?

My husband and I bought this bedroom suite many years ago at an estate auction sale. Does anyone know what kind it is and what it may be worth?

I recently found a table at a thrift store here that was made pre 1920. The company was Arthur A. Marer & Co. from Chicago. I found them online and he died in 1922. The table was beautiful and was made when the company was transitioning into using a type of wood glue and what was almost like panel board. It's starting to come off on the legs, but the wood underneath is solid. The table still looks amazing and it adds a unique quality (except the holes), but is it restorable? And is it worth $250 in the condition it's in? That's the asking price. I would love to know your thoughts. Thank you.

How can I find out if an antique table and chairs are worth anything? The chairs all need to be repaired.

By Nel M.

Answers

Don't be surprised if your antique dinning room set isn't worth as much as you hoped. Unless it's a really unique brand in mint condition you will find that people can buy a brand new set made in China for less money. I suggest you call around to antique shops and tell them what you have & see if they take consignment furniture. Good Luck!

I don't think it matters if it is worth anything or not. If you like the furniture, or if it is family furniture that has been handed down, and has sentimental value, get it repaired. If you don't like it, then contact antique furniture shops and consignment shops to see what something like it will be worth. I would never trade either of my antique/vintage tables & chair sets for something new made in China. On the photo it looks like a very nice, good quality table. I would do the repairs. Cheap modern things are seldom made to last.

I have an antique dining table and 6 chairs and would like to know how I can find out how valuable they are? They need refinishing. Is there a website where I can get more information from or who would I call?

Ace from Nashville, TN

Answers

When you say "antique", could you clarify a bit? Do you mean that they are over 100 years old?

If they are, then they could be very valuable and I would track down an expert before I considered having them refinished.

By Ace (Guest Post)

They were antique & over 25 yrs old when the set was bought in W Germany in 1976.

Editor's Note: To be a real antique, something must be 100 years old or older. This still is a vintage set and over 50 years old. Refinishing furniture quite often lessens the value so I would take some pictures of the set and show them to a vintage furniture dealer to get an idea of the value.

I have furniture over a hundred years old, one couch and five chairs. They would need to be reupholstered to be perfect. Very solid hard wood. Would like some idea how much I should ask for it.

Load More