Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture

Sometimes antique furniture can be worth more than you realize. Check the value of your old furniture before selling or donating these potentially valuable items. This is a guide about finding the value for your antique furniture.

I have had this dresser in my garage for years. I finally pulled it out to clean it up and I was just wondering what it was worth? The maker was Sligh furniture company.

Answers

Best Answer

What a pretty piece! Solid construction with the dovetail drawers! They do not make things like this anymore...today furniture is crappy and poorly made!

This piece is unique and very interesting. There is a similar piece on eBay with an asking price in the high $600s.

www.ebay.com/.../372441679817?hash=item56b74107c9...

I recommend watching this auction to see what it sells for and that will give you today's market value for your piece. I NEVER use asking price to value things in today's market--only SOLD prices tell you what someone is willing to pay.

Usually I tell people only to find exact matches to get value. In the really old pieces, like I think yours is, it is very hard to find an exact match...you can usually only find very close similar items and that gives you a ballpark range.

The downside to these type of pieces is today people like the crappy furniture that is being sold and are not always willing to pay for the good stuff.

I just sold off a very unique, very expensive in its day bedroom set that was over 100 years old, handmade, a true custom set....and all we got for it was the low $200s because people today want cheap disposable furniture. I don't get it!

You may do best to take this piece to several reputable antique dealers and get bids from them. I think this piece is worth being in the right market to get the best value for it!

Let me know what you learn and how well you do with the sale!! Thanks!!

This has been in the family for 50 years that we know of. Can you help?

Answers

Anonymous

My husband auctions part time, and I sometimes clerk for him. In my area, at a general auction this would probably go for around $40. But, if it were at a vintage auction, closer to $60.

If in one of those antique malls that the city people come and pay inflated prices for things, it may even for for $100-$120 if in a booth with vintage 1930-1970's items.

You need to know who manufactured it. Look under and behind for markings.

Without markings or names of manufacturer it would be almost impossible to help you as even an experienced antique person may have problems with just this photo.
Markings can be found in different places but look very carefully on the back and on the bottom for any type of name or numbers or symbols.
You will also need several (better) photos, particularly from the front (clear - no person), sides and back. You could take some nice photos and maybe show them to an antique dealer near you as they will know more about furniture from your area.

Here some more pics

Here are more pics

This is a lovely glass cabinet but without maker marks/name it will be very difficult to place a value.

I still believe you should take these pics to antique dealers in your city (along with measurements and any information you have as to where it came from) as most likely it came from somewhere in your area and these dealers will maybe know the maker.
Once you have any more information then you may be able to find a date and more about the value.

I just bought this chest of drawers at an estate sale for $35. The elderly lady (probably in her 80s) I bought it from said it belonged to her husband's grandmother who lived to be 102. Can anyone identify the era and possibly the even the value of this piece?

Answers

Best Answer

so here's a link that will tell you what different furniture is called which will help you ID the piece

theantiquesalmanac.com/furniturecalled.htm

I can't attest to the peice in question but if what the lady said is correct, you are looking at a Civil War Era chest of drawers. If so you can get as much as $1500, looks like

I just acquired this chair. I find it very interesting. Anyone know anything about it or its value?

Answers

Best Answer

Well, you certainly have a conversation piece. Looks like it may be a bedroom chair.

• I do not think you will find anything similar on the Internet and since there is no tag or name it will probably take someone with period furniture knowledge to help you.
  • Here is a link that has several sites that offer free appraisals and I think this is the way you will have to go if you want true information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Here is a link to Barneby's appraisal service but the cost is $17. It would probably be worth this to receive a good appraisal with information on who made it and when.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

I have an antique table that's refinished with all original parts. I think the wood is pecan. How much is it worth?

Answers

Best Answer

This is almost impossible to estimate the value of a table from the photo you have supplied.

1. You need to know who manufactured the table.
  2. Look on the bottom for a manufacture name and or a number.
  3. You will need to look carefully for any marking on the table.
  4. Because if we don't know anything about the table, even an experienced appraiser couldn't help you out.

Can anyone help me put a value on these tables? I don't know the era or the style, but the maker's mark is Castcraft, Lon. Eng. I can't seem to find anything on Castcraft and would so appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like beautiful ornamental work but I have never seen anything with this name.

• You may have to ask for an appraisal but be careful as many times there are hidden fees so check everything before you sign up.
  • The following link has some sites listed and they are supposed to be "free" but always check.

I recently came across an antique walnut server buffet made by Georgetown Galleries. I am not sure if it's helpful to know that it's from Lot 757 3033. I'm new to any of this and not sure if that has any indication or not of time built or not. I think it's from 1900-1950 era. It's 32" high 34" long and 17" deep. The felt like piece is no longer in the serving drawer. It's in good condition but has 2 small nicks in it. I am wondering: 1. What it's worth 2. should I refinish it with paint or does it lose it's value then completely. Thank you.

I inherited this True Grand Rapids Imperial mahogany table with brass feet and was wondering what it is worth?

Thank you so much for your help.

I have uploaded pictures of a antique table and 6 chairs which I inherited from my mother or my mother's mother. I'm seeking to establish their worth. There is a label underneath the table top that says that it's the reliable Hax- Smith Furniture Company out of st. Joseph Missouri.

How do I determine the price to use for selling my cherry china cabinet? I bought it as an antique over 50 years ago. It has old glass with air bubbles and dovetail drawers. How or where should I sell it?

Again I inherited these 2 tables and was wondering what they were worth? They are 26 3/4" H x 17 1/2" D with inlaid wood bands. Thank you so much for your help.

I inherited this sideboard and was wondering what it is worth. Thank you so much for your help.

I am cleaning out antiques and have no idea what this piece might be worth. We bought it at an auction years ago.

Answers

Look under the piece for an manufacturer. That will give you something to get your research started.

Any markings on it? I can't find anything similar online but it is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

I'm sure you have already checked for markings but it is not unusual for furniture to not have markings.
I feel sure you will have to have this appraised by an expert in this field that can tell you who made it, when it was made, insurance and selling value, as well as where the best place to sell might be located.
If you wish to get an on-line appraisal first - I only know one site that has a very good reputation:

https://www.the  antiques-4127545

I am not sure what to sell this for. My wife bought it about 10 years ago. It is an antique.

Thanks!

Load More