Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture

Can anyone help me identify these antique chairs? They are said to be 18th century?

Answers

Best Answer

I believe you are going to have to find some site that has more members who are into this type of furniture.
There are a lot of forums with members who have varied knowledge of vintage and antiques so try posting your question on several of these and any others you can find as you may gain little bits of information from each one that you can put together.
You'll have to pick out the best pictures as this is too many for most sites unless you have link that can be checked. Post some pictures because many will not go to a link to view.

iantiqueonline.ning.com/.../forum

www.treasurenet.com/.../316202-antique-chair.html

www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?3217-Help-Identifying...

designaddict.com/.../

www.antiquers.com/.../

You can also try for a free appraisal as these sometimes give good information.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Best Answer

Neat pieces! My best suggestion is to have a reputable antique dealer look at them in person.

It is very challenging from pictures.

Everything I can see leads me to believe they are from the 1920s-1940s (or they could be old chairs that were redone in that era).

Everything about the chair that is visible looks machine made or machine assembled--nails, wood frieze, brass tacks and from the 1900s on.

Also, while velvet/velveteen was around for hundreds of years, it did not become common in every day, mass produced furniture until around the 1920s. Again--the chairs could be old and redone in this or a later era.

Someone needs to really look at the chair construction and things under the meshy stuff on the bottom and see how they are assembled.

If they are 18th century, they do look redone. I am not sure how that would impact the value. Values are regional also so without knowing more about your market and the supply and demand of furniture in your town, setting a value will be challenging.

Whomever looks at them for you can give you the values for your location.

They are really lovely!! Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question

86 More Questions

I have been trying to find out more information and the value of my antique buffet table. Can someone help?

Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately that is a fairly generic manufacturing sign. The style is sort of a rustic cottage style and I do notice it has a few nicks

You could probably get $200 or so for it

Best Answer

As to being antique - do you have provenance information dating this buffet? It's possible it could be vintage but not sure about it being an 'antique' and there is generally a big difference in value.
Since there are no brand markings it would be difficult to place a value on your piece.
It does also seem to have several flaws which would reduce the value especially if they are permanent and not just small scratches.

The value of pieces like this (unless something rare or really sought after) usually depend on the condition and the area where they are located as not many would be willing to pay the high cost of shipping an item like this.

As far as the area goes, where you live may be buying pieces like this but most areas will not be too keen on having large pieces like this. Our society is more into light, easy to move items as people just do not stay in one place for long periods of time.

If you bought it 'for a song' then you may have a feel for your area but you can always go to sites that have 'local pick up only' for your area and see what is listed for sale and what is selling.

You can also list it for sale on those sites but you'll need good pictures and a good description.
As to the price,; you can start your price anywhere you wish and lower it if no one seems interested.

Answer this Question

Was wondering what this would be worth. I am wanting more info on this piece.

This has been in my family for a long time. Does anyone know the age of the dresser and what it is possibly worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Normally dressers like this should have a label on the back, under the dresser, or in one of the drawers that gives you an idea of who has made this and the type of wood the dresser is made out of. Just trying to guess who has made this and the age is a bit difficult without knowing more about the company that has made it. If you can't find out anything else about this item it is best to find an antique furniture dealer in your area and have him take a look. He may be able to identify who has made this dresser, give you an estimate of the age and the value. Without knowing more it is hard to say one way or the other.

Answer this Question

I have had this dresser in my garage for years. I finally pulled it out to clean it up and I was just wondering what it was worth? The maker was Sligh furniture company.

Answers

Best Answer

What a pretty piece! Solid construction with the dovetail drawers! They do not make things like this anymore...today furniture is crappy and poorly made!

This piece is unique and very interesting. There is a similar piece on eBay with an asking price in the high $600s.

www.ebay.com/.../372441679817?hash=item56b74107c9...

I recommend watching this auction to see what it sells for and that will give you today's market value for your piece. I NEVER use asking price to value things in today's market--only SOLD prices tell you what someone is willing to pay.

Usually I tell people only to find exact matches to get value. In the really old pieces, like I think yours is, it is very hard to find an exact match...you can usually only find very close similar items and that gives you a ballpark range.

The downside to these type of pieces is today people like the crappy furniture that is being sold and are not always willing to pay for the good stuff.

I just sold off a very unique, very expensive in its day bedroom set that was over 100 years old, handmade, a true custom set....and all we got for it was the low $200s because people today want cheap disposable furniture. I don't get it!

You may do best to take this piece to several reputable antique dealers and get bids from them. I think this piece is worth being in the right market to get the best value for it!

Let me know what you learn and how well you do with the sale!! Thanks!!

Answer this Question

This has been in the family for 50 years that we know of. Can you help?

Answers

Anonymous

My husband auctions part time, and I sometimes clerk for him. In my area, at a general auction this would probably go for around $40. But, if it were at a vintage auction, closer to $60. If in one of those antique malls that the city people come and pay inflated prices for things, it may even for for $100-$120 if in a booth with vintage 1930-1970's items.

Would love to know more about these beautiful pieces!

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a little history of Alphonse Mucha. He was a graphic art cabinet maker and a large part of his art was displayed on the cabinets he made. He is a Czech illustrator and his works are from 1860 to 1939. You can see many of his pieces of art by visiting the Museum of Art and History online. The style of art he did back in the 1900s was known as Art Nouveau. He did do an exhibit in Paris in 1900. According to most people, Mucha was able to find the perfect environment to exploit his magnificent qualities as an artist which made his graphic work one of the most innovative of its time. His work was the most recognized and marketed after his death.

Best Answer

Alphonso Mucha was a fascinating person. He tried many different 'professions' - even singing - but his love was art.
There is a lot of history online about him as well as his paintings and a large article on Wiki.

One fascinating thing to was that when Czechoslovakia won it's independence after World War I, Mucha designed the new postage stamps, banknotes, and other government documents for the new state." This shows how diverse his painting/drawing abilities were.

About your cabinets - your pictures do not really show cabinets clearly and you do not mention any measurements.

Although you do not mention value, online sales are generally where you can find the most information about almost anything. I have found very few cabinets listed for sale or sold but I also did not find any indication these were very rare.
It seems there are quite a few of the wine cabinets listed for sale but your cabinets appear to be the smaller version and I'm not sure what these were actually used for.

Here is one link that shows 2 cabinets listed for sale along with 4 wall divider panels. It appears to still be for sale.
Describes cabinets:
33 in H X 14 in square box with doors & 1 Shelf

www.letgo.com/.../alphonse-mucha-4-panel-room-divider...

If you take several pictures of a single cabinet and give measurements you may be able to post on these sites and I feel sure someone will answer with the information you're looking for.
You will have to join some sites:

instappraisal.com/

www.reddit.com/.../?q=vintage%20desk

Even a museum:

www.mucha.cz/.../exibition

Bio & history of Alphonso Mucha

www.alfonsmucha.org/biography.html

www.alfonsmucha.org/the-complete-works.html

Answer this Question

This chair is ebony in color. It was in my grandmother's home. It is probably from the 1920s and 1930s. It is very old, very heavy, and very ornate.

I don't even know where to start to get an approximate value and how to sell.

Answers

Best Answer

Ebay has similar ornately carved armchairs selling from $1,000.00 and more. You could list your chair there or on pinterest if you're wanting to sell it. You have a really nice family heirloom.

Best Answer

There are a lot of different syles on eBay like someone has pointed out. Before trusting the selling price people are asking I would actually seek advise from a dealer on this one. I think it is best to get it appraised first. You might find out that the asking price for some of these is way too high or maybe even too low.

Answer this Question

Any thoughts on age or value of this side table?

Answer this Question

I am trying to determine the value of this antique magazine rack side table. It is 12" x 24" x 24"h. Any information is much appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

Everything about this table seems to be a 'contradictory in terms' as every piece seems to be from a different area/country.
The pictures do not tell a good enough story to be able to do research.
Maybe with some more information someone might be able to help.

You say antique so how did you find out this is an antique? Has it been in your family? Or do you have some knowledge of its past?

What is the trim around the table top made of?
Is the marking on the top inlaid? Made of what type material?
Where are you finding the company marking?
If underneath the top - please post a couple of pictures of the underside.
Also post a picture of the full side view.

When I say contradictory this is what I mean:
The 'picture' on top appears to be Oriental/Asian while the design on the side seems to a German Swastika (although backwards in your picture).
I do not believe the two would be on the same piece but perhaps many years ago this could have happened.
The wording about the company has 'This Cabinet made by...' and I'm not sure this would have been called a cabinet.
Maybe with a little more information and pictures someone will find something beneficial.

Hopefully, another member, Pghgirl, will see this and make some comments as she has a lot more knowledge about 'strange' furniture.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice General AdviceOctober 28, 2013
😷
🎃
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-for-Your-Antique-Furniture.html