Identifying Antique Chairs

Category Antiques
Identifying the age and value of antique chairs can be difficult especially if there are no markings identifying the manufacturer. Careful research may yield helpful information. Professional appraisers are an option as well. This is a page about identifying antique chairs.

Can you tell me anything about this chair? I recently purchased a pair at an estate sale.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Answers

Best Answer

The M.C.A. is the name of the company and the 161 is the style/model number.

• These are interesting chairs.
  • The MCA company is German so most information you find will be in German but they do have a distributor/store in the U.S. However, it appears that all they have is new & modern furniture.
  • This style of chair is called by several names but mainly called an arm chair.
  • Also called, library, accent chair, captains, or office desk chair.
  • You may have to seek information from an antique dealer because comparison shopping for this type of piece would never work.
  • You could Google antique shops with your zip code and maybe show a few of them some photos but they may not have any information on this chair.
  • I would suggest you get 2 or 3 appraisals and maybe someone will have some knowledge about these chairs.
  • Here are some links that state "free" appraisal but you should always check to be sure.
  • There is also a link to Barneby's but they charge $17 (usually well worth it).
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Advertisement

• www.barnebys.com/.../

Does anyone know anything about these chairs? They are not quite rocking chairs, more like gliders. I cannot seem to find anything similar online. I also found no markings or a manufacturer name on them, which is not helpful, but figured I would ask. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe this type chair is called a platform glider or a platform rocker and has always been a popular style. Your chairs appear to be quite old but it is difficult to tell with photos.

You may find photos or listings of similar styles but probably not any just like yours so any prices were shown would only be a guess as very minor differences can make a big difference with antique/vintage furniture.

Here are some listings on eBay of similar chairs but without a name or marking they are not really much use when it comes to value but you can see what the public is calling the chairs. (These are only similar as these are Eastlake and Huntzinger makes.)

Here is a link to a Google search that will show you many makers/styles of this chair. www.google.com/search?q=antique+platform+glider...

If you want to know more about your chairs I would suggest you post a question to one of the free antique appraisal sites as they can give you a lot of free information. Just be sure to upload several photos and especially side views. Here are a couple of links to get you started.

www.valuemystuff.com/.../how-it-works

dealers.antiquesnavigator.com/.../

I don't know anything about this rocking chair that I bought at a yard sale. I am trying to find any info about it.

Answers

Look underneath the cushion and under the chair for identifying markings. It is much harder to value the chair without them.

I have just bought 4 of these chairs would like to know their era or any info if you can help please.

Many thanks.

Answers

They look like they are from the early 20th century

I have had this chair for about 30 years and before that it belonged to the aunt of one of my friends. I had it reupholstered years ago.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Would it be considered a Bergere Victorian style? Any thoughts on its age or value?

Answers

Nice chair!! Looks comfy!!

First, does the chair have any markings--they would be on the bottom most likely? If not, it will be harder to give a lot of info...but I will tell you my thoughts.

I do not consider this a Bergere Victorian style because my understanding of this style is that all of the wood (around the back) would have to be exposed--like the example in the wiki--shows, which yours is not:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Berg%C3%A8re

I could be being too literal, but that is my understanding.

It definitely has a Victorian flair to it...and I were going to sell it and didn't have a maker or a year, I would call it vintage Victorian.

As to dating it...without a maker, it is hard to date it because there are styles and originals and remakes...so technically, if you had it for 30 years (going back to 1988) it could have been newer then...made to look like an old style.

The hard part about researching chairs for a non expert (I am not at the expert stage by any stretch...I am past novice, but no where near expert)...is that you will have almost an impossible time matching a SOLD version of your chair to any sold piece on any auction site...

I say this because 1 your recovered it, and two, chairs take a beating and there could have been more gingerbread trim that is missing and was repaired and replaced on yours (or on a close version on a website).

You can study this site to see if you can learn more about your piece by looking for like pieces (something I usually do not recommend but in this case it is the only tool available to you if you don't know exact history):

www.chairish.com/search?page_size=96&q=victorian+arm...

Perhaps an antique dealer could look at it and tell you exactly what it is and when it was made...but I am betting they may just be giving you their best guesstimate.

I wish I could be of more help...but I do hope at least the chairish website can help you learn more.

Good luck!! Thanks for sharing!!

PS if you do learn more and get a name and date, I can certainly help you with trying to value it...but I work best with facts...like names and dates!! Thanks!

Im not sure of the style. You need to know who manufactured it. Look at the bottom and under the cushions for identifying markings

My grandparents has similar furniture, which I'm sure they acquired in the early 1920s. I think it's beautiful!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I wish it had a manufacturer or some identifying feature but.. back in the day, when I had it reupholstered, I didnt have the antique value on my mind and didnt consider looking for identifying features. I do know that it had at least 40 years of wear before I took ownership of it. It belonged to an elderly Aunt of a good friend. That would put it at least into the 1950s. I will keep doing my research and hopefully will be able to narrow it down a little bit more. It does have some detailing in the woodwork that may help. I think I may also have a side view of the chair taken before it was refinished. Thanks again for the info and the websites that you have shared. I appreciate your help!

Thank you for your response. I wish I could, however, I had it refinished many years ago and didnt think to do that at the time.
The bottom of the chair was also recovered so it does not have any visible markings. I know its at least 70 years old but... not sure how much older beyond that it is.
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks so much for your response. I do think it is a beautiful piece. Im thinking about having it refinished again. It has taken a beating in the last few years.
Im guessing that your 1920s estimate is about right. I know its at least 70 years old... just not sure how much older beyond that!
Thanks again. Have a great day!

Thanks for the additional info!! If I am able, I will try to figure out some more on this....it fascinates me as it is so lovely!! If I learn anything, I will repost!! Thanks again for sharing!!

Any idea on how old these chairs are? I don't know much about them, but they are in pristine condition?

I recently received a quote to reupholster some chairs and was curious as to whether or not it was worth the investment?

Answers

Who manufactured these chairs? Will you reduce the value of you re-upholster them? You need to find this out. Assuming they are not valuable, if the frame is solid and you like them, it is probably a good investment to reupholster them

I believe these Kimball Victorian chairs or a nice reproduction.

www.ebay.com/.../292709669580?hash=item4426db1acc...

They are quite valuable as you can see this one sold for a very tidy sum!!

If they are the real thing, they are quite valuable, at least where I am, and I would not recommend reupholstering them if you are thinking about selling them in the future.

If they were mibe, I would take the chairs or good photos to a reputable antique dealer and have them confirm what they are and if it is better to keep them intact.

Post back what you learn! They are quite lovely!!!

Yes thank you! I started looking a little closer at them, after I made this post.
I believe you are correct. The word Victorian is imprinted on the back left leg of each.

After creating this post , I looked at the chairs a little closer.
I believe they are Kimball Victorian mahogany, mid 20th sentry.

I believe you have a pair of Kimball lady and gentleman's Victorian parlor chairs. Your lady's chair is the most unusual.
This style is also sometimes listed under other styles; such as Hollywood Regency.

You should look on the bottom of your chairs as they hopefully will have some paperwork stapled on the seat or wood bottom.
I feel sure these are genuine (but they could be reproductions made by Kimballs's in the 1970's) as usually the "fake" ones are in styles that would sell for a lot more money as most likely these are from the 1950-60's but are still usually selling for a nice chunk of money.

• Generally these will sell for more money when offered by high end antique stores (even these stores sell on eBay). One reason items like this sell for more money when offered by dealers is because people many times feel they can rely on the dealers knowledge of the style/type of piece offered.
  • Another reason is because many feel the dealers will know how to ship the item safely (unless it is pick-up only).
  • Most small sellers will have to list as "pick up only" and this limits their marketing area to a "Craigslist" field. Not that this is really bad but it does narrow the market field and many times the value. Take a look at this listing and you will see the difference in a "professional" listing compared to the ordinary seller.
  • www.ebay.com/.../223177348207?_trkparms=aid%3D222007...
  • If you do any research for your chairs you will find there is a wide difference in the styles - number of tuffs in the back / front seat style / arm styles / wood designs / (most leg styles are the same) / material / condition.
  • www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm...
  • This just means that valuing your chairs will have to be done mostly by your research and by personal sight of your chairs. It is very difficult to tell the condition of furniture from most regular pictures.
  • If you plan to sell your chairs anytime in the future then you definitely should not have them redone as this would lower the value. It would not matter if they were redone in the same type of material or how good a job - it would reduce the chair's value considerably.
  • I'm not sure if you wish to change the overall look but you cannot change the Victorian look so it may just be a new color/condition you are after so that would be a personal choice.
  • You can always check out the chairs that are listed for sale on eBay (ignore asking prices and only use sold prices for truer value) but you can place a watch on similar chairs to see if they sell. These items change daily/weekly so you may have to check frequently if you are interested in the selling prices of similar chairs.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...
  • There will always be a difference in asking and sold prices mainly because many sellers do not know the true value of their pieces or they just want a quick sale or the area they live in is not conducive to this type of furniture (most areas will not be into this style of furniture).

You have an amazing set of chairs! If you are going to love them and don't care about resell value, enjoy and get them done. If you care about value, leave them be and maybe consider a lovely throw to get them to your aesthetic need until you decide to sell. There are no rules here. Just facts for you to have good info and make decisions that meet your needs!

I just got these chairs and was trying to find out the age of the chairs and what they are worth. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't see any maker's mark. Does anyone know what type of chair this is or about when it was made?
Thanks.

I have searched all over the internet trying to identify this chair and am at a loss. If anyone can provide any information I would greatly appreciate it.

I have two antique chairs, but cannot find out anything about them. I would like to know their era.

Please help.

This chair has been in my family for over 80 years and is in very good condition. I was wondering if it is Queen Anne, Louis XV, or French Country style? I've heard it called all three. Also, what is something like this worth?

Can someone help me identify this old chair? The upholstery is original.

I recently received this chair from my grandmother, who said she got it from her grandfather and that it sat in the White House at some point. She has dementia, so she could be completely wrong, but it made me curious. It's built with wooden screws.

Any help would be appreciated!

How old do you think these chairs are?

Can anyone identify this chair please? It is solid oak.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesFebruary 13, 2018
🎂
🎃
🌻