Identifying Antique Chairs

Category Antiques
Identifying the age and value of antique chairs can be difficult especially if there are no markings identifying the manufacturer. Careful research may yield helpful information. Professional appraisers are an option as well. This is a page about identifying antique chairs.

I have 2 of these chairs. Who is the maker and what is their time frame?

Answers

Best Answer

Great piece! I can see why it is a challenge to ID it!! It is an neat mix of mission and craftsman with a slight Victorian flare to it! Are you in the UK? It has an European look to it.

My guess (and this is just from photos which is always a challenge because you can't see, touch, feel the piece), but from pictures it appears to be a 1920s-40s piece.

If you have two, they may be master seats from a dining set, although the arms are a little thick for that...so they could also have been banker/library/lawyer chairs.

Since this pieces may have some value to them, I suggest having a good and reputable vintage/antique dealer look them over and tell you what you have.

If you are asking to sell, they can help with values for where you are located!!

Please post back with what you learn!

Can anyone tell me about this chair that was passed down in my family?

Answers

Best Answer

Wow! This is neat!

Do you know the approximate age? It appears old, but often there are new chairs made to look old.

Are you in the US? This looks like a South Asian gentleman (elder maybe) face smoking a hookah, which I find so unusual.

I am familiar with what we see in the US of chairs with carved faces of the North Wind and there is a popular theme of sailors with pipes, but this is quite unique.

My best suggestion would be to find a good vintage/antique store and take it there to see what you have and the value (if you are looking to sell).

I did a little digging since I found it so unusual and there is nothing I can find in any of my sources (most are US based so that may be why they aren't helpful).

My other thought is it may be hand made/hand carved, which depending on where you are located and the artist, could add value to it.

Since I love to learn about unusual pieces, I would be most grateful if you would post back what you learn!

Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell me anything about this chair? I recently purchased a pair at an estate sale.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Answers

Best Answer

The M.C.A. is the name of the company and the 161 is the style/model number.

• These are interesting chairs.
  • The MCA company is German so most information you find will be in German but they do have a distributor/store in the U.S. However, it appears that all they have is new & modern furniture.
  • This style of chair is called by several names but mainly called an arm chair.
  • Also called, library, accent chair, captains, or office desk chair.
  • You may have to seek information from an antique dealer because comparison shopping for this type of piece would never work.
  • You could Google antique shops with your zip code and maybe show a few of them some photos but they may not have any information on this chair.
  • I would suggest you get 2 or 3 appraisals and maybe someone will have some knowledge about these chairs.
  • Here are some links that state "free" appraisal but you should always check to be sure.
  • Advertisement

• There is also a link to Barneby's but they charge $17 (usually well worth it).
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

Does anyone know anything about these chairs? They are not quite rocking chairs, more like gliders. I cannot seem to find anything similar online. I also found no markings or a manufacturer name on them, which is not helpful, but figured I would ask. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe this type chair is called a platform glider or a platform rocker and has always been a popular style. Your chairs appear to be quite old but it is difficult to tell with photos.

You may find photos or listings of similar styles but probably not any just like yours so any prices were shown would only be a guess as very minor differences can make a big difference with antique/vintage furniture.

Here are some listings on eBay of similar chairs but without a name or marking they are not really much use when it comes to value but you can see what the public is calling the chairs. (These are only similar as these are Eastlake and Huntzinger makes.)

Here is a link to a Google search that will show you many makers/styles of this chair. www.google.com/search?q=antique+platform+glider...

If you want to know more about your chairs I would suggest you post a question to one of the free antique appraisal sites as they can give you a lot of free information. Just be sure to upload several photos and especially side views. Here are a couple of links to get you started.
www.valuemystuff.com/.../how-it-works

dealers.antiquesnavigator.com/.../

I don't know anything about this rocking chair that I bought at a yard sale. I am trying to find any info about it.

Does anything know anything about these chairs? I have two of them. They are very heavy and I believe they are antique. They have had new fabric put on the cushions. Any information would be helpful.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally on the bottom of the chairs or etched in the metal there should be some sort of name of who has made these. You need to check this out and look at the chairs to see what type of marking these have. If you can't find any marking then your next step would be to contact an antique dealer they will help you out. Without more information to search for it is hard to help out like this.

I just picked up this Victorian rocker which I believe is from around the 1850s. Any info or approximate value appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

This is an excellent site. I saw a set of chairs that looks similar to yours sold here. I can not find the selling price because you need to subscribe and join the site if you are interested in seeing how much they sell for. If you are interested please check out this site. www.carters.com.au/.../. I saw the 2 chairs on the 4th roll down.

This is another site that they will give you an appraisal on. You will need to upload an image and it takes 24 to 48 hours. I read over the site and it does not say that they charge you for the appraisal. mearto.com/.../antique-rocking-chairs

I have just bought 4 of these chairs would like to know their era or any info if you can help please.

Many thanks.

Answers

They look like they are from the early 20th century

I have had this chair for about 30 years and before that it belonged to the aunt of one of my friends. I had it reupholstered years ago. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Would it be considered a Bergere Victorian style? Any thoughts on its age or value?

Answers

Nice chair!! Looks comfy!!

First, does the chair have any markings--they would be on the bottom most likely? If not, it will be harder to give a lot of info...but I will tell you my thoughts.

I do not consider this a Bergere Victorian style because my understanding of this style is that all of the wood (around the back) would have to be exposed--like the example in the wiki--shows, which yours is not:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Berg%C3%A8re

I could be being too literal, but that is my understanding.

It definitely has a Victorian flair to it...and I were going to sell it and didn't have a maker or a year, I would call it vintage Victorian.

As to dating it...without a maker, it is hard to date it because there are styles and originals and remakes...so technically, if you had it for 30 years (going back to 1988) it could have been newer then...made to look like an old style.

The hard part about researching chairs for a non expert (I am not at the expert stage by any stretch...I am past novice, but no where near expert)...is that you will have almost an impossible time matching a SOLD version of your chair to any sold piece on any auction site...

I say this because 1 your recovered it, and two, chairs take a beating and there could have been more gingerbread trim that is missing and was repaired and replaced on yours (or on a close version on a website).

You can study this site to see if you can learn more about your piece by looking for like pieces (something I usually do not recommend but in this case it is the only tool available to you if you don't know exact history):

www.chairish.com/search?page_size=96&q=victorian+arm...

Perhaps an antique dealer could look at it and tell you exactly what it is and when it was made...but I am betting they may just be giving you their best guesstimate.

I wish I could be of more help...but I do hope at least the chairish website can help you learn more.

Good luck!! Thanks for sharing!!

PS if you do learn more and get a name and date, I can certainly help you with trying to value it...but I work best with facts...like names and dates!! Thanks!

Im not sure of the style. You need to know who manufactured it. Look at the bottom and under the cushions for identifying markings

My grandparents has similar furniture, which I'm sure they acquired in the early 1920s. I think it's beautiful!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I wish it had a manufacturer or some identifying feature but.. back in the day, when I had it reupholstered, I didnt have the antique value on my mind and didnt consider looking for identifying features. I do know that it had at least 40 years of wear before I took ownership of it. It belonged to an elderly Aunt of a good friend. That would put it at least into the 1950s. I will keep doing my research and hopefully will be able to narrow it down a little bit more. It does have some detailing in the woodwork that may help. I think I may also have a side view of the chair taken before it was refinished. Thanks again for the info and the websites that you have shared. I appreciate your help!

Thank you for your response. I wish I could, however, I had it refinished many years ago and didnt think to do that at the time.
The bottom of the chair was also recovered so it does not have any visible markings. I know its at least 70 years old but... not sure how much older beyond that it is.
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks so much for your response. I do think it is a beautiful piece. Im thinking about having it refinished again. It has taken a beating in the last few years.
Im guessing that your 1920s estimate is about right. I know its at least 70 years old... just not sure how much older beyond that!
Thanks again. Have a great day!

Thanks for the additional info!! If I am able, I will try to figure out some more on this....it fascinates me as it is so lovely!! If I learn anything, I will repost!! Thanks again for sharing!!

Any idea on how old these chairs are? I don't know much about them, but they are in pristine condition?

I recently received a quote to reupholster some chairs and was curious as to whether or not it was worth the investment?

I picked this up at a flea market near the border between Germany and France. Anyone have any information?

This chair was handed down through the family for at least 100 yrs. Can you tell me anything about it?

I just got these chairs and was trying to find out the age of the chairs and what they are worth. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesFebruary 13, 2018
🌻
🐰
🍀