Identifying a Coffee Table

Category Collectibles
Identifying the manufacturer and value of furniture that you inherit or stumble across at antique stores and yard sales can sometimes be a challenge. This is a guide about identifying a coffee table.

I'd appreciate a hand identifying the origin and rough date (and perhaps restored value?) of a coffee and side table set I stumbled across. The set I have is in pieces and in need of a fair amount of TLC (see pic).

That said, I did manage to find pictures online (without any identification, unfortunately) of what appears to be the same table in much better condition and those pictures are attached.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

You will have to look underneath the table for a manufacturer's marking. It will be impossible to identify this table without it.

It's beautiful! The only ones similar to it I'm finding are unmarked.

Look around the whole thing for any type of markings.

Finding the value of a table.

Step 1
Go over the table for marks or numbers you need the manufacturer's name.

Step 2
Then go on e-bay and punch in the name and any information on your table.

Step 3
This link might help you identify your table as well www.thehoarde.com/

I found this coffee table at a yard sale. There are no markings or stamps as to where it came from or who made it. Is this a Mersman table?

Answers

Mersman tables are clearly marked, so this table has been manufactured by someone else.

It has really nice mid century modern lines....my personal fav!! There is one very similar on an auction website, but it doesn't have the maker. I will paste the link at the end. If you think yours matches (they give measurements), maybe if you contact them they will give you more info on theirs to help you figure out if you have a match!

www.rhlee.com/.../

Mersman furniture is usually always marked very clearly so I would say it is not a Mersman.
Your table may not be very old as it has metal glides/taps on the leg ends and these usually indicate a newer model as well as a maybe less expensive piece.
I believe the metal glides may have started in the 1960's which could be determined as "mid-century".

• Of course, that does not mean very much if you plan to refurbish it for your own use.
  • If you plan to sell it then it may not bring a very high resale price but since it is an unusual design this may have some influence on the true value.
  • You should look very closely on the bottom again as sometimes the markings get fainter with age and are difficult to see.
  • With no markings it would be difficult to identify a brand name as the same table may have been produced by one company and sold under different names to several resale companies.
  • Ad

• You can do some research and you may find similar tables so you can get a better idea of value (but only actual sold prices mean very much).
  • Research sites like Google, eBay, Etsy for the greater chance of seeing something similar.
  • Here is one listing on eBay that looks similar to yours but it is in pretty good condition and it is also a Duncan Phyfe which means a lot in furniture.
  • www.ebay.com/.../302751698717?hash=item467d684f1d...
  • You will notice that it is set up for "pick up only" which means it would be sold in the area it is located (similar to a listing on Craigslist).
  • I cannot tell from the picture if your table has leather inserts or if that is veneer but either way it may be difficult to repair.

I hope it is something you will enjoy refinishing and using in your home as it is a nice design.