Value of a Coffee Table

I would like to sell this glass top opium leg coffee table, but I can not find similar ones. The ones I found are without glass. Does anyone know how old it might be and how much it is worth?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Lovely piece. I very much doubt it is teak. To me the colors are not right for teak. It may be oak.

I found several examples of pieces similar yours by searching Asian Inspired coffee table on line, a second search also worked using Ming Inspired coffee table, the one that found one that is almost identical to yours was this search (James Mont Inspired Coffee Table)

dejavudecors.com/.../coffee-table-james-mont-inspired

The last one looks very much like yours but with a wood panel top. If you don't know the history of yours, there is always the possibility that the glass panels were an add on by the previous owner.

I find this quite often in furniture, when you can't find an exact match, if you dig deep enough, you often find the piece is a "franken" piece meaning the owner customized it to his/her taste.

I could not be positive that this happened to yours as there are those with glass tops that are similar to yours, although when you look at the samples using the different searches, you will see most glass is different than yours.

The other thing is yours could have been clear glass, which broke and this is replacement glass.

For age, there have been several resurgences of Asian furniture being popular in the US. I am pegging yours (just based on gut instinct about it) as being a late 1980s early 1990s piece.

If you are trying to sell, the best way to figure out a value for your market is to see if you can find something similar for sale in a local vintage shop. That will give you retail value.

If you are going to sell it on your own, you can expect to get 1/4 to 1/2 of "retail".

You will see that some of the national sites like Chairish have prices on these in the high $500 range. You can never tell if they sell at that price because they don't offer a sold section like eBay does. Their mark ups are huge so I truly never go by those values in trying to set my own. I always use local examples.

Thanks for sharing the piece!! It is really pretty!

Answer this Question

3 More Questions

I bought this online and paid a pretty penny for it. I was told the brand is Empire, but I can't find any markings on it. It's mahogany wood, the table top swivels, expands, and has a compartment inside. The feet are all on wheels.

Any thoughts on value or if it's even Empire?

Answers

Best Answer

Here is one on eBay that is similar to yours but the top is rounded and the bottom of the table design is not there. Take a look at this table. www.ebay.com/.../123816309545?hash=item1cd406f329...

This site has a lot of Empie tables but none of them are yours. www.1stdibs.com/.../

I would actually ask a dealer about this table. If the seller is right then you are OK. There are a lot of people who do sell replicas online and claim they are the originals. To be on the safe side have it looked at now. You can always file a complaint and try to get back your money if the sell mislead you in any way.

Best Answer

There was a brand of furniture called Empire Furniture Company out of West Virginia in the early 1900s. They did use mahogany and cherry for their furniture, which it appears your may be (or it could just be a mahogany/cherry stain--hard to tell from photos.

Here is a link to that company's history:

www.herald-dispatch.com/.../article_003e6f51-b919-5392-8b20-8d477b65c323...

I found your exact table (maybe even the exact one you purchased) at this site:

bbbantiques.com/.../

They call it 19th century empire STYLE, not BRAND.

American Empire STYLE is furniture that was primarily made in the 1800s by a variety of companies who were intimidating French neoclassical lines. There is a whole wiki on the topic:

en.wikipedia.org/.../American_Empire_style

So what do you have?

It is hard to tell. If the link above is your exact item, I would say you have an unbranded 19th century empire STYLE piece (that is just stunning by the way).

If that is the case (and this company is reputable and accurate in their identification), then it is almost impossible it was made by the Empire Furniture Company (since they did not open until very early in the 20th century).

With old furniture it is often a huge challenge even for the most expert seller to know exactly what is what because things hand made, were manufactured but did not have tags or there were tags (usually metal) that fell off or were removed along the way or burned in branding was sanded or stained over during a repair.

If you feel you were cheated in your purchase or that you got misinformation, I would contact a reputable appraiser in your town and have them examine the piece and determine exactly what you have and the value.

The one that sold on the site I gave was 2,495.00. I was not able to find a comparable sold one on any other site. Similar tables are all over the price in value from 100 to 3000, but with unusual pieces like this, I hesitate to use similar as comparable because some brands and styles have less street value than others, and condition plays a HUGE part in pricing.

Also the most critical thing to remember is furniture values are based on many things with the first being location and second being supply and demand. Something that sells in Pittsburgh for 100 dollars may sell in California for 1000 or more. Something that sells in New York may sell for 500 and 5,000 in Arizona.

High supplies and low demands drive prices down, while low supply and high demand drive them up.

Furniture values are also based heavily on condition and yours appears to be in nice shape. I have seen quite valuable pieces that would otherwise sell for a 1000 go for 100 because it had a terrible stink of cigarette smoke. There are just so many factors to set value to a piece it is NOT cut and dried.

I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but I hope it at least helps get you started in the right direction.

Please post back with updates and if I can, I will try to help. Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

I have a Mersman 72 43 coffee table and I can not find it online. Can you give me some information on this and it's value?

Answers

This is a larger and more unusual piece. From what I have seen, I think it is worth in the $200 range.

The Mersman numbering is the wonkiest I have ever seen so the numbers don't tell you much.

From the looks, I would say it is a mid 1970s piece. Sturdy and very functional. These pieces were built to last and they did!

It depends on where you are, how much you can fetch for it. Where I am, it is considered plain old "brown" furniture and has almost no value (I would be lucky to get $25 for it in Pittsburgh). In other parts of the country, they can sell between $100 and $250.

It is all about supply and demand. Where I am there is a huge supply, no demand, so low values.

If you are in a low supply, high demand area you could fetch on the high end.

You would be best served by calling around to a few local vintage furniture dealers in your town and asking about them consigning it or buying it outright. This way you will be up on the values in your area.

Post back what city you are in and what you learn!

Thanks for sharing!!

Answer this Question

Cantilevered style chairs and tables are a hallmark of the furniture designed by Lou Hodges in the mid 20th century. This is a page about finding the value of a Lou Hodges glass top coffee table.

Value of Lou Hodges Glass Top Coffee Table  - oak tables

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureDecember 9, 2019
🎄
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Coffee-Table.html