Value of a Coffee Table

Here is some helpful information if you are looking to find the value of a coffee table. The more information you can gather such as manufacturer and style will be useful in your search.

I would like to sell this glass top opium leg coffee table, but I can not find similar ones. The ones I found are without glass. Does anyone know how old it might be and how much it is worth?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Lovely piece. I very much doubt it is teak. To me the colors are not right for teak. It may be oak.

I found several examples of pieces similar yours by searching Asian Inspired coffee table on line, a second search also worked using Ming Inspired coffee table, the one that found one that is almost identical to yours was this search (James Mont Inspired Coffee Table)

dejavudecors.com/.../coffee-table-james-mont-inspired

The last one looks very much like yours but with a wood panel top. If you don't know the history of yours, there is always the possibility that the glass panels were an add on by the previous owner.

I find this quite often in furniture, when you can't find an exact match, if you dig deep enough, you often find the piece is a "franken" piece meaning the owner customized it to his/her taste.

I could not be positive that this happened to yours as there are those with glass tops that are similar to yours, although when you look at the samples using the different searches, you will see most glass is different than yours.

The other thing is yours could have been clear glass, which broke and this is replacement glass.

For age, there have been several resurgences of Asian furniture being popular in the US. I am pegging yours (just based on gut instinct about it) as being a late 1980s early 1990s piece.

If you are trying to sell, the best way to figure out a value for your market is to see if you can find something similar for sale in a local vintage shop. That will give you retail value.

If you are going to sell it on your own, you can expect to get 1/4 to 1/2 of "retail".

You will see that some of the national sites like Chairish have prices on these in the high $500 range. You can never tell if they sell at that price because they don't offer a sold section like eBay does. Their mark ups are huge so I truly never go by those values in trying to set my own. I always use local examples.

Thanks for sharing the piece!! It is really pretty!

I have a Mersman 72 43 coffee table and I can not find it online. Can you give me some information on this and it's value?

Answers

This is a larger and more unusual piece. From what I have seen, I think it is worth in the $200 range.

The Mersman numbering is the wonkiest I have ever seen so the numbers don't tell you much.

From the looks, I would say it is a mid 1970s piece. Sturdy and very functional. These pieces were built to last and they did!

It depends on where you are, how much you can fetch for it. Where I am, it is considered plain old "brown" furniture and has almost no value (I would be lucky to get $25 for it in Pittsburgh). In other parts of the country, they can sell between $100 and $250.

It is all about supply and demand. Where I am there is a huge supply, no demand, so low values.

If you are in a low supply, high demand area you could fetch on the high end.

You would be best served by calling around to a few local vintage furniture dealers in your town and asking about them consigning it or buying it outright. This way you will be up on the values in your area.

Post back what city you are in and what you learn!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cantilevered style chairs and tables are a hallmark of the furniture designed by Lou Hodges in the mid 20th century. This is a page about finding the value of a Lou Hodges glass top coffee table.

Value of Lou Hodges Glass Top Coffee Table  - oak tables

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureDecember 9, 2019
🎉
🎄

Generated 2019-12-13 16:07:50 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️