Vintage FurnitureFurniture

Value of an Opium Leg Coffee Table

I would like to sell this glass top opium leg coffee table, but I can not find similar ones. The ones I found are without glass. Does anyone know how old it might be and how much it is worth?

Thank you.

You need to find out who manufactured the table. This is a popular design and could have been made in the 1970s to the 1990s. Look for identifying marks.

If this is teak wood then it is woth a lot more than other woods. I see one that is a teak wood coffee that is the same model but has a different tabletop than the one you have selling for $700.

I have seen several of them listed for various prices but yours is made in the USA so the price comparison would not be the same. These made in India are a lot more expensive than the ones I saw listed and made in the USA.

I am not sure what kind of wood is. It has black sort of dots.

Lovely piece. I very much doubt it is teak. To me the colors are not right for teak. It may be oak.

I found several examples of pieces similar yours by searching Asian Inspired coffee table on line, a second search also worked using Ming Inspired coffee table, the one that found one that is almost identical to yours was this search (James Mont Inspired Coffee Table)

dejavudecors.com/.../coffee-table-james-mont-inspired

The last one looks very much like yours but with a wood panel top. If you don't know the history of yours, there is always the possibility that the glass panels were an add on by the previous owner.

I find this quite often in furniture, when you can't find an exact match, if you dig deep enough, you often find the piece is a "franken" piece meaning the owner customized it to his/her taste.

I could not be positive that this happened to yours as there are those with glass tops that are similar to yours, although when you look at the samples using the different searches, you will see most glass is different than yours.

The other thing is yours could have been clear glass, which broke and this is replacement glass.

For age, there have been several resurgences of Asian furniture being popular in the US. I am pegging yours (just based on gut instinct about it) as being a late 1980s early 1990s piece.

If you are trying to sell, the best way to figure out a value for your market is to see if you can find something similar for sale in a local vintage shop. That will give you retail value.

If you are going to sell it on your own, you can expect to get 1/4 to 1/2 of "retail".

You will see that some of the national sites like Chairish have prices on these in the high $500 range. You can never tell if they sell at that price because they don't offer a sold section like eBay does. Their mark ups are huge so I truly never go by those values in trying to set my own. I always use local examples.

Thanks for sharing the piece!! It is really pretty!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureNovember 4, 2019
🍂
🎄