Identifying Age and Style of Chair?

I bought this chair at an auction about 10 years ago because I liked it. However, I have no idea how old it might be or even what style it is. I would appreciate any help with those questions. Thank you.

I believe this is a Victorian era "gothic" Jacobean-style armchair, which could be worth $500 or more. (The newer upholstery fabric is in stark contrast to the style. Originally this would have been solid, in perhaps a jewel-tone.) I love the puppies on the armrests! Lions were frequently featured, but I think dogs are more suitable for the country-house or club where this chair might have felt at home.

There are many makers of such piece of furniture. There are antiques and also newer brands that are made to look antique. To be sure of it's origin , you would need to contact a professional. Here is a look at a antique that sold for $1200. www.worthgalleries.com/carved-antique-lions-head-arm-chair also this one- mybios.me/.../ - Try this link to answer your question- https://www.justanswer.com

The style is from the 1890s. This one is asking over $3000.
www.google.com/.../

I would ask an antiques dealer if I were you.

I don't think the carvings are lions. They look like King Cavalier Spaniels (dogs). Does the upholstery come off? It looks like a very modern addition.

I would like to see the bones of the chair to figure out if it is an Edwardian era (19011910) chair or a modern reproduction.

What kind of springs does it have? How is it stuffed? Can you tell if it is joined by screws or dowels and if screws can you share a photo of the heads?

It is unusual as most dogs on chairs are hounds. I would love to learn more and maybe offer more assistance.

Post back with more photos if you can!

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your help. The fabric does not come off the upper part, but the seat and arms have two layers of fabric, with the top layer coming off because it is fastened with Velcro.

I do not see any screws. The carvings are dogs or something close to a dog, definitely not a lion. I have attached more photos.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureFebruary 12, 2021
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Age-and-Style-of-Chair.html