Antique Brass Bed Information

Category Antiques
Finding information about an antique brass bed, such as age or manufacturer can be difficult. This is a guide about antique brass bed information.

I purchased a very old brass bed, queen size, that is at least 100 years old, judging by the support frames. It has very high posts on the headboard, and lower ones on the footboard. The shape is angular, but with round posts and spindles. The finials are not round, but almost mushroom shape. I've never seen one exactly like it. Anyone know anything about this style?

Answers

I would look for some kind of marking. It will make it much easier to identify it.

If you are looking for information about your bed, I would basically start online and check out this website. It will help you to identify your bed and tell you about the different antique bed designs. You can always take a photo of your bed and they will be more than happy to help you with more information. https://www.lov  e-beds/knowledge

I am trying to help someone identify an antique bed. Its full-size has the original Springs.

I have two twin antique brass beds in very good condition with original coil springs. They were manufactured by Whitcomb Metallic Bedstead Co. out of Shelton Conn. I am moving and need to sell the. I am trying to establish their value.

Thank you!

Answers

This auction was from 2010. It was estimated as between $75 and $100. www.liveauctioneers.com/.../7642047_1268-whitcomb-metallic-bedstead...

Value can only be determined by recent sales of exact or very, very similar items as well as where the items are sold (where located in US) and I have not found any recent sales of anything similar. I did find several closed auctions for several years ago but did not find an actual sale price.

There are some twin brass beds listed on eBay and other sites for $300-$700 but no evidence of any sales in any recent months.

These would be costly to ship so you may have to try and locate something similar that has sold in your area. You can check local sale sites (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, USA4Sale and other sites) to see how many are listed in your area to get a feel for how rare or how plentiful they are.

Your best bet, especially if you wish to sell in short time, would be to find a medium to large auction house and take your beds for them to sell.
This will cost you some of your profit (if sold) but that may be where you will receive the most even then.

You can also ask for a free appraisal and that knowledge may help you sell for more money but it may not help you sell them quickly (or at all).

If you decide to ask for an appraisal, you will need better pictures (without the springs) as well as measurements and also any information you have concerning age, etc.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

Hopefully, other members will have better suggestions so be sure to check back.

I have an approximately 40 year old solid brass bed. It was purchased somewhere in New York City for several thousand dollars. I am trying to identify the manufacturer or reseller of this bed so that I can purchase a few small items. I thoroughly examined the bed, but cannot find any markings.

Thank you.

I will upload few images later.

Answers

I would contact a dealer. With no markings it will be difficult to assign value

If there are no markings, you will probably have a heck of a time IDing it.

You can search eBay and other online venues to find (based on the look) similar pieces and price it that way.

Be sure to match it by size (it is a twin, full etc.)?

Is it in good shape?

You say solid, but that would mean the tubes are not hollow, and it would be extremely heavy. I have never seen one like that, but if that is the case, that could add to the value. Most are brass with hollow centers.

Brass is all over the price in value from $5 up to the hundreds.

Those that are high value are name brands with very intricate patterns. Yours is moderately intricate so if you don't have the patience to figure out what exactly you have, start it at $300 and take best offer.

Just from my knowledge, you may have to settle for $50 to $100 without any provenance if it is a twin or full and $100 to $150 if it is a queen or king...just because the second hand market for most everything is very soft at the moment.

Post back what you learn and if you sell and for how much.

Best wishes!

Can someone help me identify this brass/iron bed? The bed headboard and footboard are vintage, maybe antique. I have scoured the internet and have yet to find anything remotely looking like this design. I am totally stumped. It's awesome, but I would love to know the manufacturer and a general date it was from. I'm cleaning it now, but have yet to find any identifying marks. Thanks so much!

By Pattie McIntyre