Using A Featherbed Topper

Adding a feather bed topper to your bed can make it much more comfortable. Feather bed toppers not only make the bed softer but help regulate your body temperature in warm and cool conditions. This is a guide about using a featherbed topper.

I have a feather mattress as well as feather pillows. Any suggestions on getting the feather mattress to actually stay on the bed? It slides off during the night.

Jen from Central Florida

Answers

You could try getting the non-slip matting that is put under area rugs and putting it between the feather mattress and the rest of the bed.

Please tell me about feather beds, the under sheets, the over sheets and how to clean.

Thanks for any help!

Sandra

Answers

By Dee K. (Guest Post)

I have had a featherbed on every one of my beds in the house for over 25 years. I absolutely LOVE them. But, I can't stress enough, if you purchase a featherbed, ALWAYS buy the cover for it. It is a zippered giant pillowcase for the bed and is easily removed and cleaned. Even if you use the deep bottom sheets with the featherbed underneath, you still need to have the cover for the featherbed as an added protection, because the featherbed itself is not easily cleaned.

I put a mattress cover on the mattress, then the featherbed with cover, then the bottom sheet, top sheet, organic cotton blanket, feather quilt with duvet cover and I'm all set for Winter. We always sleep with the windows open at night, no matter how cold. We hardly ever get colds, flu, etc. Maybe that's the reason???
Hope you enjoy your featherbed, but like I said, spend the extra money for the cover. It will save you in the long run and you will have many, many years of comfort and hardly any hassles.

By Alice (Guest Post)

I have done all that,but had a leak that went through both sheet and cover. Should I just toss it and buy another one?

By jacqueline (Guest Post)

i need to know how or what to do in order to clean my feather bed, i can't put it inot the wash machine..right?? Do i need to take it to the dry cleaners to be thoroughly cleaned??

By tara (Guest Post)

I know this sounds weird but if you can find a washer large enough same with dryer you can wash a fether filled item . I found two fether pillows with all down in them at our local dump site. I took them home and even though they had covers on them they absulutly reaked. I was going to take them back when i decided that what could it hurt to wash them even if they were ruined i was not out any thing so I removed the covers and washed it all in hot soapy water. God they looked like crap when they came out but i was determined to keep trying so i put them in the dryer. It seemed to take forever to dry them and it did but once they were dry they were great and i have been using them ever since! I cant say for a fact that it will work with your bedding because that is much much larger than pillows but if by some chance the bed is completly ruined to the point of throwing it away well why not see if you can find something large enough to wash it in? Make sure when you dry it that you completely dry it.

just because you take it out of the dryer and it feels dry dont be fooled wait till it cools down then you can really tell if its dry indeed. hey its better than throwing it out if you cant find any other fix.

By mandy (Guest Post)

my feather blanket says dry clean only but i cant afford that so can i wash it in the washing machine.

By bre (Guest Post)

without having to put my feather bed in the washer, how do i get a throw up stain out of it?

By Albert (Guest Post)

As much as it would benefit you to save money on the cleaning of a featherbed, I would HIGHLY recommend bringing the item back to the seller (if you can) and they should have the resources to have the item thouroughly cleaned.

Down isn't so much a problem as it will clean and fluff pretty good. And considering that mostly pillows are 100% down and for the most part, small; they come out fine in a short amount of time.

Feather BEDS are more of the problem.
The PROBLEM with cleaning it yourself is MOLD.

Mold is easily created and retained in a featherbed and can easily proliferate in such a closed system. This would be recommended especially for the asthmatic persons and pediatric population. Do your research. You get what you put into it.

By sandy (Guest Post)

I have called 4 dry cleaners and they won't clean my feather bed,a dn 3 commercial laundormats won;t do it or let me use their machines! I don't want to get rid of it! The only reason I have ot celan it is because my puppy had an accident on the bed!

By Nikita (Guest Post)

My mom got me a feather bed for my bed and i let my nephew sleep on my bed to take his nap . We also are potty training him so he wet the bed and it went on to my feather bed. So how do i get it out i need help plz!!

By Lori (Guest Post)

I just bought a featherbed and I'm not sure whether to put it under the mattress pad, under the bottom fitted sheet or on top of it....any suggestions?

By Mary,Ann Leitzel (Guest Post)

can i use a feather bed on top of a water bed mattress

By Evy (Guest Post)

Does the feather bed go on top of the fitted sheet or underneath. and also do you need to buy a special case protector.

How do you use a featherbed? Do you use it over the mattress cover or put the cover over the feather bed?

Lois

Answers

I bought a featherbed a couple of years ago, i just put the featherbed on the bare mattress, then put the mattress cover on the featherbed mattress, then wen't ahead and made up the bed as desired. Featherbeds are tricky, they can cause sooo much back pain if you already have a troubled back as i do, that is why i bought the featherbed in the first place. it is much better to use a memory foam mattress pad, they last alot longer, and don't bunch up like the featherbed. Good luck with it, be sure to put some sort of protective barrier on the featherbed as they tend to smell if they get wet. you can get a generic memory foam from overstock.com very, very reasonably

I guess either way will work, but I put the featherbed on top of the mattress cover so each time I change the sheets, I can fluff up the featherbed. And contrary to the other poster, my back pain went away when we got the featherbed. So I guess everyone is different.

I use my feather bed on top of the mattress and put the bottom sheet on top. It is wonderful! So comfy in the winter :-)

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

I just purchased a featherbed and I have a problem with the feathers coming out thru the material. not only is this getting messy, it is making it difficult to sleep on, as the stalks are poking me in the legs. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?

Thanking you in advance,

Lori from CA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Target Sells a mattress pad that will completely cover the mattress it zips around it after you slide it in. It is designed to keep dust mites away from you etc. It will offer some assistance with the feathers. When purchasing a "feather bed" you get the whole feather and will always have this problem. Best to purchase "down" then the fluff is all you get. Much more expensive.

I would approach the store you bought it from. When I was small we always had feather pillows and a feather bed which never shed feathers as the covers were of very fine weave to prevent this. I recently bought 2 feather pillows in Woolworths, (in Australia) and within 2 weeks the feathers were prickling through the cover which was obviously inadequate for the job. I returned the pillows and got a full refund. If the bed cover is not able to keep the feathers inside it is not made of appropriate material and you should return it and get a refund.

Regards

Jo

By Linda (Guest Post)

I had the same problem. I found that an extra sheet over the featherbead, i.e. 2 bottom sheets did the trick.

By Tabatha (Guest Post)

My mother n law bought me and my husband 4 feather and down pillows for our bed. The feathers are coming out also.When we go to sleep at night they poke us and when i go to wash everything on my bed i take the pillows out of the cases and there are pillows everywhere so messy! I am gonna go and buy just down pillows.

I have a Ralph Lauren featherbed topper. Some of the gussets are flat after 2 years of use. How do I rejuvenate it?

By WALLACE WHITMIRE from Houston, TX