Cleaning a Featherbed

It is important to clean a featherbed properly to avoid damaging it and to prevent odors. This page has advice about how to clean a featherbed.

Quick Answer

It is generally recommended that you take featherbeds to a dry cleaner for professional cleaning, however, many people do clean them themselves.
  • Make sure there are no holes in your featherbed for feathers to escape.
  • Wash your featherbed in cold water with gentle detergent in a large front loading washing machine or a top loading washing machine without an agitator. Use a gentle cycle.
  • If your home washing machine isn't large enough, your local laundromat should have one of sufficient size.
  • Put your featherbed along with several tennis balls (4 to 6) into a dryer.
  • Dry on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the featherbed is completely dry.
  • Feathers beds that aren't dried completely may develop bad odors and could result mold growth.
Keep reading for more advice below and let us know what solution worked for you.

I have a down comfortor and a feather bed. The direction says dry clean. I have washed down jackets and vests has anyone had any luck washing comfortors or feather beds.

Jo Anne from NY

Answers

Best Answer

I have been washing my down comforters for years. I have one that is 15 years old that I've washed 2 or 3 times a year. I use warm water and just a small amount of liquid detergent. The secret is the drying. You don't want to use too hot a setting on your dryer. My king size comforter usually takes at least 3 times in the dryer because I use a warm setting on the dryer. It's also important to keep taking the comforter out and putting it back in as it tends to bunch up. I take what was on the inside and make it on the outside. You may find some lumps of feathers. You can just rub them out and put it back in the dryer until the whole thing is dry. I've even line dryed mine halfway through and then fluffed it in the dryer later.

Good luck!!

Best Answer

Hi, I always have washed my down blankets at the laundromat, as they have larger capacity washers. I use the regular cycle and don't use as much soap as you usually would. When drying it is good to add a few clean tennis balls or clean sneakers as it enables the down to be evenly dried and distrubuted.
Judy in NY

Best Answer

We have a "laundry" not far from me and they wash all feather things...mattresses and down comforters. The charge is by the ounce/pound/whatever they use. I have mine done at least once a year(late spring) so it is fresh when it goes back on the bed in the fall.

By Andrea (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I live in a small town with no dry cleaner so I have to wash it myself. I use a gentle detergent that is made for down.

I put a few tennis balls in the washer and dryer. It breaks up the clumps and helps the down to dry faster.

Best Answer

You can wash all of them. Make sure there are no holes or you will be sorry. Wash in cold water with light detergent on a very gentle cycle. Dry on low heat for about 1.5 hours. It says to dryclean only because you bought a cheaper comforter with a water soluable sizing to keep the feathers from popping out. I'm in management for a drycleaner. Trust me.

How do you clean featherbeds? Can you wash them in the washing machine like you can a down comforter?

Cindy

Answers

By Marianne (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If you take them to a laundromat and use the extra large extracting machine it will do the job. I find that clean tennis shoes (4) thrown in as well will fluff up the feathers and it dries in no time.

By Terrie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I had to wash my featherbed recently. While the tag said "dry clean only," I took a risk and "hand" washed it in my bathtub. (That was a sight, let me tell you. Think "Lucy in the grape vat making wine.") If it didn't work, I would've had to buy another anyway. It washed fine, but was very heavy when wet. It was helpful having another person to move it initially. Took forEVER to dry, though. I used the low setting on 35 minutes and took it out and fluffed it between drying sessions (probably about 8 or 9) to evenly distribute the feathers. Worked, though. It's back on my bed, good as new.

In an effort to remove urine stains from my featherbed I soaked it in my tub. I hung it outside to dry, then replaced it on the bed. It has a horrible smell. Is there something I can do to remove the smell?

Sharon from PA

Answers

Best Answer

Hi,
Get some enzyme pet stain remover like Nature's Miracle or PetZyme and soak it again. You can get it at any pet store. Let it sit in there for at least an hour. No need to rinse it out. Hang the feather bed on the line until it is dry. Hopefully, this should get rid of the smell. If you are unable to go through the whole process again, spray it down with the enzyme mixture. The enzymes eat the bacteria that cause the smell.
- Susan

By Kelly (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can also find enzyme stain remover at your local janitor supply store, sometimes cheaper than the pet store.

Where can I take my down featherbed to be professionally cleaned? My child had the flu and vomited on the featherbed and also had a diarrhea accident on it.

Syl from Hayward, CA

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Most dry cleaners will clean a down comforter, I'm sure it the same for a featherbed. These can be washed too, in a large machine, prferable a front-load without a center agitator. Whenh you dry it, throw a few tennis balls into the dryer with it to fluff the down. I always wash my comforter.

Is it possible to remove mildew from a featherbed or duvet?

- Karla

Answers

Best Answer

Hang them on the clothesline in bright sunlight for several hours and it will disappear.