Cleaning Made Simple

Instead of keeping specific cleaning things for specific jobs, I have learned to "generalize" my supplies. So now, I keep on hand the following things for cleaning any room in the house.

1. General cleaner (409 or whatever brand you use): I keep 3 bottles. One in a spray bottle, and 2 larger refill bottles.

2. Window cleaner and paper towels: Again; 3 bottles. One in a spray bottle, and 2 larger refill bottles. I also keep 3 rolls of paper towels, one that is in use, and 2 spares.

3. Scouring powder: 2 cans; one in use, one spare

4. Furniture polish: 2 cans; one in use, one spare

5. Ammonia: 2 bottles; one in use, one spare

6. Disinfectant: 3 cans; one in use, 2 spares

7. WD-40: 2 cans; one in use, one spare

8. Oven cleaner: 2 cans; one in use, one spare

9. Drain opener: 2 cans; one in use, one spare

10. Febreze: 4 bottles; one in use, 3 spares
These 10 items will take care of any household cleaning that needs to be done. I keep spares according to how much the item is used. For instance the general cleaner, window cleaner, and disinfectant are used all over the house and get used up fast so instead of one spare, I keep 2 spares. And the Febreze is used literally everywhere; furniture, drapes, carpets, rugs, etc, so it REALLY gets used up fast.

Cleaning tools:

Now For My Actual Cleaning:

Instead of trying to keep the whole house clean all the time, I've learned to let the house look "lived in". I give one room each day a good general cleaning. Once every 4-6 weeks instead of a good general cleaning, it gets a good thorough cleaning.

The difference being a general cleaning means basically "surface" cleaning. Wiping counters, sinks, tubs, showers. Putting scouring powder in the toilet and swishing with the toilet brush. Cleaning the mirrors. Vacuuming, mopping. Wiping inside appliances. Feather dusting.

Thorough cleaning takes longer. This is when I bring out the big buckets and give everything a good scrubbing. I also get under the sinks and clean, then straighten. This is when I do the windows (insides only, outsides have their own day). Also this is when I bring out the furniture polish and really polish the furniture. I also get down with a pumice stone and really scrub the toilet, followed by a dose of bleach in it to disinfect it.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Editor's Note: Here is Cricketnc's cleaning schedule, posted previously:

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 10, 2014
🎄
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Made-Simple.html