Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Creating a Cleaning Schedule

Woman Cleaning Her Kitchen

Keeping the house clean is an on going task, especially if you have children in your home. Sticking to a cleaning schedule is the best way to keep your home clean and tidy. This is a guide about creating a cleaning schedule.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Two Week Cleaning Plan

I am always reading where people say to clean as we see things that need it. That's a great idea, but sometimes it builds up and takes more organizing to get it done. I am just recovering from a long bout of illness and so my cleaning has been put on a back burner, so to speak. This is my plan to get it all caught up. Notice that I don't list it by rooms, but by type of chore. Like on Day 1, I'll go through the entire house putting things away, and so on down the list. In 2 weeks, my house - which is a total wreck right now (I'm ashamed to say) will be totally clean!

• Day 1: Put things away that have been left out.

• Day 2: Straighten all tables, counters, dresser tops.

• Day 3: Vacuum all carpets and rugs.

• Day 4:Sweep and mop all floors.

• Day 5:Clean bathrooms: shower stalls, tubs, sinks, toilets.

• Day 6: Clean kitchen: dishes, fridge and freezer, stove and oven.

• Day 7: Straighten closets.

• Day 8: Laundry: this includes clothes, towels, bath rugs, and linens.

• Day 9: Wash outside windows.

• Day 10: Wash inside windows.

• Day 11: Laundry: this includes curtains and other seldom washed items.

• Day 12: Anything that has not been done so far.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Tip: House Cleaning Schedule

I have developed the following housecleaning schedule after years of trying to do it all every day and winding up with not much getting done any day! I've been using this schedule now for a couple of years and it works great. It's easily adjustable to fit anyone's home. Also if a day has to be missed, I either let it go till next week or pick it up the next day, depending on how I feel. (By the way when I say Roomba, that's my vacuum).

General Cleaning

Monday: Kitchen

• dishes
  • wipe down counters with disinfectant
  • wipe inside and outside of appliances
  • wipe off plastic shelves and straighten
  • straighten counters
  • straighten and clean off table
  • clean up dog food area
  • sweep and mop
  • replace rat poison

Tuesday: Living Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten and clean up computer area
  • water plants
  • feather dust
  • clean out Roomba really good
  • clean off TV/computer screens

Wednesday: Master Bedroom

• clean sheets, blankets, quilt
  • clean dog blanket
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten up
  • clean TV screen
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Thursday: Small Bathroom

• bathe the dogs before starting
  • wipe down tub and sink
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush
  • clean mirror if needed
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • sweep and mop

Friday: Master Bathroom

• wipe down tub and sinks
  • clean mirror if needed
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • Roomba
  • dump laundry bags into ones in laundry room

Saturday: Craft Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Sunday: Corner Bedroom

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Thorough Cleaning (done every 6-8 weeks)

Monday: Kitchen

• dishes
  • wash inside cabinets with disinfectant
  • wash down counters with disinfectant
  • wash inside and outside of appliances with hot soapy water, don't forget top of fridge
  • wash off plastic shelves and straighten with disinfectant
  • straighten counters
  • straighten and clean off table
  • clean under sink
  • replace rat poison
  • clean up dog food area
  • sweep and mop with disinfectant
  • wash windows and glass doors
  • wash tablecloth and curtains
  • wash rugs
  • de-ice freezer

Tuesday: Living Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten and clean up computer area
  • water plants
  • furniture polish
  • clean out Roomba really good
  • clean off TV/computer screens
  • wash windows and front storm door
  • wash walls and door
  • switch out dog toys

Wednesday: Master Bedroom

• clean sheets, blankets, quilt
  • clean dog blanket
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten up
  • clean TV screen
  • furniture polish
  • Roomba
  • wash windows
  • wash walls and doors
  • clean mirror

Thursday: Small Bathroom

• bathe the dogs before starting
  • wash down tub, tub walls, sink with disinfectant
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush and disinfect with bleach
  • clean mirror
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • sweep and mop
  • clean walls and door
  • wash rugs

Friday: Master Bathroom

• wash down tub, sinks, shower with disinfectant
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush, disinfect with bleach
  • clean mirror
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten counters and shelves
  • Roomba
  • wash down shelves with disinfectant
  • straighten closet
  • straighten and wash down under sink with disinfectant
  • wash down walls and doors
  • wash window

Saturday: Craft Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • furniture polish
  • Roomba
  • re-organize yarns
  • re-organize books

Sunday: Corner Bedroom

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • furniture polish
  • re-organize tools
  • Roomba

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Tip: Have a Cleaning Schedule

I find it's easier to keep up on the housecleaning if I have a cleaning schedule. It's also easier for my 4 year old son because he is learning that each day we have different chores and he knows what is expected.

My schedule is basically: Monday I clean the living room, dust, vacuum, Febreze the furniture, give it a complete once over, Tuesday is the dining room, Wednesday the kitchen, and so on so forth.

I also have daily things I do too such as dishes, putting toys away, cleaning the litterboxes, etc. It breaks the chores down into maybe 30 minutes of cleaning a day, but my house stays tidy and neat and it's easy for me to keep up with.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

Tip: Cleaning Schedules

Recently I had had enough of my kids not doing their chores and getting frustrated realising it was easier to do things myself than go behind them and do them...then I got behind on MY chores! I needed to figure out a way for all of us to keep things in order and to keep track of who wasn't doing their chores!

I took an idea from what Martha Stewart used to do in her magazine and made a calendar chore list. Although her lists were things such as planting a certain herb, clipping a certain flower or giving her dogs a bath...I was able to use the same idea and put it to use!

I devised a way to have a cleaning schedule that rotates each day so that one child is not stuck doing the same chore each day. The children have enjoyed this way of doing chores because it is specific and only has 3-5 chores a day for each child (I have five kids so more gets done) on top of their daily chores such as making their bed, putting away laundry, etc. This also allows me to add in weekly or monthly chores as reminders for them to do things such as put their sheets into the laundry, etc. Each chore only takes 5-10 minutes to complete. It may be sweeping the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom mirror, etc.

I made up a schedule for Feb. (the only 28 day month), one for the months with 30 days and one for the months with 31 days in them. This way the hard work is done and I can just pull out my list for the right days in the month.

To start, I went room by room and listed each item I needed done daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or bi-monthly. Not all rooms had all of those categories, but some did. I then put into a spreadsheet each chore, the children's names and just wrote a number for the day of the month they have that chore.

Example: Child #1 takes out the trash on the 1st of the month, Child #2 takes out the trash on the 2nd of the month, and so on...

This list I keep in a notebook for myself for reference. I took it a step further and typed out a numbered list of chores to tape near the calendar and then took a large desk calendar that I taped inside my pantry door and in a different color for each child, I write what number of chore they have for that day. It saves having to write the same thing over and over and saves the younger ones having to figure out what my abbreviations mean. I keep a highlighter clipped to the calendar and they can highlight their #'s as they complete the chores. But it is just as simple to make copies of the original list and having them mark off of that too, but I had already bought the calendar prior to coming up with this plan.

I found that if most of the chores were completed Mon-Thursday, they tended to get done better. By the time the weekend comes, they are having friends over or going places and tend not to get things done. They still have some chores on the weekends, but mostly it is taking care of pets, etc. The rule is if they are gone for the weekend they must find someone to fill in on chores such as feeding the dog, trash, etc.

I have since made a list for myself and this helps greatly on getting things done around the house. I tended to avoid doing things such as cleaning windows or dusting when it was easier to spend my time doing other things. This way I have a list to go by and doing 5-6 things each day, verses trying to do it ALL in one day a week or whatever, it helps a lot.

I broke the kitchen chores down into zones. Zone 1 is the far left of the kitchen, Zone 2 is the sink area, Zone 3 stove area and Zone 4 is the refrigerator area. On one day I may clean out the cabinets in Zone 1 and wipe them inside and out, another day I may clean out the drawers and wipe them out in Zone 1. It is up to you on how you want it broken down. Those are once-a-month chores and I divided them up throughout the month.

I know that it is time-consuming at first to get the lists made up in the beginning, but it is well worth the time spent once you have it already figured out!

By Tawnda

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: House Cleaning Schedule

I am wondering if anyone has a house cleaning schedule they would like to share with me.