Creating a Cleaning Schedule

Keeping the house clean is an on going task, especially if you have children in your home. Sticking to a cleaning schedule is the best way to keep your home clean and tidy. This is a guide about creating a cleaning schedule.

Woman Cleaning Her Kitchen
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have developed the following housecleaning schedule after years of trying to do it all every day and winding up with not much getting done any day! I've been using this schedule now for a couple of years and it works great. It's easily adjustable to fit anyone's home. Also if a day has to be missed, I either let it go till next week or pick it up the next day, depending on how I feel. (By the way when I say Roomba, that's my vacuum).

General Cleaning

Monday: Kitchen

• dishes
  • wipe down counters with disinfectant
  • wipe inside and outside of appliances
  • wipe off plastic shelves and straighten
  • straighten counters
  • straighten and clean off table
  • clean up dog food area
  • sweep and mop
  • replace rat poison

Tuesday: Living Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten and clean up computer area
  • water plants
  • feather dust
  • clean out Roomba really good
  • clean off TV/computer screens

Wednesday: Master Bedroom

• clean sheets, blankets, quilt
  • clean dog blanket
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten up
  • clean TV screen
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Thursday: Small Bathroom

• bathe the dogs before starting
  • wipe down tub and sink
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush
  • clean mirror if needed
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • sweep and mop

Friday: Master Bathroom

• wipe down tub and sinks
  • clean mirror if needed
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • Roomba
  • dump laundry bags into ones in laundry room

Saturday: Craft Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Sunday: Corner Bedroom

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • feather dust
  • Roomba

Thorough Cleaning (done every 6-8 weeks)

Monday: Kitchen

• dishes
  • wash inside cabinets with disinfectant
  • wash down counters with disinfectant
  • wash inside and outside of appliances with hot soapy water, don't forget top of fridge
  • wash off plastic shelves and straighten with disinfectant
  • straighten counters
  • straighten and clean off table
  • clean under sink
  • replace rat poison
  • clean up dog food area
  • sweep and mop with disinfectant
  • wash windows and glass doors
  • wash tablecloth and curtains
  • wash rugs
  • de-ice freezer

Tuesday: Living Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten and clean up computer area
  • water plants
  • furniture polish
  • clean out Roomba really good
  • clean off TV/computer screens
  • wash windows and front storm door
  • wash walls and door
  • switch out dog toys

Wednesday: Master Bedroom

• clean sheets, blankets, quilt
  • clean dog blanket
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten up
  • clean TV screen
  • furniture polish
  • Roomba
  • wash windows
  • wash walls and doors
  • clean mirror

Thursday: Small Bathroom

• bathe the dogs before starting
  • wash down tub, tub walls, sink with disinfectant
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush and disinfect with bleach
  • clean mirror
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • sweep and mop
  • clean walls and door
  • wash rugs

Friday: Master Bathroom

• wash down tub, sinks, shower with disinfectant
  • scouring powder in toilet and swipe with brush, disinfect with bleach
  • clean mirror
  • pick up and put away
  • straighten counters and shelves
  • Roomba
  • wash down shelves with disinfectant
  • straighten closet
  • straighten and wash down under sink with disinfectant
  • wash down walls and doors
  • wash window

Saturday: Craft Room

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • furniture polish
  • Roomba
  • re-organize yarns
  • re-organize books

Sunday: Corner Bedroom

• pick up and put away
  • straighten
  • furniture polish
  • re-organize tools
  • Roomba

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am always reading where people say to clean as we see things that need it. That's a great idea, but sometimes it builds up and takes more organizing to get it done. I am just recovering from a long bout of illness and so my cleaning has been put on a back burner, so to speak. This is my plan to get it all caught up. Notice that I don't list it by rooms, but by type of chore. Like on Day 1, I'll go through the entire house putting things away, and so on down the list. In 2 weeks, my house - which is a total wreck right now (I'm ashamed to say) will be totally clean!

• Day 1: Put things away that have been left out.

• Day 2: Straighten all tables, counters, dresser tops.

• Day 3: Vacuum all carpets and rugs.

• Day 4:Sweep and mop all floors.

• Day 5:Clean bathrooms: shower stalls, tubs, sinks, toilets.

• Day 6: Clean kitchen: dishes, fridge and freezer, stove and oven.

• Day 7: Straighten closets.

• Day 8: Laundry: this includes clothes, towels, bath rugs, and linens.

• Day 9: Wash outside windows.

• Day 10: Wash inside windows.

• Day 11: Laundry: this includes curtains and other seldom washed items.

• Day 12: Anything that has not been done so far.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I find it's easier to keep up on the housecleaning if I have a cleaning schedule. It's also easier for my 4 year old son because he is learning that each day we have different chores and he knows what is expected.

Recently I had had enough of my kids not doing their chores and getting frustrated realising it was easier to do things myself than go behind them and do them...then I got behind on MY chores!

I am wondering if anyone has a house cleaning schedule they would like to share with me. I have tried making my own before, and it just didn't work. I would like a day by day schedule. I have found that on a schedule I get more done rather than just saying "I will clean all day today". If you know of a website with ideas, or if you would rather share your own ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. THANK YOU!

Jennifer from Illinois

Answers:

House Cleaning Schedule

Jenn you will love flylady.net. The site has a lot of information on it. Scroll down to table of contents and read it, it will give you an overall understanding of the site. They email an assignment each day to keep your home tidy. Give it a chance. I love it.
(08/25/2006)

By edie

House Cleaning Schedule

Oh, Jennifer! Have I got a site for you! You're going to love it, or if you don't, I'll be very surprised. Be sure to look on the left side of the page and go through the different sections of this site, top to bottom. Let me know if you like it after you've "experienced" it for awhile. God bless you!

http://www.flylady.net/ (08/26/2006)

By Luvyabye

House Cleaning Schedule

www.thefamilyhomestead.com is a great site for what your looking for. I have this site on my favorites. Also try www.hillbillyhousewife.com. Good luck and happy cleaning (08/26/2006)

By Judy S

House Cleaning Schedule

I hate to admit that I'm 60 year old and found Flylady a blessing to my days. Please give her a try. You wont be sorry! Its FREE. (08/26/2006)

By Carol in PA

House Cleaning Schedule

I am 69 and caring for my husband who has had a bad stroke. I have ovarian cancer and under go chemo treatments. Needless to say, housecleaning got tough for a while. That is until I found FlyLady.net. Give her a try. It has changed my life a lot and made things much easier to cope with.
Good luck. From a FlyBaby (08/26/2006)

By Harriet

House Cleaning Schedule

Jennifer,
I work outside the home, assistant coach Cross country and teach AWANA and Sundayschool-so I am very busy. I need to be very organized so I clean a little as I go:

I do these before I leave the house for the morning--

• On Sundays before church: Clean master bathroom (husband does tub)
  • Monday: Dust upstairs (3 bedrooms and loft)
  • Tuesday: Dust down stairs
  • Wednesdays: Bible study so no chores! :-)
  • Thursday; Downstairs bathroom and kitchen counters
I vacuum and mop either Tuesday evening or Thursday evenings, and this takes about 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I run the vacuum before I leave for work if I am VERY ambitious (either up or down-never both on the same morning!)

I sometimes manage to squeeze in ironing a shirt or two before I leave at 7:30.

My kids clean their own rooms and their bathroom (with no do-overs allowed) and they also walk and brush the dog. DH Is a big help too. Let kids and husband do their share of the work and insist they keep their stuff picked up! I have "donated" more items NOT picked up and have even resorted to "Selling" it back to a child now and again!

I NEVER spend the weekend cleaning UNLESS it is a BIG job like washing windows, cleaning the garage, etc. I even clean my inside windows and blinds on a schedule (on room a month and I coordinate the dining room with the holidays when I entertain family)

Basement (which is really just a big JUNK, craft, storage room) gets gleaned in quadrants!

I find that organization is the key and creating as plan and then executing it have worked for me! Good luck! You'll be much more relaxed and your house will be a cleaner, happier place with a little organization and discipline.

(08/26/2006)

By Diana

House Cleaning Schedule

Jennifer, THANK YOU for asking. I stay at home taking care of husband and get distracted and over whelmed at times. I will go check out Fly Lady. Thank you to all for the ideas.
(08/26/2006)

By meoowmom

House Cleaning Schedule

Hi Jennifer, You have actually got to give this a try to see how good it works.

Each day I set my timer on my microwave for 1 hour and start cleaning. I do not answer the door are phone during this time.

I am a firm believer that the most important to a house should be clean floors, no dishes and nice clean counter top.

Please let me know if you give this a try,it always works for me. Good luck. (08/26/2006)

By Autumn

House Cleaning Schedule

Wow, thank you SO much everyone for your ideas! I can't wait to try them. I will go to flylady right now :) (08/27/2006)

House Cleaning Schedule

I have had good luck with the website - FlyLady.net. They have a detailed list for every room and also they help you get decluttered - if that is a problem you face!

I think you will truly enjoy this website. (08/28/2006)

By Diane

House Cleaning Schedule

I see someone has already mentioned FLYLady. Terrific (08/29/2006)

By Ella P

House Cleaning Schedule

I use the site:

http://happyslob.blogspot.com/

The Name says it all! (09/01/2006)

By SweetCali40

House Cleaning Schedule

YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT, ORGANIZEDHOME.COM its a wonderful place with free printables to put in a house hold note book too i love it (09/06/2006)

By MARSHA

House Cleaning Schedule

The first thing you need to do is get a notepad. Go into each room and write down everything you need to do. Start a new page for each room. Write down a reward (such as a piece of chocolate cake) at the end of each page. When you are ready, pick a room and check your list. Place all the cleaning items you need into a bucket, then go to the room and do everything on the list, crossing them off as you go. Seeing the items crossed off will motivate you further. As you complete a room, reward yourself with a few minutes time out and the designated 'reward', then start the next room. (09/22/2006)

By Cathy

House Cleaning Schedule

Try www.motivatedmoms.com (02/18/2007)

By Sue

House Cleaning Schedule

Someone already mentioned the Happy Slob's Guide to Housecleaning - it's at http://www.happyslob.com - that's the site that goes along with the blog.

:) I wrote the book, and hope you guys will check it out. It's all about keeping your home clean in less time BUT with less stress. I don't think it's effective to get so worked up about cleaning the house that you end up exhausted from it (both the cleaning AND the worry!)

Thanks to SweetCali for the recommendation to begin with.

Take care all,
(03/11/2007)

By Christina

House Cleaning Schedule

I've found that if I follow this regime, I'm done in an hour.

Figure out what's for dinner and set out things to defrost
Make my bed (I change the sheets once a week and this is my 1 load of laundry a day)
Start a load of laundry (one a day)
Clean toilet and counter
Dishes if there are any
Sweep the kitchen
Take care of the laundry
Straighten the front room
Fold and put away laundry

when needed: I do my floors and dust

I've spent an hour on my house most days and now I can enjoy the rest of the day doing whatever I choose. (05/15/2007)

By Paula

House Cleaning Schedule

Diana is closest to the 'Clean Freak" strategy, but sounds like you have a big house girl! And you still iron? Wow. I got tired just reading your post.

Doing things on a schedule is the way to go. It becomes habit, and build up doesn't happen. You can find some helpful articles at http://www.CommonSenseLiving.com too.

Do all of you fly lady people put your shoes on to clean? Just curious. Happy slobs and clean freaks. How funny is that? We are a weird group, aren't we? (11/17/2007)

By Carole

House Cleaning Schedule

What I do is create tasks in Outlook (my email program) . I just went through each room, making a list of what needed to be done and created tasks. I have them repeat as needed. So each person has a laundry day. I clean house on Mondays (my off day).

For today (Thursday) for example:

• Son's white clothes
  • Son's color clothes
  • Son's towels
  • Straighten kitchen (every day chore)
  • Feed cats (every day chore)
  • Clean cat box (every third day)

Sundays:

I wash my sheets and comforter as needed
Wipe down front of stove and dishwasher
Clean Frig
Clean microwave
Straighten pantry

This sounds like a lot, but it takes me less time to do than it takes me to cook dinner. If you do it each week, it takes very little time to do.

Mondays

Clean entire downstairs (kids have to clean their rooms on Sat)
Mom's Laundry
Clean out car (I keep trash bags in the car so that I can do this during carpool)

Tuesdays

DD10 Laundry

Wednesday

DD15 Laundry
Straighten downstairs-We clean up after ourselves, so this is basically dusting, sweeping...

Friday

Hubby's Laundry

Saturday

Clean downstairs
Kids clean their rooms.
Any household laundry, like curtains, rugs, etc.

Because I clean two days a week and straighten on Wednesdays, the house stays company clean most of the time.

Daily tasks are straighten up after supper, feed animals, load and unload dishwasher.

I also have yearly chores like decorate and undecorate for Holidays. If hubby asks me to do something, I just create a task.

As I do something, I check it off the task list. It shows up later when it repeats.

I am not much of a clutterer. I use things and them throw or give them away when I am done. My decorating style is very minimal. Things that family give me are displayed in a way that I can enjoy.

Our animals are outside so they don't make messes that have to be cleaned. The cats do use a litter box, so it has to be changed.

I find doing a little each day keeps the class very clean, and me not tired. I work outside the house 4-5 hours a day and have three kids. I find the less stuff you have, the easier keeping it clean is. Also animals are more messy than children. If they are inside, you are going to have more messes to clean up.

And no one is immune to cleaning up after themselves. My ten year old can make a mess faster than I can blink. She can clean it up and that at least slows the process of the next mess down. :) Keeping her room clean builds self esteem. I don't expect it to be spotless, just no laundry, no food, toys picked up at least once a week.

Now I am off to fold some clothes, get another load going, and make sure the puppy got supper.

(03/20/2008)

By Mom of three

House Cleaning Schedule

Not sure if you're still checking this, but the magazine Real Simple has a great basic cleaning schedule in PDF format that you can hang up, etc:

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/0,21863,1216146-2,00.html (01/21/2009)

By Elizabeth

House Cleaning Schedule

www.flylady.net all the way! It's been mentioned and it's awesome! (01/22/2009)

By kasandra.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 7, 2011
A vet giving a dog a vaccination.
ASPCA Pet Vaccination Truck Schedule
Cleaning Bathroom
Cleaning Made Simple
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 4:00:15 PM on 10.0.2.84 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.