How to Set Rates for Cleaning Apartments

Category Business
Cleaning services often specialize in the type of services and clients they cater to. Cleaning apartments often has a different rate structure than that used for residential cleaning. This is a guide about how to set rates for cleaning apartments.

How much would I charge to clean a one bedroom apartment, bi-weekly? It is about 1500 square feet.

By Robin from Moline, IL

Answers

Best Answer

I started cleaning houses about 15 years ago.I love it! I have a great clientele. I have got all of my clients through their referrals.

I can usually tell from my first "walkthrough", about how long it will take me to clean it. Since I do a very thorough job, each time, I have learned to double my usual rate on "first time" cleaning. This prevents a potential client from taking advantage of me working as hard as I do to get "everything" spotless, the first time that I clean their home.

I usually go far beyond the "normal" cleaners in this area. I am not a hit or miss cleaner. I do not waste my time or theirs. With that being said, I have only lost two of my clients since I started, and that was from their dyeing.

Mentally, I figure $30 per hour and that is what I base my price on. I do not tell them this. It sounds better to just give them an actual price. I also supply my own supplies, that way, I know that I will have what I need and it is not as expensive as you would think. I buy most of mine when certain stores put them on special. I stock up on name brands only. Plus, if you have coupons, it is even better.

I know that some area's charge more than others, that is true, but if you give the customer the service that they expect, you will not need to look for clients, they will find you!

My best wishes go with you and may you be as blessed as I have been!

A friend of mine asked me if I'd like to come clean her apartment and do her laundry once a month to make a little extra money. I told her yes, but had no clue on what I should charge. She said she'd rather do a lump sum amount rather than a by the hour charge so she can budget it better. I don't know the square feet, but it's bigger than an efficiency and smaller than a large one bedroom. She's providing the cleaning supplies and things. Anybody have any suggestions?

By Wendy from Dallas, TX

Answers

Anonymous

Personally, I would not do something like this unless you want to take the chance of losing this friendship. What sends the red flag up for me is the fact she wants a flat rate rather than an hourly rate. What if some months she is a complete slob and also has a dozen loads of laundry to do and it takes two or three times the amount of time you expected?

If you really want to follow through with doing this then give her a flat rate (for example $40.00 based on 4 or 5 or 6 hours) and let her know how many hours the flat rate you've chosen is based on. I see trouble coming from even doing that because she could say you were cheating and not working hard enough during those hours.

I used to do extra cleaning for friends in college (after) if you have it all worked out before you start should be fine. I admit wrong conditions could hurt your friendship only you know that. Maybe putting it in writing would be the answer, saving any problems that may occur later. I never had any, so I was going tell you if place is somewhat kept up before you start around $40.00 is fair. If you have to clean the place up then charge more to start, after you get it up to par charge a fair price for your area. From what you say the size is, its only one person's laundry 40 dollars is fair.
Good luck, it is a great way to make extra income. Maybe one job could lead to a couple. If I was able and had opportunity, of course; any extra money is a blessing.

I pay $40 for having my 1 bedroom cleaned and its 3-4 hours work.

Thanks for the great answers. It certainly gives me a great place to start.

Wen

I am cleaning a 650 square foot apartment. How much should I charge?

By Stacee W.

Answers

Depends on a lot of things. Are there a lot of mirrors and glass topped furniture and a lot of artwork and pictures hanging on the wall? All these have to be dusted. How many people are in the house? Will you be picking up after children? Will you be washing breakfast dishes? Also, what is the going rate in your area? Don't shortchange yourself by quoting a low figure. I did this for awhile and learned that some people can take advantage of you real fast.

I would go $20 an hour and that they supply the supplies needed like the broom, vaccum, the furniture polish, the rags to polish with, the windex along with paper towels, & the toilet bowl cleaner. At $20 an hour your are making $5 every 15 minutes and that isn't anything to sneeze at by no means.

How much should I charge for cleaning a two bedroom apartment including removing items left behind? Should I do a flat rate or by the hour? I live in Idaho.