Setting Rates for Cleaning Services

Category Business
Part of running a successful cleaning business is being able to estimate the job and charge a reasonable rate that will meet your financial needs and attract customers. This is a guide about setting rates for cleaning services.

Cleaning services often specialize in the type of services and clients they cater to. Cleaning apartments often has a different rate structure than that used for residential cleaning. This is a guide about how to set rates for cleaning apartments.

A professional cleaner holding cleaning supplies.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Setting the proper rate for you cleaning service business is an important first step. Here are some ideas about how to set rates for move out apartment cleaning services.

A bucket of cleaning tools.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Knowing the right amount to charge for your time cleaning a home or office is important information to have. Learn how to set rates for deep cleaning services that you offer.

Deep Cleaning

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Running a successful cleaning service for residential customers requires not only doing a good job, but also defining a reasonable rate for the job. This step can be determined by several factors. This is a guide about how to set rates for cleaning houses.

A professional cleaner's cleaning supplies.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about rates for cleaning a home for sale. Cleaning a home that is for sale can be easier work because it is unoccupied. However, it can often take just as long because more square footage is exposed.

Man in an apron with a bucket of cleaning supplies.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about rates for cleaning new construction homes. Cleaning businesses often focus on specific types of cleaning jobs, such as private homes, businesses, or new construction.

Inside of Empty new home.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How much should I charge to do a move out clean for a 2 story 2,715 sq. ft. house?

Answers

Best Answer

It depends where you live. Find out the weekly rate for a regular cleaning and add $25- $50 more. The kitchens and baths have to be scrubbed extra clean for the new inhabitants.

Best Answer

Take a walk through, estimate how many hours you'll need and ensure it won't be more grimy between the time of your inspection and the date they want to hire you. Your hourly rate plus travel time (one way) plus supplies? Are you taking your own vacuum cleaner? Add an hour for the time it takes you to give an estimate? Ask for half up front with the balance due upon the client's inspection (after you're done).

Best Answer

No simple answer for this one. What do others in the area charge? How dirty is it? Are you providing the cleaning supplies or is the client? You need to earn enough to cover your materials, all costs, your fuel there and back, meals, any extra help you make and then your profit. Your profit will be what you earn after all expenses, so what is your time worth to you? Also remember you will need to recoup advertising costs and you may also have permits and licenses and insurance to buy and taxes to pay.

I do every type cleaning you could think of, deep, basic, move out with inspection sheets, straight organizing cleans, basic with add ons like laundry, errands, etc.
How do I determine a fair price? Also, I go to surrounding cities up to 30 miles away, bring own supplies, etc.

Also, I just hired a girl to help me. What should be the paying ratio, since I supply the cleaning supplies, and gas/transportation?

Answers

Best Answer

Rates for the many types of cleaning can vary wildly depending upon your specific location, cleaning type (move in/out, home etc.), supply costs, domestic or business cleaning, etc.

In a large city, a one bedroom apartment can range $75-$150 for a 4 hour weekly. A 3 bedroom house $200-$300 weekly. In smaller towns, prices can drop to half or less.

You might call other cleaning services in your area (on the sly!) to ask their prices.

Good Luck!

I have been asked to clean a 2300 sq foot home with 3 bedrooms, 2 living areas, kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. They only want it to be cleaned once a month and want the windows cleaned as well. How much should I charge for the first visit and every visit after?

Answers

This is a large home. I would charge at least $200 per visit. Figure out how many hours it's going to take you to clean this home, and then figure out what you would charge by the hour. Window cleaning is time consuming.

It would depend where you live. Do you have experience in knowing how long it'd take you to clean a 2,300 sq foot home and an idea of the windows (if they're high/low).

I'd recommend to look at competitors in your area and depending if you're licensed or not charge accordingly. Or even call around asking for a quote for that size home to get an idea.

Do not charge too cheap for your labor, but not too expensive compared to professionals. Assuming you have all the proper cleaning items/tools also?

What is the average pay??

If i were you,should charge by room or by hour or of they offer something more.

It makes sense to me to clean the place the first time and charge by the hour. Among the factors difficult to estimate are numbers of people, how many are kids (and how messy are they), do they have pets, do the adults pick up after themselves, do they do their dishes every day, will you be doing laundry, and so forth. You'll have a better idea what to charge after the first visit. As to your hourly rate? Why not check out the competition and see what others charge. Don't forget to factor in cleaning supplies and equipment.

There are a lot of factors to consider before giving a price.
Location: where are you/zip
Are you licensed/bonded?
How many is in the family and how messy are they?
Do they expect a "spotless" job?
How many windows are you expected to clean? Inside? Outside?
How about appliances? Stoves/refrigerator/?
Will you also be expected to do laundry?
First time bathroom/kitchen cleaning can be very time consuming.
What about ceiling light fixtures/overhead fans?
Are the floors wood or carpet?
Carpet - vacuum or shampoo also?
Do they have indoor pets?
Sound like a lot? If you see a true professionals worksheet there will be even more because they know from experience that you cannot leave anything "unsaid". There will be certain things mentioned that they will not do.
Your first time charge may be higher than the monthly but only if they are not a messy family as cleaning only once per month is almost like a first time.

Here is a site that you can put in your zip code and some info and get an idea as to where to begin;

https://www.hom … _foot_house.html

If there are a lot of things laying around or a lot of nick knacks I'd charge more than $200.00. Since you are only doing it once a month you would feel like starting all over again. I use to clean houses too and some were a total disaster. Dishes piled on every counter and stacked on the stove, laundry covering every corner. Would take 2 of us 6 hours to clean every week. Was such a mess. I think you should make a home visit and decide by the amount of things you'd have to do each time and also the sizes of the windows and whether you had to clean both inside and out. Many services in our area do not cover windows.

I cleaned a 3 bed room 1 1/2 half bath with 14 windows. I cleaned the windows inside and out, also cabinets, base boards, and vacuumed the floors. I also cleaned a large laundry room window seals. It took me 28 hours. My zip is 75061. I charged $250.00 and the owner thinks I'm ripping him off.

Answers

You made $9.28 an hour. You need to check what other people charge. Some charge by the hour and some charge by the job. You need to give the client an estimate of what it will cost to do the job to avoid situations like this in the future.

In the future you should give your client a WRITTEN estimate before starting any cleaning job.

Continued-Make sure you both sign the estimate so that there are no questions after. Also, during your work, if you find you need to complete more than you anticipated or a different problem, immediately contact your client, explain the problem, add a second WRITTEN estimate of the additional work and whatever additional fee there is and both sign the new agreement.

Well - it seems you have committed an unpardonable sin in relation to the type of job you have completed. From many sites it looks like a general cleaning (no outside windows) in your area would run between $145-$200.

Several questions that should have helped you in determining what to charge for these services:
1) Is this type of service a regular job for you or is this a new thing that you are trying out? Do you consider yourself a professional cleaner or just a once in a while cleaner?
2) How did you come about taking this job? Is it a neighbor? Friend? Ad in newspaper/bulletin board? Co-worker? Was this a one-time favor for someone? (very important!)
3) Who decided what type of work/cleaning was to be done? Was there a discussion or did you just listen and agree?
4) Was this a one time cleaning or were there plans for future cleanings on a regular basis?
5) Is this house located in an upscale residential/urban/metropolitan area?
6) Did you check to see how much cleaning services were charging in your area and what the normal cleaning services covered?

There are more questions but I think you can get the general idea -
if this was a job through a friend/co-worker/neighbor/favor for someone you may have to consider all of this before discussing the price again. How important are good relations between these people to you? Important? Big drop in price!
Do you consider yourself a slow/medium or fast worker? Could someone else have done the same job in less time? Did you do too good of a job (more time)?
Truthfully, the work you completed may have cost more (outside windows) if he had called a professional cleaning service but if this is someone that has never or rarely had their house cleaned by an outsider it will/may appear that you really are trying to "rip him off".
What can you do? Without going to small claims court (costly!) I think you will have to have a meeting with him and try to work out a price that you can both live with. Then, take you money and never look back - just learn from experience and don't let this one time thing sour any part of your life.
If you deicide you would like to try doing any cleaning in the future, please read some of the links that I have posted here. Most of the links are related to services in your area and some have information on what should be included in normal services and what should be extra. The MOST important thing that anyone can tell you - get a signed contract (copy to both people) that states what you will do and what your services will cost BEFORE picking up your mop!

https://www.fix … ington/cleaning/

http://www.home … -service-prices/

http://www.home … rvice-checklist/

http://www.wiki … d-a-Cleaning-Job

http://www.exce … om/contract.html

I'm cleaning a small one bath, one bedroom apartment. How much do I charge?

Answers

It really depends on the location of the place. I've seen places start from $75 for 1b/1b.

I'm thinking about starting a small cleaning business. Does anyone know the going rate for a stove and refrigerator?

Answers

depends on the condition and how much deep cleaning of these appliances are required

I am interested in starting my own cleaning business and was wondering if a flat rate of $125 and recurring of $110 is too high. I live in Michigan City, Indiana and will be servicing LaPorte, Portage, and Valparaiso, cleaning commercial, residential, move in/out, and construction. Please advise, I researched the average cost online and it ran anywhere from $111 low to $154 high. Also, I have a full time job and am wanting to start with evenings and weekends. Any thoughts?

Answers

That's a good price, stick to it.

I am cleaning a less than 500 sf apartment. How much should I charge to deep clean a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment? They want laundry done, refrigerator cleaned, and room decluttered and organized.

By Taryn from New Orleans, LA

How much should I charge to clean a school?

By Lola from Forked River

How do you figure out the flat rate to charge by the cleaning job (not hourly)? Thank you for any information.

By Baha from Great Falls, MT

Answers:

Rates for Cleaning Services

I had a very successful business for several years. I charged by the hour or by the job. After awhile it all got very simple. I charged $30 an hour (I'm in the big city). I found that almost all houses took between 4 and 5 hours. It didn't matter what size they were, smaller houses are more cluttered and dirtier, so they take as long as a big house. So I would tell people what the charge would be for....say...4.5 hours, or $135.

And I would also tell them I could give them a firm figure after I cleaned the house 3 times. People seemed OK with that. I also told them that the 1st cleaning could take as much as twice that unless the house had been thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis (ie twice a month). I had a few that took 3 times as long. I considered these "rescue" situations. People knew the situation, and I never had a complaint. Good luck! (04/16/2010)

By Lizzyanny

I want to start my own empty rental unit cleaning service in West Palm Beach, FL. I don't know how much to charge for an apartment or a house. Can anyone help me decide? Do I charge by the job or the hour? What are the going rates for each approach?

By Elizabeth from West Palm Beach, FL

Answers:

Rates for Cleaning Services

Cleaning the whole apartment-$25

Cleaning the whole house-$40 (12/08/2009)

By sunshine64

Rates for Cleaning Services

Why not call a few cleaning services to see what they charge? This way you will have a better idea what to charge. Also maybe you could work for one for a brief time. This way you would learn the tricks of the trade. Best of luck to you. (12/11/2009)

By Amandablue

Rates for Cleaning Services

Hello, my daughter is trying to do this also and was told to charge 15.00 an hour and get a list of priority things the owner wanted and go from there. She is posting posters, but calls are slow. Have you found a way to drum up business?
We are in Ocala, Fl (12/11/2009)

By cybergrannie

Rates for Cleaning Services

Hi, I do this on a regular basis here in MS. For an empty apartment I get from $85 to $100. For a 3 bedroom house it is a little more. I do not give my hourly rates out, but I know about how long it is going to take me to clean it and multiply that by $30 per hour. The more you clean, the more efficient you get at it. It will come naturally after a while as you learn the shortcuts that you can do, and is still a job to be proud of when you are through. I love my job. Good luck.

Kathy (12/13/2009)

By msfixit17

Note: Feedback is in this archive is from 2007, so the figures are likely out of date.

I have an elderly neighbor with a semi-retarded 53 year old daughter that I help out quite a bit. The mother has asked me to help her clean her house. She doesn't get around very well at 84 and the daughter has scoliosis and after working at a workshop she can't do much. I am looking for suggestions as to what to charge them to come in and clean. They have money but I want to be fair. I have done cleaning in the past but that was military housing as people moved out. Any ideas?

Karen from Port Clinton, OH

Answers:

How much should I charge for cleaning?

I pay my housecleaner $45, which translates to $15/hour for three hours. My house is a small ranch-style house and easy to clean.

By Victoria from NJ

How much should I charge for cleaning?

When I had household help last year, I paid $10 per hour for four hours a week, which included general dusting (including cobweb removal, dusting blinds, etc.), thoroughly cleaning both bathrooms, mopping the kitchen floor, and vacuuming carpets as well as "swiffering" hardwood floors. I did not ask her to do laundry, changing beds, dishes, etc. She brought her own tools but used my cleaning supplies. I live in the rural Midwest.

How much should I charge for cleaning?

When I have cleaned houses for elderly people who live on a small fixed income, and they can't do things for themselves such as maybe remaking their beds, things like that and I know it is a hardship for them to pay me I've just charged them $6.00 an hour. When I work for people I know can pay me fine I charge them $7.50 an hour with a 4 hour minimum. So if the job only take me 3 hours I still make $30.00.

By SkyeBlue

How much should I charge for cleaning?

Rates can vary in different areas. I suggest you call a local housecleaning service and use what they charge as a general guideline. It makes a difference, also, when you consider the tasks you will be expected to do. Dusting is easier than scrubbing, etc.

By Doggy

How much should I charge for cleaning?

My husband has just hired someone and is paying her $120 per floor! And the cleaner has her 2 year old with her. I think he's way off base. He got the price from someone else who pays $120 for the whole house, a house similar to ours, but less rooms. We live in Southern PA (a non-up-market town), our house is 2 storyy, 4 bedroom, 3 full bath, 2 powder rooms, typical 1st floor open plan w/laundry room. So don't anyone quote this price because i don't think it's normal ... but by all means, feedback is welcome from those who know the biz!

By Jane

How much should I charge for cleaning?

In Northern NH, people are getting between $12 and 20.00 per hour for basic cleaning.

By happylab_456

How much should I charge for cleaning?

Firstly, it really depends on the market within your state, the duties requested and the labor involved. Always perform a free estimate and allow them to walk you through their home so you are both on the same page as far as what is required.

Allow the size of the home (sq. footage), size of rooms and materials cleaning (flooring, counter-tops, etc.) to determine what will be involved with each individual task. (i.e. ceramic, hardwood, corian, etc.)

Next, determine whether they will be supplying the products or you will. As this will also determine cost.

There are many factors to be considered. You also need to make certain that you include the cost of your gas, travel, insurance, pets, etc. Also, you have to set boundaries as well. Will you be doing light residential cleaning, in-depth cleaning, laundry, etc. b/c this will increase the rate you charge and should be listed as "extra's) I do not clean human or pet waste. I do not do exterior windows, etc. just to give you a basis of consideration. I have found this as the 'norm' in this particular area.

Lastly, as a general rule for Central PA, I charge NOT by hour as you will definitely lose monies, but by job. For a ranch style home it will generally take you 1.5-2.5 hrs. and no less than $75 is fair. A home that is 2-story (3-4 bdrms, 2+ baths, etc.) will generally take 2.5-4 hrs. and no less than $95 should be charged.

I hope this helps as a general rule of thumb, but keep in mind, as noted earlier, you really have to take into consideration all avenues and aspects associated with each individual job b/c each one is uniquely different.

And, for the PA commenter, whose husband pays over $100 per floor, it really should be $100 for total job! (03/20/2007)

By Mel