Asking for a First and Last House Cleaning Charge

I clean houses and am wondering if anyone charges clients a "first and last cleaning"?

Meaning if someone cancels, last minute or day of, then you have that last payment in order to give yourself enough time to find a new client to replace them.

I've had clients just cancel and say. "I can't afford you", or "something came up".

But no thought is given to really give any notice or consider how it affects the cleaner when it is a sole income to make a living.

Is this fair to ask of clients? Or asking too much?

Best Answer

I have never heard of this either. I would suggest however that you do some checking around in your area to find out what going rates are and adjust yours accordingly so to be a little competitive. Also, you need to remember that you are a service based business. You will win some and you will lose some. Just make sure you are friendly, professional, and do a quality job so that you are worth keeping and you will keep people that are worth working for. If your clients have not signed a contract, there is no way you can legally bind them to any charge of this sort anyway. It would only serve to drive your clients away and word of mouth would drive your cleaning company out of business.

I have never heard of this in my area.