Repairing a Sun Damaged Vintage Formica Tabletop?
September 19, 2010
Help please! While doing some remodeling, my 50's Formica table was left outside, and the sun turned part of the top of the table gray. Is there any fix for this? Please help or I'm going to throw my husband out for doing this ; )
Answer this Question (Guest)
Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts
September 22, 20100 found this helpful
I don't think there's really anything you can do to repair these sun bleached spots other than setting the table back out in the sun and allow the sun to finish the bleaching but this time don't have anything sitting on top of the table so it will bleach out evenly. Oh, and why is it all your husbands fault? You must have known it was outside for the amount of time it was to have caused this amount of bleaching and could have covered it for protection yourself. ;-)
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
October 1, 2018
My kids bought me a beautiful mid century Formica table. It was a cloudy day, but the table is badly damaged from UV light. I don't think there's any remedy, but does anyone have any ideas?
The leaf was left inside the truck so you can see how it looked originally.
Answer this Question
October 4, 20180 found this helpful
It is possible that you can brighten your tabletop but not sure if it will look like new.
Formica is also known as plastic laminate.
- Here is a product that says it will restore Formica countertops but I have never used it.
- This is what they say will determine if is "fixable". "If the color and luster come back when the surface is clean and wet, then that is how the surface will look refinished.
- *Sometimes Formica and other surfaces are too far gone to restore. If the surface does not look the way you want when it is clean and wet, unfortunately, nothing cannot restore the surface."
- My son used a similar product on a an older faded out car and it did a very good job restoring the color but that was a different material; just saying; some of these products do work as advertised.
- You can read about it here:
- If you are interested in trying it out here is a link to the product on Amazon but it is sold at many big box stores.
- www.amazon.com/.../?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid... (Affiliate Link)
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.