FurnitureRepair

Remedy for UV Damage to Vintage Formica Table Top

My kids bought me a beautiful mid century Formica table. It was a cloudy day, but the table is badly damaged from UV light. I don't think there's any remedy, but does anyone have any ideas? The leaf was left inside the truck so you can see how it looked originally.

You cannot fix sun damage.

It is possible that you can brighten your tabletop but not sure if it will look like new.
Formica is also known as plastic laminate.

• Here is a product that says it will restore Formica countertops but I have never used it.
  • This is what they say will determine if is "fixable". "If the color and luster come back when the surface is clean and wet, then that is how the surface will look refinished.
  • *Sometimes Formica and other surfaces are too far gone to restore. If the surface does not look the way you want when it is clean and wet, unfortunately, nothing cannot restore the surface."
  • My son used a similar product on a an older faded out car and it did a very good job restoring the color but that was a different material; just saying; some of these products do work as advertised.
  • You can read about it here:
  • www.rejuvenate.tv/formica-countertop.php
  • If you are interested in trying it out here is a link to the product on Amazon but it is sold at many big box stores.
  • Ad

• www.amazon.com/.../?tag=thrif06-20

There are websites about this topic....but I have never tried it:

homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-fading-dye-formica-countertop...

I am kinda lazy with stuff like this and would rather cover the table with a cute and kitschy tablecloth.

Let me know if you are able to do any restorations and post updated photos if you are pleased with the results!!! Sorry for your troubles.