Decoupaging Pictures on Formica

Category Decoupage

A Formica surface, such as a table, can be decorated by using decoupaging techniques to add photos. This is a guide about decoupaging pictures on Formica.

Can you decoupage over Formica countertops?

Judi from Florida

Answers

I don't see why not - but you would have to put polyurethene or something similar on to seal it & make it waterproof.

By Harry (Guest Post)

I would get a piece of formica and experiment before you do anything to the countertops.

The designer Christopher Lowell did this once, I think he has a decorating book you can get from the library, I think he painted it to look like marble. I think you could decoupage it. You would have to first sand it to rough it up a bit first, and then use a good food grade polyurethane on it.

Is it space you use everyday?
It would take a ton of polyurethene to keep it safe and presentable, and you will have to redo the poly once a year to keep it up, as it will wear down with daily use. An epoxy would be absolute best.

Remember now, with both options there is no turning back! You wont be seeing that original formica countertop ever again so be ready to have to replace it when you tire of it! :) Good luck!!!""

I have a round formica patio table that I would like to put some of our vacation pictures on. It will be used outside. Can anyone tell me how to sand or how to glue the pictures on and what to use on top to be able to use it outside?

Thanks for any help.

Carlene

Answers

Anonymous

Get a piece of plexi glass and have it fitted to the size of the table and then put your pictures in between the glass and the table.
- Gloria

Anonymous

Mod Podge is a great medium which you could do directly onto the table top, apply pics, and top with more Mod Podge. It is available at craft stores and as I recall, it is a waterproof coating once cured. OR you could get a piece of glass slightly larger than the table (any glass shop can recommend type and thickness for your purpose and cut it to size), lay your pics on the table and cover with the glass. This way you could also change out the pics after next year's memorable vacation.

- KC - Austin, Tx

Anonymous

I you could probably glue them on with rubber cement or Elmer's glue. Then put several coats of exterior polyurethane on it. However the pictures may fade if in the sunlight.
- Liz

Anonymous

There is a product you can buy in a craft store that will allow you to transfer photographic images to fabric and other substances....I am not sure if it would work on Formica, but it is worth a shot!

Also, to protect my photos, I would use second copies in case they were messed up by the process. Good luck!

Norma Jean in VA