Finding the Value of a Vintage Wardrobe

Category Antiques
This is a guide about finding the value of a vintage wardrobe. Here are some tips about how to research the value of an antique piece of furniture.

I have this wardrobe piece of furniture which I'm guessing was big in the 1930s. Anyone know?

Answers

Best Answer

I agree - it's a design typical of the 1930s. I couldn't venture a guess on the value, but judging by how much of this kind of mass-produced furniture was made and is still around, it's not likely to have much value other than sentimental.

Technically, this kind of piece is not called a wardrobe, but rather a chifferobe. Try an online search of 1930s chifferobes to see similar pieces.

I have a J.L. Metz wardrobe dresser I believe is what it's called. I have been told it's possibly an antique. I am trying to find out its possible value before I get rid of it.

Answers

I have seen prices as low as $50 and as high as $500 for this brand of furniture. Before you get rid of it, look at eBay often for the next few months

Thank you!

This is in excellent condition and I wouldn't just give it away. It is a good idea to put this on Craig's list or even eBay to sell it. The condition your dresser is in should be sold for around $250.

Most people who are selling them on the lower end is because they are in poor condition and they don't want to fix them. The really high end ones are more than likely a bit older than yours and in excellent condition.

Thank you so much!

J.L. Metz was in operation from 1898- 1970 and even through the depression they manufactured only very high quality pieces. They specialized in bedroom and dining room furniture and used only the best types of wood so I believe your chest could be more valuable than many other brands.

• When it comes to value on a piece like this, only a true professional can give you an accurate figure.
  • That does not mean we cannot give you an opinion based on any research we do, but that may be flawed as we most likely will have to base that on a similar piece.
  • Ad

• I do not believe your chest was called a wardrobe dresser but may have been called a linen press or linen chest. (This is just my opinion but it is based on a piece I have that I know is called a linen press.)
  • Some may say this is Gentleman's Wardrobe so there seems to be a different opinion as to what this really is. Most of a gentleman's wardrobe was folded in days past.
  • The slide out top drawers were used to lay tablecloths after ironing so they would not be wrinkled when used. A lot of linen was used by a well-to-do family so holding space was needed (no paper here!).
  • I believe your chest could be valued at $500-$1500 dollars (or more) judging by the prices I see in "better" antique shops. That does not mean you could sell it quickly for any of these prices but this is a very versatile piece and that means people looking for bedroom or dinning furniture may be interested in this.
  • Ad

• If thinking of listing on eBay, be sure to research some large pieces to get an idea of how to list to properly promote your piece. Since this piece would be very expensive as well as difficult to ship you would have to list it as "pick-up-only" and that means only people in your immediate area would really be interested.
  • You may want to list first on your local Craigslist as this would be the same "audience" as eBay because it would be potential buyers from your area.
  • Craigslist is easier to use than eBay but remember to be careful of who you invite into your home to look at your nice chest.
  • I would suggest you try to get a genuine appraisal before going any further and perhaps a correct name for this style.
  • Here are some listings presently on eBay of different types of J.L. Metz furniture.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=J.L.+Metz&_osacat...
  • Here are a couple of sites that offer free antique appraisals but be sure to read everything. Most of these sites are free but you may have to join but that is only giving your name and email address.
  • Ad

• antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • www.antiquesnavigator.com/.../

I always like to know the history behind my special pieces of furniture so if you are interested, here is an interesting link:

www.woodworkingnetwork.com/.../my_life_in_the_furniture_trade_127689113...

Thank you so much!! I will definitely check into it.