Finding the Value of a Vintage Wardrobe

Category Antiques
This is a guide about finding the value of a vintage wardrobe. Here are some tips about how to research the value of an antique piece of furniture.

I have a J.L. Metz wardrobe dresser I believe is what it's called. I have been told it's possibly an antique. I am trying to find out its possible value before I get rid of it.

Answers

Best Answer

This is in excellent condition and I wouldn't just give it away. It is a good idea to put this on Craig's list or even eBay to sell it. The condition your dresser is in should be sold for around $250.

Most people who are selling them on the lower end is because they are in poor condition and they don't want to fix them. The really high end ones are more than likely a bit older than yours and in excellent condition.

I have this wardrobe piece of furniture which I'm guessing was big in the 1930s. Anyone know?

Answers

Best Answer

I agree - it's a design typical of the 1930s. I couldn't venture a guess on the value, but judging by how much of this kind of mass-produced furniture was made and is still around, it's not likely to have much value other than sentimental.

Technically, this kind of piece is not called a wardrobe, but rather a chifferobe. Try an online search of 1930s chifferobes to see similar pieces.