Finding the Value of an Old Trunk?

An old wooden trunk.I want to know more about my antique trunk. I'm just curious what it is worth, but more importantly what do I actually have.

An old wooden trunk.

The lock on an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

The inside of an old trunk.

Answers

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 320 Answers
Best Answer

This is a rounded-top (also referred to as dome, curved, and barrel-top) steamer or "packer" trunk, popular in 1870-1920. This type of trunk originally were more expensive than flat-tops and remain slightly more valuable. The brass fittings are nice, and it appears the internal tray compartment is included. Very beautiful! Many manufacturers didnt mark their trunks or marked them with a simple paper label that didnt last. Assuming nothing has been altered, it may be worth several hundred U.S. dollars.

Answer this Question

17 More Questions

Hello, I have a large vintage storage trunk and I am looking at selling it, however, I don't know what it is worth. It is in excellent condition, with one scratch at the back.

It locks and I have 3 keys for it. The dimensions are: Height - 27.5", Width - 22.5", Length - 49".

The front of a storage trunk.

The back of a storage trunk.

A storage trunk from the side.

A storage trunk from the side.

A open storage trunk.

A open storage trunk.

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

I see people asking up to $200 for these, but haven't seen one sell in ages.

The caveat about the asking price is two fold--most offer "free shipping" which means the seller pays shipping and that will be huge on these (so their profits will be low--maybe under $50 depending on where they ship it to) and second, these are asking prices, not SOLD prices so there is no way to gauge (in what I can locate), actual sold values by region.

I see people selling beat up ones at the flea market for $5-10, but I never see anyone walking around with one to see if that is a good selling price.

These were a staple in college dorms for years (pre plastic tubs) so not a lot of them survived so that works in your favor.

Yours looks to be in nice shape. Is it wood or particle board or something else? The wood ones I would start in the $200 range, the particle board ones, maybe start at $175. Then you can take best offer.

Like other "furniture" type sales values are regional so if you are in a colleges town in a big city, for example, these may be a dime a dozen or if you are in a rural area, they may be scarce.

Post back how your sale goes! Fun item! Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

I have searched everywhere to find the maker, where this trunk came from, and its value. I see few trunks with wood slats going the opposite way except the camel back trunks?

A wooden chest with panels.

The inside of a wooden trunk.

The inside of a wooden chest.

The metal decoration on a wooden trunk.

The metal decorations on a wooden trunk.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for 2021. 31 Posts
Best Answer

This is a typical trunk of the late 1800s and early 1900s. At that time they were often covered in smooth metal, embossed or canvas. They have wood slats and metal banding. Your chest is covered in canvas, the metal brackets are stamped "Pat Mar 80" - patented in March 1880. By law items such as locks, latches, etc. had to have a patent date (if they were patented). This is very helpful in dating trunks. So, the timing is right, since the style of your trunk was in vogue around this time.

Sorry, I cannot understand what is written inside your trunk (on your photo). If it's Elm, then your trunk is made in England.

I don't know how high your trunk is. I see very often that antique trunks are called Steamer Trunk. True steamer trunk is a trunk, no more than about 14" high (width and length does not matter). This size requirement was one the steamship company's imposed.
If your trunk is no taller than 14 ", then you can name it Steamer Trunk ca. 1880. If no, then it's Flat Top Trunk ca. 1880.
I doubt you can find out more information about your trunk.

As I understand, you are selling this trunk for $ 300 www.ebay.com/.../224375621481?hash=item343dd44769...
The price is optimal.

Answer this Question

Hi everyone. I'm new to this, hope my questions are ok for this site. Basically, I'm looking to see if anybody knows the maker of this trunk? And also is it actually worth anything?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm clueless and I'm having no look searching as I dont know where to start. Thanks in advance.

An old wooden trunk.

An open wooden trunk.

An old wooden trunk.

An old wooden trunk.

The lock on a trunk.

Answers

Best Answer

I can't read the lock. Does it have a maker on it? Sometimes that is the best place to start as locks have year spans, then cross refence to who made trunks during that time.

Second, look at the hinges and see if they have a mark and what kind of screws they have. Screws help date pieces. www.worthpoint.com/.../screws-identify-age-furniture

I like this site to learn more about trunks! He is pretty outspoken, which is great! www.hmsantiquetrunks.com/trunk-faqs--trunk-myths.html

Post back what you learn and if you have better pictures, maybe we can collectively get you more info!

I am sorry, the pictures are just too blurry for me to help with more info.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

The arrow and #103 are probably just related to the lock but occasionally you can obtain information from lock company history.
The pictures are not good enough for identification so if you approach anyone for information you should take some good pictures so the actual trunk can be seen.

Pictures should be of the full front (not from way above the trunk) side, back, corner pieces and inside.

From some appearance it looks like your trunk could have been handmade, maybe in a small shop (all hinges, locks, etc have always been available for people to buy).

Here are some trunks that I found online that appear to be somewhat similar to your trunk so you can get an idea of how people are describing their trunks.
www.ebay.com/.../392650216714?hash=item5b6bc6d50a...
www.etsy.com/.../antique-steamer-trunk-treasure-chest...

Similar trunks are still being made:
www.homedepot.com/.../308319053

You may be able to ask your question on these sites (with good pictures) and find out more.
www.hmsantiquetrunks.com/contact.html
www.thisoldtrunk.com/.../index.html
www.antiquers.com/.../

You can also get an appraisal for $28 and find out everything about the trunk.
www.thisoldtrunk.com/.../index.php?main_page=product_info...

There may be some information on this site:
www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-an-Old-Trunk...

Answer this Question

Would anyone know the value of these old steamer trunks. My father worked for a moving company years ago. That is how we acquired them. They have been in family home garage for over 55 years.An old wooden steamer trunk.

Brown one is 20 in high and 32 inches wide. Black one is 24 in high and 35 inches wide.

An open wooden steamer trunk.

An old wooden steamer trunk.

An old wooden steamer trunk.

An old dark colored steamer trunk.

An open dark colored steamer trunk.

An old dark colored steamer trunk.

An old dark colored steamer trunk.

The clasp of an old steamer trunk.

Answer this Question

I came across this old chest and need help determining age and value. I was going to sand and paint or stain it but my neighbor said "no don't touch it get it appraised." Here are some pictures I took of it.

I haven't done any work to it. So any help would be appreciated, thank you.

An old wooden chest.

An open wooden chest.

The side of a wooden chest.

The back of a wooden chest.

The corner of a wooden chest.

The lock on a wooden chest.

The hinge on a wooden chest.

A wheel on an old chest.

The inside of an old chest.

The inside of an old chest.

Measuring an old chest.

Measuring an old chest.

Measuring an old chest.

Measuring an old chest.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

To tell you the truth on this one there is not much information about the manufacture to go on. However, I did search for older chests like this and they were very popular around the 19th century. Here is a really good article for you to read about chests. www.malle2luxe.fr/.../

The condition of your trunk is in very poor shape and the price you would get for selling this would not be much. When selling this online you'd need to take into consideration the shipping cost. Plus if you only sell this for pick-up only this limits the number of people who would be interested in this.

If this was mine and I wanted to display this in my home I would invest in the time to restore it, sand it down, clean it up, and stain it again. I feel this piece would really add to a living room or even a bedroom. I would not worry so much about selling this but instead using this in my home.

Best Answer

First - this seems to be a very nice antique/vintage steamer trunk and although it is difficult to actually tll condition from pictures most of your trunk looks to be in good condition and does not seem to be missing any hardware - which is very good. Almost no rust?
Your pictures are pretty good but you are missing a picture of the trunk fully open showing the front and the the inside lid. These should be taken at a lower angle and also at an almost full standing position. You need to be able to see the full trunk in opened position. It is very difficult to tell about the full inside lid and this may be an important piece of information.
The majority of older trunks do not have a brand name shown but some appraisers will know more about when and who made it.

I would say to not do anything to this trunk until you find out out more about it, especially what country made it - hopefully France as I believe their trunks are the most valuable - America - not so much.
You can take a look at similar trunks on eBay and Etsy so you can get an idea of what might be selling and also how sellers are presenting their pictures. You'll find the asking prices are very different but most will be 'pick up only' and that means only in your area.
www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2323012...
www.ebay.com/.../bn_7023285002

This is the link to actual trunks that sold over the past few months so check out the sold prices and where they are located.
www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=antique+vintage...

Your best option is to try and obtain information from legitimate appraisers just in case you have a valuable trunk.
You can go for some forums first as they many times have members who know a lot about these items - you'll have to join each site but post to all - just post main pictures and not all hardware unless they ask for more.
iantiqueonline.ning.com/.../forum
www.antiquers.com/.../
trapperman.com/.../Antique_trunk

Free appraisals:
www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html
instappraisal.com/

This site is probably the best but the charge is $28

Just information:
dustyoldthing.com/.../

Answer this Question

Can you give me a ballpark of approximate value and age?

An old wooden trunk.

An old trunk with the lid open.

Answers

Best Answer

Judging from the outside looks of the trunk I am not sure it this is actually dirt or in very poor condition. It would be nice to see the inside of the trunk to get a better idea about this trunk and what it looks like on the inside. Just by looking at the outside of this trunk, I would say that a person would not pay more than $35-50 for this trunk. I understand it is quite large for a standard trunk but the condition of this item lowers the value you will receive when sold. If you can clean this up a bit and make it look a lot nice you should be able to ask more for the trunk.

Best Answer

Your pictures show a vintage trunk in very bad condition - several missing pieces, damaged wood and overall condition makes it appear that only someone who wanted something to use in a shed or garage for storage would even take a second glance.
If the inside is in the same condition as these pictures show, it may not be suitable for storage either.
I do not believe cleaning this up would help the value.

Yard sale or flea market value (my opinion) would be less than $50 and according to where you are located, it may not sell.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about old trunks will have a better opinion.

You can always ask someone on a trunk forum for help:
trapperman.com/.../Antique_trunk
www.antiquers.com/.../

Answer this Question

I was told it is a European trunk. I am looking for more info on it. Thank you!

A wooden trunk.

A wooden trunk with the lid opened.

The inside of a wooden trunk.

Answer this Question
Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesMarch 16, 2018
🐛
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-an-Old-Trunk-1.html