Finding the Value of an Old Trunk?

Category Antiques
Old steamer trunks were a mainstay of a bygone era and can still be found in many antique stores and attics today. This is a page about finding the value of an old trunk.

I would love to know age of this trunk ? And possibly the maker? I am just curious. The liner is original. It is only missing the lock. I don't see any signs of it being refurbished.

Answers

Best Answer

Steamer trunks are still popular so there are forums around that have collectors who can sometimes help with questions like this.

Many of the trunks did not have 'brand' names but were just sold to stores/shops anywhere trunks were needed for travel.

Someone may be able to date it for you. Look at some of the posting so you can see what type of pictures most people want if they're going to be able to help you.

iantiqueonline.ning.com/.../forum

www.legacytrunks.com/What%20about%20my%20trunk.htm

www.antiquers.com/.../

thisoldtrunk.com/.../

Best Answer

This looks like an old sea trunk may be from the 1900-1950. If you check out camel back trunks this one looks the same as they do. A lot of trunks like this do not have any markings on them or a name of who has made the trunk. I think that a antique trunk dealer or shop in your area can assist you in identifying this a bit better than any of us can here. I would talk with them or visit an antique trunk forum online to post the images there to see if any collectors on the forum can help you out better.

I am looking for any information on date or production company of this chest.

Answers

This is called a Steamer Trunk- they range from $25 to over $1600 on ebay! You could take more pictures or take the piece to a antique furniture dealer/ appraiser for the age and origin of the piece!

They can also give the value!

Steamer trunk identification is very tricky and truly needs an expert, which I don't think the TF site has among our otherwise knowledgeable commentators, although Cybergrannie may have some info or knowledge or see something I am not seeing, so hopefully she will see your post and weigh in, if she hasn't already.

I am very familiar with many old things...but with trunks I have been burned because there are a ton of repros out there made and sold by places like Home Goods and Wayfarer that are designed to look old, but were made last week. It is a very hard nut to crack from one photo...and sometimes even from multiple photos.

I tried zooming on your photo and I can't get a good bead on if you have something old or a repro....it is going to take a true expert to tell you that and if they are going to do it by pictures, they are going to need lots of them...with sharp close ups of locks, corners, the inside, the bottom, etc. Even then, you still may need to take it to someone to do an in person review.

If you want to try an internet expert, this is one of them, if they are still in business: www.thisoldtrunk.com/

There are just too many variables here and I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Post back what you learn when you get it in front of expert eyes!

Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell me anything about this truck? It has American Window Glass Company Pittsburgh Pa. stamped on the wood inside.

I have an Eveleigh trunk. It has never been refinished. I just kinda want to know any info on it.

Answers

According to this website, the trunks were made in Canada and sold in New York City. www.brettunsvillage.com/.../

Trunks are very difficult for laypeople to date as we can only go by what is available on the Internet and many times trying to date a trunk is strictly by provenance and information like this cannot usually be found doing this type of research.

You may have to try to find out where this trunk has been in the past - in your family? Any clues to who had it before? Or is this something you purchased that had no prior information available? Keep track of any tidbits of information as one note may lead into another lead.

Here is a link on Google to images for Eveleigh trunks so you may see a similar picture and sometimes there is information pertaining to the trunk so click on anything that looks interesting.

www.google.com/search?q=eveleigh+trunk&client=firefox...

Here is site that has a lot of information on vintage trunks that you may find interesting. It also has tips on refinishing.

antiquetrunksandchests.com/.../

This is a very good site for anyone looking for information about antique or vintage trunks.

www.brettunsvillage.com/.../

well this is one of many a model and brand of steamer trunk utilized in the past in intercontinental travel which happened essentially in boat back in the day.

They also have models that were like an actual wardrobe - long, with a pole to hang

a trunk such as this has great decorative appeal as it bespeaks to a bygone era of safaris, the earliest incursions into the reaches of the British Empire (think Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness), the romance of ship voyages where you spent weeks enclosed with total strangers fielding seasickness and storms, and general adventureness in a pre-computer pre-airplane pre-everything world.

they are also incredibly functional and can serve to store any number of things

Learning about trunks can be a blast!!! I have a bunch of sites I like to peruse when I get in the mood to write about old timey traveling and need background info.

Maybe these sites at the end of the message--they (like me) are kind of all over the place with different pieces of history and a little about value.

If you are asking to value it, you can research sold prices on line through eBay or just plain old Google and if you can find an exact match for yours online that SOLD, you will know today's exact market value.

The challenge here is with trunks it is usually impossible to find an exact match, because they got damaged, handy men (and gals) modified them, some have travel stickers all over them, some have been refinished, etc. These were very personal pieces so an exact match is almost like a unicorn. You can figure general value by looking at the SOLD items, but be careful to pick something as close as yours in condition, style etc. as possible.

Enjoy your piece!! They are quite flexible in modern days making lovely storage chests, wall mounted book cases, etc. If you do Pinterest just put Truck Crafts into the search and you will open a treasure trove of goodness!

progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/.../we-used-to-make-things-in-this-country_16...

iantiqueonline.ning.com/.../discussions?groupId=1813674%3AGroup...

archive.org/.../WholesalePriceListJ.EveleighCo.ManufacturersOfTrunksTravelling

www.instappraisal.com/.../eveleigh-baggage-trunk-canada-eagle...

I have an older chest with an Eagle Lock Co. 8446F from Terryville, CONN USA label. Can I sell it as is, and how much is it worth?

Answers

Who made the chest? Look for identifying marks inside or on the edge.

Neat item. Looks like a pretty common black military style footlocker. Probably from the 1940s/1950s. It is in pretty rough shape.

Where I am, these are a dime a dozen and don't sell.

I see on eBay they sell (SOLD PRICES) in the range of $50-80--most are local pick up or buyer pays shipping so that increases the value a little since shipping these is very costly with the new dimensional shipping the USPS has imposed on over sized packages.

I see on places like Charish they are ASKING in the hundreds for them (but those are pristine).

Ask around at local vintage dealers what they retail for in your town and then you can ask 1/4 to 1/2 of retail.

Thanks for sharing!!

It is possible to sell anything you want online. There are always a person who is looking for certain items. You do not need to recondition the chest and you can sell it like it is. You may be able to get around $35 to $80 for the item. I would start off high and lower the price.

Anyone know any information about this trunk and what it might be worth?

Answers

It would be difficult to give you a good price from your photo. Here is an excellent way to determine the value of your old trunk. This guide will help you determine the value of your trunk.
www.kovels.com/.../trunks.html

Here is a good reference guide about trunks. Here you can read about the FAQs and the myths of old trunks.
www.hmsantiquetrunks.com/trunk-faqs--trunk-myths.html

If you had some manufacturer or model or serial number it would help to determine who made it and when it was made. It doesn't look kind it is in good condition

Your photos appear to show a vintage/antique trunk in not very good condition (overall) so it would have to be a very rare item to be worth a good price.
You would most likely have to ask an antique dealer to give you an appraisal (careful - they may want to charge you more than the trunk is worth) as this is the sort of thing that takes knowledge of what signs and "markings" to look for. Any information that you can gather would also help with an evaluation but even then a true value is only what it can be sold for (what someone will actually pay).
Did you acquire this someplace that did not give any background on where it came from or even what part of the world/country it came from or ?? Have you been able to find any markings anywhere on this trunk - inside drawer or bottom/back?
here is an interesting article about this type of trunk but no really ideas on value. The second and thrived links are to present listings on eBay and also a link showing what a few trunks actually sold for. Maybe you can find a similar item.

www.brettunsvillage.com/.../

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2487218...

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=antique%20trunks...

Does anyone know the maker of this type of trunk?

Answers

You will have to look on the bottom, inside and on the lock for identifying markings

Hi I believe have the same trunk. Were you able to identify it?
Thanks Carol

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesMarch 16, 2018
🐛
📓
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-an-Old-Trunk-1.html