Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl

old trunk
You can refurbish an old or plain trunk by covering it with colorful vinyl. This is a guide about recovering a trunk with vinyl.

Clever and thrifty people, do you have tips on recovering an old college trunk with vinyl? It is not antique, just a trunk used in a dorm room. I'd like to recover it and use it as a coffee table. Thanks in advance.

By Karla from New England

Best Answer

You can recover it with a shower curtain,cut into pieces so it's easy to handle,you might can use pretty thumb tacks to attach it to trunk if it's made of wood or use wall paper glue, go to Lowe's for more info, good luck.

Best Answer

Any possibility of painting the trunk? It would be so much easier than the vinyl covering.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Long, long ago I covered a small chest with contact paper. I precut the pieces for the top and sides to fit inside the chest edging with an Exacto knife and then carefully pulled back a small portion of the backing on one edge, carefully put it in place, and smoothed down on to the surface of the chest (being careful to get out the bubbles) and then kept doing the same thing until the entire piece was laid. It took a lot of patience but it was worth the effort and I used that chest for about a decade as a table until I finally purchased a new table. Thereafter I used the chest for storage again.

Brilliant ideas! I would love to just paint it, but the cheap cardboard-ish edges are worn and fuzzy. Also, we will certainly be putting our feet on it, which is why I was thinking vinyl.

But all of these tips give me next steps to try. THanks!