Finding the Value of a Vintage Dresser

Finding the value of a a vintage dresser can depend on several things. Knowing the era and manufacturer definitely can help. Then the condition of the piece and its appeal will also play a part.

Can anyone tell me when this Johnson Carper French provincial dresser was made and is it worth much? It looks to have been painted.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a different style chest, but also Johnson Carper and French Provincial. The asking price is $499.

Best Answer

The dresser does not look to be in very good condition and good condition is what makes vintage furniture sell and also what brings in good money. I am assuming the damaged places on the top are where the "new" paint is coming off?

• Most of the time, painting is the worst possible thing you can do to vintage/antique furniture. Refurbishing generally always reduces the value by half or more and makes it difficult to sell. And a messed up paint job could make it impossible to sell - or to sell for more than $50-$75.
  • I believe the only people who might be interested in your dresser would be a furniture re-finisher/shop owner that thinks they can make some money by completely redoing it or someone who really needs drawer space and does not care very much about the looks.
  • Your dresser is the smaller size and would probably sell for $300-$400 if it was in good condition.
  • Here are a couple of links to similar dressers (not necessarily Johnson Carper) so you can see the similar style. This does not mean these will sell for the listed price (or any price). These dressers are in pretty good condition but not spotless. Also, these items are for local pick up only as they would be too costly to ship which means the sale may also depend on the size of city the dresser is located in.
  • Advertisement

• www.ebay.com/.../142433186965?hash=item2129adf495...
  • www.ebay.com/.../112636899790?hash=item1a39aeb1ce...
  • Here is a link that shows a similar dresser (larger dresser with mirror) sold in 2015 but probably pretty much the same today.
  • www.ebth.com/.../1929876-johnson-carper-french-provincial...
  • If you are interested in selling your dresser, I would suggest you list it on your local sale sites; Craigslist, IOffer, LetGo, 4Sale, etc.
  • You could start the price at $150 and see if anyone is interested as you can always reduce the price if necessary.
  • Good luck, I hope it is worth a lot more.

I have a 1930s highboy chest of drawers, made by American Ball Co. and designed by Russell Wright. It is blonde maple wood with rectangular pulls. It is stamped on the inside of a drawer.

It is 46 in. high, 33 in.wide and 20 in.-deep. The pulls on drawers are 1/4 in.x 10 in.across. It is in excellent condition.

Answers

Best Answer

Conant Ball closed in 1980.
According to this website a 6-drawer dresser sold for $700. www.justcollecting.com/.../conant-ball-furniture-company-information

Best Answer

These are neat pieces!! You are lucky to have something that has held its value!!

Online I have seen exact pieces like this selling between 100 and 1,200 dollars. Why the huge range? The lower price are where people (individuals) sold it on sites like PicClick or LetGo or Facebook Marketplace. The high prices are SOLD prices from auction houses around the country.

You would do best selling this through a vintage store/antique dealer (even though it is not a true antique). You will get more for it that way (at least where I am that is the case). Most people will not pay big bucks for famous designer furniture when Jane Smith sells it, but if Jane Smith Antique Boutique on FUFU street sells it in the city, they pay it!

You will get a percentage of the sale, but it will still be more than you would fetch selling it yourself.

These are classic pieces that will last a lifetime!!

Post back where you are located and how much it fetches for you!!

Thanks for sharing this classic!!!

Best Answer

Hi,
You have a very beautiful chest of drawers.
The specific type is a Russel Wright (American Modern) Maple Secretaire - Snyders, made in the 1930 era.

I have found one, of the same style, and it is going for a little over $1900.00. Here is the link:

www.1stdibs.com/.../

I would say you will get a great price on this piece. It has stayed in excellent condition, in my opinion.

Have a blessed day,

Robyn

These were purchased by my aunt approximately 50 years ago. I ended up with them when I last moved, and my kids have been using them for several years now. I'm in the process of moving again and they are way too heavy and outside of our taste to justify moving. I cannot locate any markings on either of them. They are very heavy. How can I find out a ballpark figure for what they are worth?

Answers

Best Answer

I remember this style of furniture was popular in the 60's but it may be difficult to sell as most people will use some of the same reasons as you - too heavy, vintage but not antique, unknown brand/company, too dark. But, you just never know when someone will see these pieces and these could be just what they are looking for.

• Take the top drawers out and look closely inside and outside as there may be some type of name or symbol. If there is a wood layer/partition under/between the drawers, use a flash light and look there also. Look on the back of both pieces also.
  • If you cannot find any names/markings don't be discouraged as there was a lot of good sturdy (real wood) furniture manufactured that did not show a company name.
  • I would suggest you seek some free appraisals (online) and see what one of these people tell you about these pieces.
  • An appraisal will give you a ball park figure but it will not mean you may actually sell it for that price. Furniture usually sold on eBay will have a "no shipping" or "pick up only" so it is like selling it on your local Craigslist for a buyer in your local area.
  • You can check out some of these sites to see what value they place on your pieces. Be sure to have some good photos and measurements and list any defects (missing drawer pull).
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Barneby's is the best site but they charge $17 for an appraisal.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../
  • If you wind up asking a "good" price for your pieces, be prepared to not be in a hurry for a sale but feel very fortunate if you do get a fast sale.
  • Some people think that an appraisal is a "waste of time" but potential buyers like to see an official appraisal and it can be a good selling point.
Best Answer

Just checking is it possible that this is 40+ years old vs 50+? I ask because I get more of a mid to early 1970s vibe from the furniture...vs 60s. 1970s furniture is much more ornate than the clean lines of 60's pieces. That might help with your research.

That said I am dealing with a very similar situation now and am having a bear of a time finding anyone interested in similar pieces. My next step is going to an auction house that specializes in small estates just to get them out of the apartment we are disbanding.

Let me know how your search/sale goes and I will let you know what the auction house says. Thanks!

We found a lovely dresser with a mirror. It has a copper nameplate on the back of the mirror that gives the name Lammerts. How can I peruse pictures of Lammerts dressers so I can find a match it to. I want to learn more about the dresser with its mirror and find its value?

Answers

Best Answer

If it looks anything like this one its worth $12. www.ebth.com/.../4267891-lammerts-vintage-french-provincial...

Best Answer

Lammerts was in business for 150 years but closed the last store in about 2007. It seems they made/sold a lot of sort-of inexpensive and finer furniture until about 1970 when they started selling only the finer style pieces.

• Here is a link to a Google search that has only Lammert dressers so you may be able to find one like yours.
  • www.google.com/search?q=Lammerts+Dresser&client...
  • Here is site that shows one style dresser sold in 2016 for $81.
  • movinonestateauctions.com/.../
  • It is difficult to place a value on pieces like this as the condition and where you are located will have a big effect on the actual value.
  • You may be able to find some information on your dresser after you have determined the actual name/style.

Here is a link to check out if you are interested in information about the company.

www.stltoday.com/.../article_82472e0e-de2c-53ac-819f-e591efb1f3ef...

l was wondering if any one could help me. Is this dresser vintage or antique? What year? Has it a name? And its value ?

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a beautiful piece, but I would need a lot more info to help you figure out what it is.

Antique means over 100 years old and gut feeling says it is more of a late 1930s or early 1940s piece if it is an original and not a reproduction. I am basing that only on what I can see which are the handles and the little casters.

Are the drawers dovetail or nailed, glued, screwed together? That would help date it.

Is the mirror beveled or smooth?

As for what it is...There is almost a custom or hand made look to this with the unusual design around the mirror. This has me so curious.

I am not convinced it is a dresser. It feels (to me) more like a sideboard. Dressers usually go to the floor to maximize storage. This does not.

You may be best served taking it to an antique dealer and getting his/her guidance on what it is and the value of it where you are.

Please post back with more info and if you do talk to a pro first, what he/she says.

Thanks for sharing it!! It is stunning!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureOctober 1, 2019
🎃